Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 Parts Manual?

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum. I'm putting together a 1947 M5 Coupe Express that I tore apart about 15 years ago (don't ask!) and don't remember where everything fits. I think I need a parts manual but hate to spend the $50 if I don't have to. Has anyone digitalized a parts manual and made it available on the web? Sure would be nice. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the forum Dan! This a good place to come for help, and for fun. I am not aware of a digitized shop manual on the internet, but you might be able to find on on CD, as I have some stuff on CD, but don't know if it is available for your truck. Another thing you could try, is to look on Ebay for a used one, you might be able to find one cheaper.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thanks, Dylan. I'll keep looking. There was an original parts manual on Ebay but it was about the same price as a new reproduction. Anybody have a copy they could reference? Right now there's a specific part I'm curious about. I think it goes from the front crossmember of the frame to support the upright frame that the radiator fastens to. I don't seem to have anything that will fit for this and I'm not sure just what it should look like. If it's just a shaped piece of metal strap I may be able to fab one, but a picture sure would help.
      Dan

Comment

The radiator support attaches to the front crossmember with a 1/2" x 4 1/8" or 6" bolt (depending on your serial number) that may still be in your support. Between the support and the crossmember is a 2"x3" rubber pad of various thicknesses, again depending on your serial number, and a metal shim that again varies in thickness depending on your serial number. A coil spring, cup washer, regular washer, and nut are below the crossmember. An adjustable rod goes between the top of the radiator support and the firewall.

As you can see, to do it right you need the parts book. Its well worth the price.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Jones
        Tucson Arizona
        1947 M-5

Comment

Hey, thanks a lot, Jeff. Your description helped a bunch. I do have the bolt and washers you describe. It just seemed to be too off set to bolt directly through the holes. I will fool aroung with it some more. I just primered some of the parts so I can't work with the just now. You are probably right, I should break down and buy the parts book. Too often I try to do the cheap or easy solution and live to regret it. Your truck looks great. What kind of running gear do you have? I did a frame up and grafted a K member and torsion bar suspension from a '68 Dart into my front end and put the 8 3/4" rear end in. I will start on the 318 engine next. Thanks again.

Comment

My M has a Studebaker 259 engine, GM TH350 transmission, GM rear, Fatman's Mustang II front suspension, reworked stock rear suspension, Corvette master cylinder and booster with a MasterPower pedal assy., and a 67 Ford pickup steering column (because I had one). I have about 16,000 miles on it with no problems. Drives and handles fine, and is a good conversation piece wherever I drive it.

If you don't already have a radiator, use the search function here--there are a coupe of modern radiators that will fit the M support.

Jeff Jones
            Tucson Arizona
            1947 M-5

Comment

'41-'48 M manuals are available on CD-ROM for about $20.00 from many of our vendors.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. Esp. the tip about the radiator, Jeff.

Comment

Dan,
                  Why not try to contact Studebaker International. They carry a stock of manuals for all types of Studebakers. I'll bet that they can help you.
                  Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                  X