Rural Router, how many still exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rural Router, how many still exist?

My father delivered the mail on a rural route for many years. (He passed away last spring.) Guess that's why I'm interested in vehicles built for the postal service.

What features made a rural router different?
    What years were they offered?
    Have some survived?

Thanks in advance to all who respond to this...

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
    Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
    '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '53 John Deere 50
    '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
    '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Oo, this is interesting! I've never heard of a Rural Router! Is that like the Zip Vans? The fellow out of Red Bluff used a Zip Van to deliver up on Mt Lassen. Payne's Creek and Shingle House were twenty eight and thirty-five miles out of town.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

My understanding is they were heavy duty Larks (Like a taxi or police car) maybe with right hand drive.

My aunt delivered mail like her brother (my dad) and she would order dual controls, like some driver's ed cars...

Unfortunatly, the family never tried Studebakers...

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
      Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
      '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
      '66 Ford F-250
      '53 John Deere 50
      '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
      '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Comment

Ron, Rural Routers were specially made for the postie and some of them were in RHD as that was easier, guess the driver leant out the window and left the mail in the box. Sorry I can't be more specific as I gave another club member the brochure I had on them.

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Oooooohhhh... huh? Kinda like a Lark or other earlier sedan? I'm afraid I grew up in the Lark era. So, they and the Zip Vans are all I'm familliar with.

Hey John, aren't you the one who has that beautiful Orange-Sherbert Hawk in Sal's barn? What a sweet car!

Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Rural Routers were in fact RHD. I'm guessing they also hade some sort of HD shock and cooling system. I'm sure somebody with more info will post soon. Last year one turned up on eBay, rough but fairly solid and complete. Sold for less than a grand.

John C.- I am a mail carrier, and we do indeed drive from the RH seat and put the mail in the boxes. For years one could get either a Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler, or a Subaru wagon with factory RHD. I've never been interested because neither of the Jeeps have enough cargo space and I wouldn't own a Subaru. I use a Dodge Grand Caravan with All Wheel Drive- one of the toughest vehicles I've ever seen, and ideal for the job. I have absolutely no problem driving it from the RH seat; in fact I prefer LHD since I hold the mail on my lap.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

earlier this month I Found this in a Missouri paper:
              1962 STUDEBAKER Lark, right hand drive, needs restored, $850.
              314-473-6710.

ex mail carrier's car maybe?

Alphues
              58 packard H.T.

Comment

Here is the brochure.

Leonard Shepherd
                http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Leonard always seems to come through with a great pic!

Chris Pile
                  Editor: The Studebaker Special
                  http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Stephen Cade had one awhile back. I think it was a 62. He offered it to me for ,I think, around 1500.00. But it wasn't anything I was looking for. The last time I was at his place I didn't see it. I don't know what happened to it. NT

Neil Thornton
                    Hazlehurst, GA
                    '57 Silver Hawk
                    '56 Sky Hawk
                    '51 2R16 dump truck
                    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Ron, I'm in Australia and don't have a car in Sal's garage. Bams, how do you drive a LHD car from the RH seat? Dual control?

John Clements
                      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                      Lockleys South Australia
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Pop Quiz: Take a close look at the brochure photo Leonard posted.

It illustrates an unusual design requirement of RHD 1963 and 1964 Rural-Routers, a product change not necessary for 1962 and older Rural-Routers. This required deviation from "regular," LHD production is not readily apparent unless you look for it.

What is it? BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My Lark swag....
                          Wiper position on cowl reversed?
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

It illustrates an unusual design requirement of RHD 1963 and 1964 Rural-Routers, a product change not necessary for 1962 and older Rural-Routers. This required deviation from "regular," LHD production is not readily apparent unless you look for it.

What is it? BP

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

My Lark swag....
                            Wiper position on cowl reversed?
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

What is it? BP
                            BINGO, Jeff.

Geeze, that was too easy, I guess.

Nonetheless, consider all the tooling, etc, required to change wiper positions for RHD models. Not as cheap as one might think. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ron the 61 hawk in Sals garage is Ian Mackellars and it will be coming down here for me to get packed and ready to ship to Australia....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X