Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something to be grateful for…our parts supplies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to be grateful for…our parts supplies.

Last night I was reading the latest Hemmings Classic Car
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

John,

We're fortunate to have such a big club - with so MANY Studes being maintained/revived - that there's a profit incentive for vendors to pursue things like you talk about.

There ARE some instances where a given piece becomes rare enough to start thinking about re-popping them while seemingly not profit-worthy for vendors. A good case in point would be the '61 Lark taillight lenses. While it's easy enough to cast a plastic lens, getting the "chrome" coloration done on the inside is cost-prohibitive. And like recent efforts to get some performance parts remade - everyone cheers in approval, but when it's time to collect funds....[xx(]

Think -----> CASO. [:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tail light lenses... yeah, '61, '62, '63... Then again there's '53, '54, '55... again, pick a year, and thank your lucky stars you don't own a Packard (huge very fragile, very rare, tail lights)! One thing I've also noticed about this club, is that there are a lot of people like me. ie: people without a lot of money. We, all of us who love Studebakers, are blessed to have a relatively inexpensive classic car. Inexpensive to buy, and likewise to keep up. I hope it stays that way, but you know the adage: nothing stays the same...

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There is another article about Studebakers Daytonas in Indianapolis and
        Bob Palma was in the article, on page 10.

Bob recently came across the factory order sheets for two peculiar 1962 Studebaker Lark Daytonas - the exact two were used as pace cars for the A Indianapolis 500 of that year. Most importantly, we know their serial numbers: 62V38990 and 62V39027.

Does anyone own one of those?

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

http://studebakerspeedster.blogspot....s-new-v-8.html

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Parts are a good thing. Very good. That is one of many reasons I love Studebaker.
            I sincerely hope the parts availability will remain far into the future. Now... If somebody would just reproduce bodies for 1953-54 Stude hardtops... Wouldn't that be better than a repop 1957 Chevy[xx(][xx(][|)]?

LH

Comment

Yes, we are truly lucky to have so many parts available for our beloved Studes. It's interesting that there were cars, including the independents, that sold in greater numbers than Studebaker, yet their parts supplies don't come close to Stude. Interesting phenomenon.
              As someone stated, we're a large club with a large number of Studebakers out there. So it's in the best interest of parts vendors to make sure they can supply their Studebaker customers.
              One final comment: I really hope that something can be done to save SASCO'S huge inventory. I know I'm not the only one.
              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Tail light lenses... yeah, and thank your lucky stars you don't own a Packard (huge very fragile, very rare, tail lights)! Ron Smith
                It's better to "Ask a man who owns one" [)]

Those '56-'58 Packard lenses have already been re-popped!!!
                I'm guessin' that you can thank the kustom krowd for that one.
                [:0]

Thank you kustom krowd!!!

(Cleo needs a set...) []

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I think a big part of the answer is in the Club's middle name: Driver's!
                  I visit Jay Leno's Garage website often, and I've heard him comment on the link between old cars being driven and the parts supply. An example is the Bentley club. They focus on the years before W.O. Bentley sold out to Rolls Royce, so the cars are from the Teens and Twenties, yet all vital parts are available! Jay says it's because the club encourages driving, sponsoring many events to get the cars on the road and in front of the public!

Remember that next time you wear out a part and need to replace it, you are helping to insure that the next generation will still be able to buy that part! So get out on the road! Keep the demand for Studebaker parts alive![8D]

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
                  Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
                  '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
                  '66 Ford F-250
                  '53 John Deere 50
                  '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
                  '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raprice
                    One final comment: I really hope that something can be done to save SASCO'S huge inventory. I know I'm not the only one.
                    Rog
                    I spoke to Dennis today, verifying an order for Bess parts. The poor fellow had to listen to me moan again about his situation. Dennis is so patient with me (LOL), bless him, sure wish there was a solution to SASCO's situation too! I would have loved to have spent a day or two, maybe three... just wandering around and drooling.[] Problem is, Dennis would probably have insisted I mop up. Seriously though, it would have been nice to see the place before the end...[V]

Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp. will really be missed when that sad day comes.

Ron Smith
                    Ron Smith

Comment

At least you guys have be3en to SASCO and seen the Factory, by the time I get to SB they'll be long gone and forgotten.

I imagine Ed Reynolds will be the best shot in Future.

John Clements
                      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                      Lockleys South Australia
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John, I live in the same country, yet SASCO might as well be in Australia for all the chance I have of seeing it. You're in a biiiig boat, and there's a lot of us in it with you.

Ron Smith
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                        X