Studebaker Wagon???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Wagon???

I was conducting a fire inspection this past week and what did I stumble up on? I asked the guy what are those wagons in the corner? berfore "er" in Studebaker was out of his mouth I was underneath taking a good look at it. It appears to be complete and it is in dry storage for a new museum that is going to be built in the county someday. I spoke to him about my 54 that I am restoring and he asked me to get some info on the wagon if possible. I did not have my camera so I will try to go back take some photos and post them soon. I mean my gosh its in the old grammer school i went to when I was young two blocks away. I think I should be able to get back there if there is any interest in it. The studebaker is still legible on the side. Give me some feedback and tell me what to look for when I return to take those pictures.

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745

With "Studebaker" on the side, it sounds like a basic, common farm wagon. Of course Studebaker made many different wagons, buggies, carriages, etc. for many years. A picture or two will probably help narrow things down. Look for any metal ID tags on the axles.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

ok thanks, I had no idea where to look

Domenic Manera
      York, SC 29745

Comment

Dominic,
        The South Carolina chapter of the SDC should have members that can help you with your research, and may be able to help the county with the restoration.
        Your SC chapter contact is:
        Palmetto Chapter (Central SC). Dorothy Sheldon, 864-445-3977
        HTIH
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studehunter

I was conducting a fire inspection this past week and what did I stumble up on? I asked the guy what are those wagons in the corner? berfore "er" in Studebaker was out of his mouth I was underneath taking a good look at it. It appears to be complete and it is in dry storage for a new museum that is going to be built in the county someday. I spoke to him about my 54 that I am restoring and he asked me to get some info on the wagon if possible. I did not have my camera so I will try to go back take some photos and post them soon. I mean my gosh its in the old grammer school i went to when I was young two blocks away. I think I should be able to get back there if there is any interest in it. The studebaker is still legible on the side. Give me some feedback and tell me what to look for when I return to take those pictures.

Domenic Manera
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Domenic,
          When are you going back? I would be willing to drive from Greer to York to look it over with you. (Have camera...will travel).
          I am no expert, but two sets of eyes are (sometimes) better. Over the years I have been offered several wagons that claimed to be Studebakers. Most authentic Studes have a factory ID somewhere on them. Most of the ones offered to me didn't and the ones that did were priced beyond what I was willing to pay.

John Clary
          Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Years ago, John, I often had the same experiance. I used to broker the sales of Antique Carriages as a hobby. People would call me offering a 'Studebaker' for sale. Upon examining the vehicle I would find it to be an inferior marriage of parts. They'd use steps and sometimes other parts with the Studebaker name on it. This was done as the name can often double the value of a vehicle. The only name more valuable than Studebaker in (American) carriages is Brewster, who only made 'town' or finer vehicles, no wagons.

Domenic, please do go back and get some pictures! I, for one, would love to see them.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I am glad that Ron S. chimed in on this. He and Gary H. know much more about these non-motorized Studebakers than I ever will.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

There was an ad on E-bay recently for a Studebaker wagon that claimed Studebaker was the only wagon manufacturer that used that wheel design. I dont know if thats true myself nor what was different about them but if it is true someone here will be able to verify that and tell you how to identify them as Studebaker wheels. At any rate I would also like to see the pics. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

There was an ad on E-bay recently for a Studebaker wagon that claimed Studebaker was the only wagon manufacturer that used that wheel design. I dont know if thats true myself nor what was different about them but if it is true someone here will be able to verify that and tell you how to identify them as Studebaker wheels. At any rate I would also like to see the pics. Steve
                  I believe that they are referring to the slope shoulder spoke. I think that the only way to verify if they are the Studebaker design is to remove a spoke from the hub. I can't imagine a seller allowing a buyer to do that.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

I believe that they are referring to the slope shoulder spoke. I think that the only way to verify if they are the Studebaker design is to remove a spoke from the hub. I can't imagine a seller allowing a buyer to do that.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    It is my understanding that the spoke design was a Studebaker innovation for stronger wheels and they were first to use it. However, we are talking about "wood" here and any competent wheelwright could have copied it... after all...the copying of another persons work is the sheerest form of flattery. I think I have heard that several times.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, my schedule is pretty flexible give me a call at the fire station at 803-684-1700 and we can set up a time to go over and check it out. It would be great to have someone who knows something about them go with me. All I know is its a wagon and has Studebaker on the side of it. It looks complete to me but hey, what do I know. Call me and lets get it done Im excited to see what it is. I also would love to share some other great finds with a fellow stude nut.

Domenic Manera
                      York, SC 29745

Comment

I'm really interested in what you found. Out here in California, I found a Studebaker Wagon from the 1880's the owner said. He wants 3,500 for it. It looks like its original considering its more than a hundred and twenty years old. I'll try to get pictures as well.
                        Thanks

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

Working...
                        X