One more victim of somedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more victim of somedy

Was rolling along the highway by West Branch, Iowa trolling for food, when i spotted a group of cars on a hill.
    So i took the next exit and discovered a sign that said Cars On A Hill next left. This was almost as good as a visit to OZ in Kansas. And besides I'd seen a sign ahum.

One of the cars was this old Stude (the cars are for sale) which i'm sure was at one time someones pride and joy project. I got part of that clue from the multiple boxes of now nots so new boxes of parts. Many of which still had the mailing address on them.

Savable stude or just parts in a parts car. Will it and it's contents survive. Or will it always be a Car on the hill slowly fading away in arusty sunset.

That looks like a nice, early Toronado next to the Studebaker.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

That looks like a nice, early Toronado next to the Studebaker.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      yes it is,one of three fairly nice cars in the bunch. Most were beyond bondo

Comment

Drivers club emblem on the windshield. Anybody know this one? Im not interested in it myself but others here might be. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

Drivers club emblem on the windshield. Anybody know this one? Im not interested in it myself but others here might be. Steve
          Close as i can tell, the parts were shipped to A John Schmihsn
          (last two letters are hard to read) of Liberty,Kansas. No telling whats in the trunk.

Comment

This car looks (sadly) like one of those projects too often lost in the shuffle of life. In another thread we discussed the "Restoration Process" and how to organize it. Dick Steinkamp laid out a very practical approach to organizing and prioritizing a project. I, on the other hand, mentioned how my approach was more of an evolution from an original intention of a "fix-up project" to a full blown restoration. Many projects probably could be accomplished in a matter of weeks or months by a paid professional properly organized and motivated by money. The reality for most of us is the obstacles of our daily lives. For instance...you might be the only one in your family who has an imagination to see the finished results. Your wife might (understandably) not appreciate the ratty seats of your project being stashed behind the living room couch for months or years on end. (A disassembled car will occupy the room of about 5 assembled cars)...you might have to pause your project long enough to cut the knee high grass and paint the Garage because your insurance company is threatening to cancel your policy. Your restoration budget was raided to buy a beauty pageant dress, wedding dress, or pay for college tuition, replace the old worn out appliances in the house, etc. My project took six years...not six years worth of work...sometimes it just languished while "life happened." However, I never gave up. I wonder how many never make it. I suspect that most that don't have a good reason.(Man...this is depressing!)...SO!...the "Bright Side"...more parts for the rest of us!

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looked thru the '01, '04 &'07 rosters and don't see a name even close to that in the Kansas section or in the alphabetical list of names in the back of the roster.[V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Looked thru the '01, '04 &'07 rosters and don't see a name even close to that in the Kansas section or in the alphabetical list of names in the back of the roster.[V]
                best i could with the picture through the side window. I'm assuming from the address that parts were delivered to a trailer park in Liberty,Iowa

Comment

That's a real bummer. I don't even want to know the number of cars that end up in this predicament. They litter the landscape, begging someone to save them. Usually, many attempts are made over the years by interested persons trying to liberate these autos, to no avail. I will guess that everyone here has a pocket full of responses used by the person that answers the door to ward off interested parties. That '69 Toro looks like it may have quite a bit of cancer, too, as viewed from the reflection from Champion's side window.

LH

Comment

I read that name-on-the-box as either

John Schmiller or John Schmillen

I could find no listing for John Schmiller

However, I did find a listing for a John Schmillen...
                    not in North Liberty, Iowa...
                    but nearby. If anyone is interested in persuing this, here is what I found:

John F Schmillen
                    183 Ravencrest Dr
                    Iowa City, IA 52245-3927
                    (319) 338-3570

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MotorHead

I read that name-on-the-box as either

John Schmiller or John Schmillen

I could find no listing for John Schmiller

However, I did find a listing for a John Schmillen...
                      not in North Liberty, Iowa...
                      but nearby. If anyone is interested in persuing this, here is what I found:

John F Schmillen
                      183 Ravencrest Dr
                      Iowa City, IA 52245-3927
                      (319) 338-3570
                      The car is sitting on Dave's Auto Sales lot aka: Old Cars On The Hill. There is also a mid fifties two door champ but the pics didn't turn out well. Here's the info!
                      Dave's Auto Sales
                      (Old Cars On The Hill*)
                      1956 Charles Ave
                      West Branch, IA 52358-8501
                      Phone: (319) 643-2280

Comment

Ahh... They are for sale. My bad...

Comment

Holes in hood indicate "48 or '49.

Richard

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Hunter

Ahh... They are for sale. My bad...
                            Yep they're for sale but no one was home and i wouldn't have known if i hadn't have tracked them down on a whim after seeing them from the far side of the freeway.

Comment

Working...
                            X