X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by raprice

Gary, wow, you're married 46 years? Where did you go wrong? (Henny Youngman joke). Actually, my wife & I will be married 45 years next month.
    Happy Anniversary.
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Thanks, and Happy Anniversary to you two also!

My wife, Cathy, grew up in your "neck of the woods." She was living in West Babylon and we met in Oyster Bay.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• raprice
    replied
    Gary, wow, you're married 46 years? Where did you go wrong? (Henny Youngman joke). Actually, my wife & I will be married 45 years next month.
    Happy Anniversary.
    Rog

Smithtown,NY

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    Maternal granddad had at least two Studebakers...this '49 Champion 4dr, seen with Mom in 1956...

...and this Starlight, which we think was either a green '51 or a tan '52. This is the only photo of it, taken as Mom arrived at her wedding to Dad in September 1958...the gent on the left is my granddad.

We've been mostly a Pontiac family in the years since; as far as I know the next Studebaker in the family after these two was a certain blue '62 Lark...

S.

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by jclary
    [br

Let's see Bob...you were born 9 months after your parents purchased this car...Hmmm...Drive-in movies were very popular back then...you might be more connected to this car than most!

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John, I have thought of that often and use it as a claim for the sentimental attachment I have to the car. Like I said, exactly the same age.

I also forgot to mention, as others have, the other Studes in my family. My dad had a 30, a 40, my 50, a 57 Hawk, and a 64 Daytona. He swore by them, and I learned that from him.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• 50Champ
    replied
    quote:
    How tall is the guy on the left-about 4' 6"? The car is taller than he is....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    No relatives of mine owned Studebakers before I did or since I have.
    My wife's father purchased a new 1949 Champion as his first car (lived in NYC and didn't need a car before that) and later purchased a new 1963 Cruiser.
    Cathy and I each only owned Studebakers when we met. We have been married for 46 years and have stayed active in the Studebaker community through the years.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Lowell, this is my 50 Champion. My parents bought it new in 1949 and it has never left us. I have rebuilt it, but it is as it was off the assembly line. I was born 9 months after they purchased, so we are the same age.

Let's see Bob...you were born 9 months after your parents purchased this car...Hmmm...Drive-in movies were very popular back then...you might be more connected to this car than most!

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• Nelsen Motorsports
    replied
    My grandfather had a 61 Lark 6 4 door in the late sixties which he took cross country from Connecticut to Southbend then to Colorado and California in one trip in 1969 towing a camping trailor. Sorry pics are in CT. Other than that my Mom's maiden name is Erskine. Even comes from the town Erskine in Scotland. Any relation?[?]

Alex Nelsen
    1954 Champion Coupe
    Lizella, GA

Leave a comment:

• raprice
    replied
    I don't have any photos, but when I was a kid (born in '37), my dad had a '39 Commander. What I remember about this car was its quietness and great ride. I wish I had that car today. The only negative was the maroon paint faded. It's my understanding that reds and maroons were hard to keep up.
    Rog

Smithtown,NY

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Lowell, this is my 50 Champion. My parents bought it new in 1949 and it has never left us. I have rebuilt it, but it is as it was off the assembly line. I was born 9 months after they purchased, so we are the same age.

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    Since Craig posted this thread:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=26095

Some of my pictures are on there, but I have some more, of course, I have posted them also, but here they are.

This was my Mother's 53 Champion when I was 12 years old, in 1957.

My Mother traded the 53 Champion on a 58 Silver Hawk.

These were my friends cars and me by the Hawk.

Then my Mother traded the Hawk on a 61 Lark. This when I took it to the drag strip.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• HarryStude
    replied
    My Great-Grand Father from what I was told had owned one but I know nothing else of it. Coincidently his name was Harry Studebaker.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    There have been a few posts that have touched on the subject of Studebakers in one's childhood. Here are at least a couple of threads with photos in it that come to mind:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...earchTerms=dad

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Terms=hawaiian

Though there were two Studebakers in my life while growing up, AFAIK, no photos of them exist at all.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    No Studes in my childhood, but I do recall play-driving my folk's 53 Nash Statesman while it set in the driveway. That would've been about '55 or '56.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    No pictures but my grandad used Studebaker trucks on the farm until they closed the plant. My dad learned to drive in those farm trucks.

Chris Pile
    Editor: The Studebaker Special
    http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X