Did Studebaker make a 1940 delivery Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Studebaker make a 1940 delivery Sedan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940-STUDEBAKER-SEDAN-DELIVERY_W0QQitemZ110411983414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item19b5112 a36&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A317

Naw....

Chris Pile
    Editor: The Studebaker Special
    http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Naw....
      YES!

Hopefully RQ will chime in here and show us a factory photo of one.

If it is indeed 'factory', its RARE!!!

Craig

Comment

Page 265 of Studebaker Cars by James Maloney. "Rare unit for sales was the 2dr Champion Delivery Sedan. Blanked out rear quarter windows and no back seat - totally fitted for delivery."

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by royvaldez

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940-STUDEBAKER-SEDAN-DELIVERY_W0QQitemZ110411983414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item19b5112 a36&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A317
          And then there's that wagon over to the side of it. But it is not in his other sale items list??

Comment

Look at the front on picture, the car in front of it has some rear fender flares, I can't make it out but resembles a sand dune car or Desert explorer can anybody verify?

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Indeed, this was one of Studebakers more novel adaptations of the early Champions. It was done by Edwards but was a legitimate factory offering and is even shown in the Studebaker parts book. They actively marketed it to dealers as a commercial unit at a cost of $736.50 only $41.50 more than the standard 2 door sedan. The partition was another $18. The use of the name sedan delivery may be a misnomer as I always felt that utility sedan was a better fit and indeed that is what they began calling it in 1941. As stated above it was simply a two door sedan F body with a Coupe floor pan and the metal panels blanking out the rear windows. More information can be found on page 11 of the April 1996 Turning Wheels. That particular car now on ebay (serial G71165) has been available for years and is a desert car. I called on it maybe 30 years ago when it was owned by a man named Cripe. It has been on Ebay before and was also on Craigslist. It is one of two known survivors the other is a street rod.

Also offered on the coupe body in this era was a Coupe Delivery, Ambulance Coupe and Sedan Coupe. All novel creations aimed at a very narrow speciality market. The photo above a '41 Coupe Delivery.

Richard Quinn
              editor: Antique Studebaker Review
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

If you had one of these at a Judged show event, would you enter it in the car class or commercial class?

John Clary
                Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You would get points deducted for not having a back seat. And no side glasses.

quote:Originally posted by jclary

If you had one of these at a Judged show event, would you enter it in the car class or commercial class?

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                  SDC member since 1975

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Richard;
                    Are you aware if the top car pictured is a factory publicity photo after a finished fleet order in Wheeling, W. VA, or a dealer picture? Also, is the 8 in the white circle on the side just a car number in the dealer fleet?

Comment

The photo of the '40 was sent in to the factory by the Dulaney Motor Co. of Wheeling, WV for possible use in the Studebaker News dealer paper. As noted above the News editor opted to use another (rear) view of the car for the May 24, 1940 issue. The caption shown above is what I know about the car and its use. Incidentally six other Sedan Deliveries are shown in the same article.

Richard Quinn
                      editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

RQ

Since this topic came up about delivery vehicles how about the 37 Grocer Seems this would be a rare one.

There's a diecast model being offered here pretty soon, are there factory photo's or production numbers?

Here's a link to the vehicle, the site has copy write on the photo itself so i can't post for all to see here.
                        http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_mod...ctCode=PH18370

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Bridgeguard... He says the Conestoga is very rusty and runs. $2500.00

Live your dreams!
                          Live your dreams!

Comment

darn! I'd love that car. The reserve has to be at least $1K as that's what wants for a deposit after the sale. I'd drive to Vegas for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Cool Car. I bid on it just for fun but was immediately outbid.

Comment

Working...
                              X