This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional wheel mystery...

I posted this 1964 picture earlier of my "new" '63 Canadian Hawk with black walls and small hubcaps.

The production order is on the way from the museum and I think it is most likely that the first owner changed out the original big hubcaps (and probably WSW tires) early in the car's life.

However, here's the spare...

Mounted is a Firestone 500 7.75/15 The tire has been on the ground, but looks nearly new...no sidewall cracks. What is strange here, is that the wheel looks like original paint, but no large hubcap has ever been mounted on it (no scratch marks on the outer lip).

Even more strange is that this is a disc brake car, but all 5 wheels are identical to this spare...they do not have the additional inner "lip" that I would recognize as a disc brake wheel. There are no interference problems with these wheels front or back. In the parts book, there is a Canadian ONLY wheel (1548804P) used on ALL '59-'64 cars prior to 64V SN 501,025 or 64S SN 100,928.

Will US non disc brake wheels fit a disc brake car?

The Canadian PN is not the same PN for US '59-62 cars, so in this case, Hamilton wasn't using up old stock.

Why the unique PN?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick, I think the car needs the wheel covers, but blackwalls would surely make it look more "down to business"

steve blake
    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
    http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
    steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Comment

Dick, I think the car needs the wheel covers, but blackwalls would surely make it look more "down to business"

steve blake
      http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
      steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Comment

quote:Will US non disc brake wheels fit a disc brake car?
        I have always heard that you can use disc brake wheels on a non-disc brake car but not vise versa.

I think you should keep the blackwalls and small hub caps just to make it look original and controversial, especially since you have the original photos!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:Will US non disc brake wheels fit a disc brake car?
          I have always heard that you can use disc brake wheels on a non-disc brake car but not vise versa.

I think you should keep the blackwalls and small hub caps just to make it look original and controversial, especially since you have the original photos!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude
            I've heard that too, Leonard...but these wheels (which LOOK like non disc brake wheels) fit just fine. Did Canadians ANTICIPATE the need for extra clearance in '59? Coincidence? Or maybe non disc brake wheels actually fit a disc brake car?

quote:
            The photos I have look like they were taken in '64, so they aren't exactly original. Per an earlier thread, I think it was relatively common to change the hubcaps and tires on new cars...either by the dealer or by the owner. Controversial I can go for [}]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude
              I've heard that too, Leonard...but these wheels (which LOOK like non disc brake wheels) fit just fine. Did Canadians ANTICIPATE the need for extra clearance in '59? Coincidence? Or maybe non disc brake wheels actually fit a disc brake car?

quote:
              The photos I have look like they were taken in '64, so they aren't exactly original. Per an earlier thread, I think it was relatively common to change the hubcaps and tires on new cars...either by the dealer or by the owner. Controversial I can go for [}]

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by arkiejazz

Agree. It's Champaign Gold...sort of a "formal" color. Looks right with white walls and wheel covers. OTOH, it's a 4 speed car. Black walls and dog dish hub caps were the "muscle car" look back then.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by arkiejazz

Agree. It's Champaign Gold...sort of a "formal" color. Looks right with white walls and wheel covers. OTOH, it's a 4 speed car. Black walls and dog dish hub caps were the "muscle car" look back then.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

(US )Disc brake cars must have disc brake wheels. I'd check to see if it matches the others. Then, take one off the car and make sure is does actually fit, and not rubbing. Then- check to see if they say 'ford' or Budd' or something in them. I would not be surprised to find Canada had their own run of wheels done up and these are quite special.

Again, I know little about these Canada cars and changes they did in production, so my guess is just that. Just be sure they actually fit, so you have no problems OK? Because a wheel is something anyone can change -and often does. If they look fine, they probably are.
                    All 5 wheels are identical. I've looked for markings, but can't see any. To me, they look identical to all the 4 1/2" Stude wheels I've seen '59-62. They have the correct holes for the small Stude lug nuts.

I've removed front and back wheels and looked closely at clearances (especially at the front calipers). No problems...not even close.

??

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

(US )Disc brake cars must have disc brake wheels. I'd check to see if it matches the others. Then, take one off the car and make sure is does actually fit, and not rubbing. Then- check to see if they say 'ford' or Budd' or something in them. I would not be surprised to find Canada had their own run of wheels done up and these are quite special.

Again, I know little about these Canada cars and changes they did in production, so my guess is just that. Just be sure they actually fit, so you have no problems OK? Because a wheel is something anyone can change -and often does. If they look fine, they probably are.
                      All 5 wheels are identical. I've looked for markings, but can't see any. To me, they look identical to all the 4 1/2" Stude wheels I've seen '59-62. They have the correct holes for the small Stude lug nuts.

I've removed front and back wheels and looked closely at clearances (especially at the front calipers). No problems...not even close.

??

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I believe that what you have here Dick is the 1558828 '63 Disc Brake compatable "Budd" wheel, it looks just like the non-disc. '58-'62 ones because the wheel center is clearly BUDD and IS the same. It SHOULD have a little more back clearance than the earlier one.

Now the wheel you are expecting to find on a disc brake car is the '64 "Kelsey Hayes" wheel with the ugly double "hump" in the center portion. It was used later for an INCREASED back clearance to the brake crossover lines and calipers. But here's the catch...it is not "REQUIRED" for disc brakes, just a tad better. certainly NOT better looking without wheelcovers when you can see the center!

But how can the wheels all match, that one looks YELLOW not bone or off-white like a truly original one?

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I believe that what you have here Dick is the 1558828 '63 Disc Brake compatable "Budd" wheel, it looks just like the non-disc. '58-'62 ones because the wheel center is clearly BUDD and IS the same. It SHOULD have a little more back clearance than the earlier one.

Now the wheel you are expecting to find on a disc brake car is the '64 "Kelsey Hayes" wheel with the ugly double "hump" in the center portion. It was used later for an INCREASED back clearance to the brake crossover lines and calipers. But here's the catch...it is not "REQUIRED" for disc brakes, just a tad better. certainly NOT better looking without wheelcovers when you can see the center!

But how can the wheels all match, that one looks YELLOW not bone or off-white like a truly original one?

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Now the wheel you are expecting to find on a disc brake car is the '64 "Kelsey Hayes" wheel with the ugly double "hump" in the center portion.

As far as I know, Kelsey Hayes supplied all the wheels for Hamilton assembled Studebakers from their Candadian plant that I think was in Orilla, Ontario at the time.

Craig

Comment

Now the wheel you are expecting to find on a disc brake car is the '64 "Kelsey Hayes" wheel with the ugly double "hump" in the center portion.

As far as I know, Kelsey Hayes supplied all the wheels for Hamilton assembled Studebakers from their Candadian plant that I think was in Orilla, Ontario at the time.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X