Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers Check (help)

Have another prospect

If anyone has time and can look this up I would be greatful.
    Shows as a 63 Avanti R2

Chassis # R3955
    Block # RS2254
    Serial # R02909

is the car for real?

Paul Souza

Paul I had a chance to go under the white 63 R-2 Avanti today and frame and boxes look good some surface rust on the frame and boxes are undercoated of some sorts, the miles read 14192 and the Id number 63R 2891 and I forgot to check the engine number....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chilidogs1

Have another prospect

If anyone has time and can look this up I would be greatful.
      Shows as a 63 Avanti R2

Chassis # R3955
      Block # RS2254
      Serial # R02909

is the car for real?

Paul Souza
      I can't give you exact information, but perhaps some assistance.

By "chassis", I assume that you mean body number.

The serial number should start with RQ, not "R0".

RQ2909 was built in January 1963.

The engine number is correct for a 1963 Avanti R2.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I just tracked it down. R-3955 is the serial number; the body number is RQ-2909.

Avanti serial R-3955 was originally Avanti Turquoise with Turquoise interior. It was equipped with supercharger (engine no. RS-2254), Powershift, tinted glass w/sun band, power steering, twin traction, 3.07 axle ratio, AM radio, front seat belts, silent muffler and Firestone 500 white wall tires.

It's interesting to consider that a factory-equipped Avanti with R2 engine and 3.07 axle like this one would be one of the fastest (top speed) Studebakers ever made, having a top speed of around 150, give or take a little. None of the factory R3s--as produced--had an axle ratio suitable for a top speed of much more than, say 135 or so, and an R2 Lark or Hawk didn't have the streamlining of an Avanti. Therefore, an R2 Avanti with 3.07 would have been pretty spectacular on the top end.

George

george krem
        george krem

Comment

Thanks, George. I made the incorrect assumptions on the numbers/identification given.
          R-3955 was built in April 1963.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thank you George and Gary, thats great to hear, It is Turquoise with like interior, looks like the real McCoy... Will advise

Paul Souza

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R3 challenger

I just tracked it down. R-3955 is the serial number; the body number is RQ-2909.
              george krem
              R-3955 was built in April 1963.

Wow! that is really AMAZING! Consider this; my Avanti is R-4275, engine (R1) R-2876, it has Body RQ3053! That is only 144 bodies higher, but the Serial Number is 320 higher!

This car was built 4/63, mine was built 5/6/63.

We know Studebaker never installed the bodies in sequence to the car serials, but this seems quite extreme to me. Could it be that during that time they were having those problems with Molded Fiberglass Co. bodies so my car's original body was put back into the rework area and it got an earlier reworked one. Or some such mix-up?
              This is quite a late car, as '63 non-transition Avantis' go, but it still does not have the drip-rail moulding. [:0]

This car is Calif. registered as R4275B as body type/model: SED64R, with year model '63, and the frame mounted Serial Number Plate has been dealer stamped with an "A" as: 4275A, so they apparently tried to register it as a '64 with the alpha code "B" per the studebaker service letter, but screwed up on the number plate so they do not match or typo-ed the number on the registration.
              Update: this post talks quite a bit about the A-B thing:
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...chTerms=R4275A

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Wow yea I think that probably what happend Rich they had the well known probs and pulled bodies off sequence for rework them,then reshuffle as they went along, quite interesting, your car and this one probably are old pals, they knew each other!

Paul Souza

Comment

Years ago, I went to an old Studebaker engineer's home in South Bend with Richard Quinn. While interviewing him, I asked why the bodies were not installed in consecutive numerical order. His answer was that they had "Body banks" where completed bodies were stored, and when a certain type was needed, they just grabbed one without regard to its exact number.

It's not uncommon, when looking at lots of production orders, to find bodies that are way out of sequence. 'makes it interesting.

Good luck!

George

george krem
                  george krem

Comment

Thank you for adding that George, it clarifys alot, I can believe thats how they did it since 46 years ago production computers, production robots and high tech assembly lines were many many years away...

Paul Souza

Comment

There has been a change in plans, I was planning on taking my 64 Super hawk to Cedar Rapids, but when Ian got in today from Australia we all figured maybe we should take the white 63 R-2 Avanti # 63R 2891, so look for it there we might even take it to the drags on Wed. night.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I can see the use of the body banks on Larks, but all Avanti bodies were the same, so unless they were pulled for rework, why such differences?

60 Lark convertible
                        61 Champ
                        62 Daytona convertible
                        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2)
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The Avanti bodies were made at Dow Smith Inc who also built the Corvette bodies. They use too have problems with the body joints having pin holes in them, so when the car was painted at the factory in the ovens the heat would cause air bubbles to form under the paint. These joints had to be filled and reworked. Correct me if I am wrong. Brian.
                          Brian Greenall
                          Melbourne, OZ
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X