Update=Serial killer affecting my Studebaker drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update=Serial killer affecting my Studebaker drive

Here in upper South Carolina we are planning to drive to David Walker's restaurant for "Drive Your Studebaker Day." My Wife is going to drive the Land Cruiser, my Daughter drive the '48 business coupe, and I plan to drive the 55 pick up. The Grand Kids were going to come along, but since there is some idiot going around shooting people at random,[:0] we have decided to not bring the Grand Children. I hate it for my Grandson because he is already becoming quiet a car nut at 8 years old. Hope the rest of you have a wonderful time without such nonsense hindering your activities.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Sounds like staying at home is more dangerous than being on the road in a car, John. Yikes. Stay safe down there. [:0]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529956,00.html?mrp

Comment

My Wife, Daughter and I had our Drive to the Walker's Restaurant today and it went well. Each driving a different Studebaker.Had a great turnout. Lots of law enforcement visible and not so visible in the area. Marked and unmarked patrol cars (some of the cool new Dodge chargers). As we were making our way along the scenic highway, I was thinking that it couldn't get much more surreal than seeing three vintage Studebaker's in line driving up a South Carolina highway. Then it happened...it could get more surreal...I have seen dogs as passengers on a motorcycle, but never a Cockatiel!!! Yep, just behind the windshield was a real bird perched on the handle bars having the time of its life. No helmet. All in all, it was a great time...now for some watermelon.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Glad you had a safe trip. Never know what you'll see on the highway, John. On my way to Greenville, PA yesterday, but right on the Ohio state border, I saw a Transtar stake bed coming up a hill at me. I started waving well early and he finally realized why and waved back as we crossed. 0ne mile later, I saw a huge antique tractor show full of Amish folks and buggies he had probably been visiting. There were three more Transtars parked in the muddy grass along the road and a light blue '61 Lark four door..with the correct tail lights next to them! One buggy that I passed had about 8 little kids packed in it and waved frantically as I passed. I think they wanted a top open air ride. Theirs had one horse power and looked pretty tired.

Comment

Dave, I enjoyed your description of your drive. I could picture all kinds of post card quality scenes while reading your post. I recall driving my freightliner through Amish farm country one night with a full moon. It was quiet a scene with all those old two story farm houses, no electric lights, and buggies and wagons parked around the houses and barns. Great memories. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for those one horse power convertibles.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Dave I think you passed the engine/Tractor show that Walt and Michal Barns go to every year, that also sounds like "Robin" their light blue 61 4 door????
            Ed Davies and Bob also usually attend

studeboro
            sigpicstudeboro

Comment

Originally posted by Studeboro

Dave I think you passed the engine/Tractor show that Walt and Michal Barns go to every year, that also sounds like "Robin" their light blue 61 4 door????
              Ed Davies and Bob also usually attend

I thought that looked familiar! It was close to Rock Creek just past the rail road tracks. Must have been them. It was still there when I went past after 6:30. Did your car stay dry up front, all day?

Comment

The Gaffney, SC serial killer was killed by police in Gaston County, NC at 3 AM today. He was attempting to break into a house, fired at police, and they returned fire. They waited for ballistics testing to confirm that they had killed the right man.

Comment

Hooray for the police!!! NT

Neil Thornton
                  Hazlehurst, GA
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '56 Sky Hawk
                  '51 2R16 dump truck
                  Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Now that they have taken care of this guy, we all feel relieved. I have a cousin who lives within 2 miles of the first victim. My niece, who is a teacher, taught the 15 year old girl that was killed. I felt kind of silly carrying a gun to a car meet.[:0] Hopefully I will not have to do it again.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If only the courts worked that quickly. Must be a relief for ya'll. I am going to Matthews soon, so that's great, John.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

The Gaffney, SC serial killer was killed by police in Gaston County, NC at 3 AM today. He was attempting to break into a house, fired at police, and they returned fire. They waited for ballistics testing to confirm that they had killed the right man.
                        From what I saw on the evening news somebody across the street became suspicious when they saw a SUV like the one authorities said the killer had been driving stop in front of a house that was empty. He and two other people that the neighbor had seen at the house earlier entered the house. The police were called. Shots were fired in the house. The officer was wounded in the foot and the suspected killer was killed.
                        The reporter was unsure how the other two people fit into the story, other than they were taken by the police.
                        I am sure this at least somewhat relieves a lot of stress in both Gaffney, South Carolina and in the part of North Carolina just across the state line.
                        Hats off to the fine policeman that risked his life to end this thing.

Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                        X