Stainless Trim Repair and Cedar Rapids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Trim Repair and Cedar Rapids

The more I talk with Dale M. about learning the tricks of stainless trim restoration, the more interested in it I become. It's something I am sure that I would enjoy, and hopefully I might even be good at it. [)]

As if I needed another reason to attend, Dale has agreed to do some tutoring while in Cedar Rapids. I think spending time teaching a kid a few tricks, rather than drooling over nice Studes, says a lot. I'm anxiously looking forward to it. [8D]

Also looking forward to meeting several of you at the meet. I plan to wear my SDC Forum shirt on Thursday. I've been told that I will be driving a near-perfect two tone green '56 Golden Hawk to the show field that day. Everyone be sure to take the time to say hello.

Lark Parker's pal,Dale,is a master of stainless resto. He once took my back lite trim piece, that had been hit with a rock,and made it like new. One cannot tell where the damage was. I gave him the piece, in South Bend, and he kindly brought it to the Pure Stock Muscle car drags finished to perfection. What a guy! Huck

Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

I started making MB his own hammer(yet to be named):

But something has gone awry -- (MB's hammer is on the left) I'll probably figure it out:

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Does Dale need some pieces to work on at the show? wheel well moldings, rear fender moldings, ect i can bring almost any thing, is he still collecting item to work on or has he just cut back?..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Does Dale need some pieces to work on at the show? wheel well moldings, rear fender moldings, ect i can bring almost any thing, is he still collecting item to work on or has he just cut back?..Bob

Castro Valley, CA
          I have a lot of stuff. I will try to bring a few pieces that have the variety of damage that I need for example instruction. If Matt gets on a roll and runs out he will start prowling the swap dumpsters for the good stuff.
          I' m not planning on setting up a Baldour Buffer in the hotel Continental breakfast area, so we will mostly do some straightening work and and some discrete sanding if we can find a spot.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
          sigpic

Comment

I'd be interested in learning a little about this too! Are you taking any further enrollments?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Sure, why not.
              There will be franchise opportunities available
              at the end of the demonstrations, but no free dinner.

LP
              sigpic

Comment

Cool. Will you be smoking that pipe you're holding in your sig. picture?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Scratch my previous answer, Bob. I just reconsidered. If you have any 56,57,58 Hawk front fender trims (not wheel well moldings) with damage near the door we will struggle with those and they won't be any worse when we are done. And possibly a bit better. Just one or two is all we might do.

For BAMS: We will be working far to hard to be taking any smoke breaks.

LP
                  sigpic

Comment

That snappy Rio Green suit, with the Autumn Haze tie - that's Lark's attire for the lecture part of his course. He dons a stylish lab coat with prominent S-P patches on the back and shoulders (and a pair of safety goggles, of course) for the shop portion of his mentoring.

It's a treat to watch him salvage a piece of what would normally be scrap stainless and smith it into a Speedster hood ornament, a Packard Hawk WW moulding or a gorgeous 51 Starlight coupe gravel guard! Makes no matter what the piece was to start with.[:0][^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

That snappy Rio Green suit, with the Autumn Haze tie - that's Lark's attire for the lecture part of his course. He dons a stylish lab coat with prominent S-P patches on the back and shoulders (and a pair of safety goggles, of course).

It's a treat to watch him salvage a piece of what would normally be scrap stainless and smith it into a Speedster hood ornament, a Packard Hawk WW moulding or a gorgeous 51 Starlight coupe gravel guard! Makes no matter what the piece was to start with.[:0][^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

At last! A man that understands the value of attitude![^]
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh boy, I get my own Legendary Hammer? []

Thanks, Dale.

As I said in my initial post, Joe Bacon said I have the honor of driving his '56J onto the show field. While Nancy isn't looking, I'll put a dent in some of the trim, then you can show me how to repair it.

Joe's a pretty laid back fella. I don't think he'll mind.

Comment

Sing-a-long:

If Matt had a hammer,
                          He'd hammer in the morning.
                          He'd hammer in the evening.
                          He'd hammer.....

well, we all know his family history with hammering.......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

This will be fun to watch. I don't have any of the proper tools, just patience with the tedious stuff. I'm a hack at it, but it's hard to explain how satisfying it is to have a piece of given up on trim's dents repaired, then sanded & buffed to near perfection.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

This will be fun to watch.
                              Just imagine the fun from my perspective. [8D]

Comment

Working...
                              X