How Many Cubic Inches in a Liter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Cubic Inches in a Liter?

So the 3.8 liter V6 in my Chrysler van is how many cubic inches?

3.8 litres is 231.89 cu-in according to my unit converter utility.

1 liter is 61.02 cubic inches.

HTH

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop
    sigpic
    Jeff in ND

Comment

Approximately 61 per liter.

232 cu in.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

1 in = 2.54cm
        1 in sq = 6.45 cm sq
        1 in cubed = 16.39 cm cubed

1 litre = 1000 cm cubed

1000/16.39 = 61.01 in cubed
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

Now, Herb, you gotta decide on a figure between 61.00 and 61.02. Decisions, decisions.......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

PS -- have you ever wondered how they get cubic inches into a round cylinder? Keeps me awake at night.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

PS -- have you ever wondered how they get cubic inches into a round cylinder? Keeps me awake at night.
              Ah yes, the proverbial square peg in a round hole!

Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

Comment

Here's an easy way to remember:

A "5 liter" Mustang is equivalent to the old "302" (cubic inches).

Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
                1961 Lark Crusier
                1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

So our T&Cs have the same size engine as the '51-'54 Studebakers. So much for progress. Of course the T&Cs do have a HP or 2 more. [)]

John

Comment

quote:
                    That's because we are measuring volume or displaced volume. Cubic inches use cubes, which is a pretty standard unit of measure. It also allows us to take a cube or cubes and stack them on top of each other within a given space. It's pretty hard to stack triangles or spheres into a space as there could be spots other shapes may not be able to properly fill. In the case of round holes, we can divide the cube so it can measure the round corners. Of course when you start getting into volume that demands this much accuracy, you're moving from simple algebraic equations into Calculus equations.

Now I've heard this before, a 302 is 5.0 Liters, but is it a true and exacting 5.0 Liters??

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010520-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:302 is 5.0 Liters, but is it a true and exacting 5.0 Liters??
                      If it's a true and exacting 302 ci, it's 4.94889333 L or 1.3212 gallons.[)]

Rockne 190 cid is actually 189.7.
                      Commander 226 is actually 226.2.
                      President 250 is actually 250.4.
                      Champion 170 is actually 169.6 (until Cathcart gets hold of it).[)]
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

Now I've heard this before, a 302 is 5.0 Liters, but is it a true and exacting 5.0 Liters??
                        Actually 305 cu. in. is 5.0 liters. Thus 302 Chevys and Fords could have a .030 over bore and still meet TransAm circuit 5 liter rules.

Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

Comment

If you really want to have fun with displacement, quarts is the way to go. Not Studebaker - what American engine displaced one quart per cylinder? It was a V8, with each quart = 57.75 cubic inches = the Lincoln 462 of 1966 to 1968.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                          Packrat junk collector
                          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dpson

Here's an easy way to remember:

A "5 liter" Mustang is equivalent to the old "302" (cubic inches).

I always used the 427 SOHC Ford engine as a reminder, it was a 7 Liter.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

Reminds me of a true story about a southern boy with an engineering degree named George. Most of us recent graduates (1979) were driving old cars. Mine was a 73 2 Dr Gran Torino with a 351 cleveland (wish I still had it). After George's 1st pay check he went out and bought a brand new 1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. He had the hood scope treatment with the firebird decal (Smokey & the Bandit style) and an engine decal that said 6.6 liters. Which is the Olds powered 403 cubic inch special 10th anniversary addition Firebird, 500 HP). All of us tight wade engineers ogled and lusted after this car. Once of us said something to the effect of WOW a 6.6 Liter engine... at which point George said "Uh by the way, what be them liters anyhow?" The rest of us never laughed so hard in our lives.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                              sigpic
                              John
                              63R-2386
                              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
                              X