Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palma rant; How long has this been going on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palma rant; How long has this been going on?

Car Life magazine (thanks to Buzz Beckman).

Apparently they wrote some rather unfavorable things about the braking capabilities of the GT Hawk they tested and, what he felt, were the less than accurate acceleration times for the car. And of course everyone knows that hardtops should be photographed with their windows down and with the accessory full disc wheel covers. I am certain after receiving this letter that the editors of Car Life
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Very good sleuthing Richard! Wow all the way from July 1962! Amazing like a time warp without a Delorean!

Now the real truth comes out, we've got a WILD TIGER in our Club/Forum! [:0] definitely NOT to be messed with! [:0]

This could be Car Life subscription cancellation material! [}]

I remember that story, they were definitely NOT friendly toward those normally excellent Hawk finned drum Brakes! [xx(]
    This car must have had a malfunctioning Hydrovac power booster or some such isolated problem.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There is another rant by Bob Palma on the Special Interest Auto magazine, October 1998, and there was another forum member on the same magazine...Johnnywiffer

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

i don't know about the hawks but the 57 i owned and my parents owned the brakes were pretty poor.any time we went up to the ozarks we would have stop every now and then to let them cool down. the 57 sedan my parents owned was a 4-door with 259 and auto. trans. my 57 was a 2-door with 259/stick. i did not have near the problem with my brakes fading as my parents 57 did. the 58 scotman wagon never had any brake issues. i did put metalic brake shoes on a couple of my cars but they worked best when heated up. go figure?

Comment

Very amusing, youse guys. ('Getting the vocabulary ramped up for release of the John Dillinger movie Wednesday, July 1.)

The letter to Car Life was written just a few days after my 16th birthday. I was probably a little testy in that Dad had me take my initial Illinois Driver License on-the-road test in our new, 1962 Mercury Monterey 4-door, rather than the family's second car, a 1957 Studebaker President 2-door, which I greatly preferred. The President was the faster of the two.

Even so, the examiner had cautioned at the end of the road test, "Be careful, son; speed will be a problem for you." Seriously, that's what he said. I should have had Ted Harbit for Drivers Ed, but we didn't live in Indiana at the time. Only six months later I would first meet Ted, our having moved to Indiana in the interim.[^] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

George Krem, R3 Challenger here, will have to post details about the supercharged 1960 Hawk. (Actually, just about every Studebaker V-8 George has ever owned or driven, has wound up being supercharged at one time or another.[:0][}]) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I can see Bob has never veered "off course" all these years. Keep it up Bob!!!!

Claude Chmielewski
              Studeski
              http://www.studeski.com
              Fillmore, Wisconsin
              47 M-16 Truck
              62 GT Hawk
              63 Lark
              64 Commander Wagonaire
              50 Champion Regal (parts car)
              63 GT Hawk R2
              [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
              sigpic
              Claude Chmielewski
              Studeski
              http://www.studeski.com
              Fillmore, Wisconsin
              47 M-16 Truck
              53 2R5
              60 Lark VIII Convertible
              60 5E7 Champ pickup
              62 GT Hawk 4 speed
              63 Lark
              63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
              64 Commander Wagonaire
              64 Daytona Convertible
              50 Champion Regal (parts car)
              36 Dictator
              36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Cari Palma is a class act.
                She married Bob Palma.
                Sometimes the unexplainable just happens.........

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
                sigpic
                Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Now Bob...as a 16 year old...tell us about the "SEVERAL PANIC STOPS AT OVER 80MPH"your cousin had to make! What the heck was he doing? After all these years, are you going to tell us it was just youthful exuberance, or was your cousin really that prone to such situations.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Several of my high school magazine reading friends were impressed when Ford bragged about the GT40 0-100-0 times, and the Cobra's 0-100-0 times.
                    We had never heard of that term, so local research was required.
                    We used to taunt anyone that got a new ride to 'allow' us to ride and stopwatch such an event.
                    Got a lot of neat rides that way.
                    Lived through 'em, too
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jclary

Now Bob...as a 16 year old...tell us about the "SEVERAL PANIC STOPS AT OVER 80MPH"your cousin had to make! What the heck was he doing? After all these years, are you going to tell us it was just youthful exuberance, or was your cousin really that prone to such situations.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Nash used in the movie John Dillenger lives in Davenport, Iowa.

Richard

Comment

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
                          Au contraire on making Mr. Blackmer's job more difficult, Dick!

The editors must have seen the error of their ways, because the R2 1963 Daytona Wagonaire (See Page 8; July 2009 Turning Wheels) road-tested in the June 1963 Car Life received a kind and overall positive, complimentary road test.

Sometimes, you just have to cuff 'em around a bit and knock some editorial sense into 'em....even if you are only 16 years old. [}] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Interesting... so according to what JohnnyWiffer, the Ford replacement transmission that came out of my '64 wagon, isn't out of place[?] Interesting... Anyone need an automatic tranny for a '63-64 Lark? I've got two extras.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hmmm...still wondering about all those panic stops...
                              quote:Originally posted by jclary

John Clary
                              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                              SDC member since 1975
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X