Wierd '53 Starlight Dome Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd '53 Starlight Dome Light

One of the cars I looked at to buy today was an early '53 Champion Regal Starlight...tri-star car. It looked quite original. Original interior, infact, in fairly good shape.

The headliner looked original. The dome light was not in the usual place over the driver's door. It was centered over the rear window...

Has anyone else ever seen a '53 with a dome light like this?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Nope, but the line design on it kinda matches the design of the visor hardware [?]

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

It certainly looks a lot older than 1953, more like 1930's! [:0]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Has anyone else ever seen a '53 with a dome light like this?
        Yes: my pop's Champion Regal Starlight - also a tri-star car I'm pretty sure was a California build. Last seen in the San Fernando Valley in summer, 1966.

Had forgotten all about it 'til this picture freaked me out: the lens always reminded me of the Martians from the Gene Barry "War of the Worlds." [xx(]

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
        In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
        If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Not sure I'd call it weird, Dick. It looks pretty cool in there. Kind of Art Deco. I know you probably meant different, but it is a really nice touch. Wonder if it's a Vernon only application? Was there only one light in the cabin, not another oddly placed one up front? Looks large enough to be a good light, though. [^]

Comment

It definitely looks like they dipped into the pre war parts box for that one. Cool design. Just not what you would expect in this era car.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Not sure I'd call it weird, Dick. It looks pretty cool in there. Kind of Art Deco. I know you probably meant different, but it is a really nice touch. Wonder if it's a Vernon only application? Was there only one light in the cabin, not another oddly placed one up front? Looks large enough to be a good light, though. [^]
              Different is probably a better word. No mention of two types in my original parts catalog.

I assumed there was the additional light under the dash like other C/K's I've seen, but I didn't look.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
              X