Lost my helper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my helper...

Well, Matthew just left today after spending over a week with me. We had record heat; eight days of 100 degrees or higher. I wish I had enough work to keep him on as an employee as he was a real sport model working in the heat. He got a couple things done on his car and helped me out dismembering a car that has been in the way and waiting for the ax for some time. I hope he wasn't too bored working with a grumpy 'ol fart and maybe I passed along at least a little bit of knowledge. It was a real pleasure to have him as a guest and my 'ol lady (and even the hounds) already miss his company. I urge anyone who can to 'host' a young persom with such enthusiasm as it is a great way to promote our cars and keep the torch lit.
    Matthew had a small 'hiccup' with his car on the four hour ride home, but I will let him tell you about it when he gets some rest and heads to the forum.
    Matthew, you are welcome back any time!

StudebakerGeorge

Thank YOU George for having me. You and Ann are excellent hosts, and I enjoyed every minute of it. (Well, except for that one meal that you talked me into... [xx(]).

On the way home, I stopped to gas up the car. When I tried to start it back up, the thing was so hot that it didn't fire right up, and flooded out. I floored the pedal trying to start it, and suddenly I see smoke pouring out from under the hood! I got the hood open, and saw that my air cleaner was on fire. (Flames high enough to light the hood insulator...[:0]) Close by was a bucket full of water to use for washing your windshield, so I poured that on the engine and got the fire out. Then I burnt my fingers trying to get the air cleaner off. Apparently when something is on fire, it's hot. [)] It got hot enough to warp the air cleaner base, but the carb seems to be okay.

No real damage was done. Thankfully, I got the fire out before it lit up any fuel. I let the car sit for a few minutes, hit the key, and made it the rest of the way home without any excitement.

Comment

Close call, Matt!

Good opportunity here to remind folks, it's a good idea to carry a fire extinguisher in your vehicle; it's absolutely required in all DOT regulated vehicles.

If you see smoke coming from under the hood, DON!T open the hood without extinguisher in hand. An open hood is like an open flue in a furnace.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

"...I urge anyone who can to 'host' a young persom with such enthusiasm as it is a great way to promote our cars and keep the torch lit..."

But George... there is only one Matthew!!! [}]

Seriously your advice is spot-on. Its a win-win situation. The trick is to not let the kid know that you got more enjoyment out of the time spent than they did!

Pat Casey
        55 Commander
        58 Transtar
        62 GT Hawk
        66 Cruiser
        SDC Member since 1988

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HookedonStudies

"...I urge anyone who can to 'host' a young persom with such enthusiasm as it is a great way to promote our cars and keep the torch lit..."

But George... there is only one Matthew!!! [}]
          Well, up here in the NW there is a young fellow named Dylan (Silverhawk) who is as keen as Matthew [:0][8D][^] and is younger so he should have greater potential!

Can't let you boys in the SE have all the fun. [][)]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island Chapter
          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

So George, how much did Matthew pay for a week of Studebaker Summer Camp?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Matthew you were lucky to get that fire out when and where you were!
              I keep one in each Stude (usually on the backseat or rear floor, with a hand towel over it) 'cause I remember a fire fighter telling me never to stow them in the trunk. His reasoning being you couldn't find it in a hurry back there and if your gas tank was involved, you couldn't GET there.
              I had an old VW bug conk out of me for no apparent reason, every now and then many years ago. If I pulled over and waited a minute, she'd start and I'd be on my way. Now, I realize it was probably crud in the tank... This was in upstate NY and one winter night I had the bring idea to swap the fuel pump and began the project late in the afternoon. Parts store had closed and I was having to reuse those crimp type clamps that were on my car. Ugh! Don't ever try to reuse something that's not meant to be reused. The next morning I had to drive about 25 miles to a recording studio to do some commercials when about 10 miles into the drive, the idiot lights on the dash lighted up and I saw smoke coming from the engine. As Brad said above, opening the lid was like throwing grease on a hot frying pan and the only thing that saved my bacon was the fact it'd snowed about 6" the night before and I had a ready supply on the side of the road.
              Wife pulled me home with a rope tied to bumpers and I replaced wires and a few hoses.

Get a good ABC rated extinguisher for your beast with enough 'umpfh' to git 'er done!

Comment

LOL...Tom, I was actually going to put in a little PS about that...just for YOU! "Studebaker summer camp" doesn't cost anything..but you have to be able to put up with ME and some very spoiled dogs..and some very strange (but aren't ALL Studebaker people strange?) characters...
                And, of course, ya have to do a little work..&lt;G&gt;
                Forget the parts; they will be saved due to the total insanity of all of us. It's the knowledge that needs to be passed on...
                BTW..that meal was a Philly cheese sandwich..seems that they don't have such things in JawJuh..I recon it kind of 'confuses' the JawJuh digestive systems...&lt;G&gt;

StudebakerGeorge

Comment

I haver a young neighbor kid that has been a real helper.
                  He's eager, enthusiastic, and motivated.
                  He's gangly, uncoordinated, scatterbrained...and just a kid.
                  He follows instructions great (if you give them one at a time, and only one at a time).
                  He's been helping me in the shop lately.
                  I started some real future trouble recently.
                  I had him take my old set of golf clubs out and wash the clubs and clean the bag (wary of spiders in there)...
                  He doesn't know anything about golf. Nada...Zip.
                  After he got done cleaning them, I told him to take them home.
                  They belong to you now Josh...
                  The look on his ace was great.
                  (I kept all the golf balls to myself[}])...
                  Jeff[8D]
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Matthew, I belive the next semester of Stude School is at Deep-n-Hock Acres... where could that be?!?

My right hand man is a young neighbor who always loved my race cars; now I'm learnin' him about Studes- and other makes too. His biggest excitement recently was learning how to use the hub puller, and got all 4 drums off the Provincial! It's always cool to see the light bulb go on over a young'un when he "gets" someting new[^] Eventually I'll post a picture; his name is Elvis (yep, really his given name[:I]).

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

(I kept all the golf balls to myself[}])...

Originally posted by Studedude
                      Now, that's just mean!

Kid's probably left handed, too.

Comment

I have 2 grandsons that like Studebaker's, Clayton is the youngest and a full member of SDC and has been since he was 6 now is 14, he loves all of them and loves the different meets has been to 6 nationals already and will be in Iowa, then there is Trent he is 21 and a really good hand at removing what ever needs to be removed either by wrench or torch, I think he likes the torch better. he has a 62 GT convert custom in the shop and trying to get a few things done on it now and then, the past 3 days he has remover all the fender and front section from our 53 champion, also the rear window, told him to give it a try and save the gasket so don't cut the edge, he did and it now sits on the shop floor as all one unit, I wanted to save the gasket so we could put it back in to keep it dry until we sell it, he will be installing all new fenders, trunk and putting the front section together so it will look like a good car. good young workers are hard to come by and they need to like that kind of work....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Well, up here in the NW there is a young fellow named Dylan (Silverhawk) who is as keen as Matthew [:0][8D][^] and is younger so he should have greater potential!

Can't let you boys in the SE have all the fun. [][)]

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island Chapter
                          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark, I'm sure everyone will be hearing more great things about Dylan in the near future for sure.[^]
                          He was like a sponge soaking up all the Studebaker knowledge from everyone at the Wenatchee Zone Meet!

There is also plenty of room for Mathew visit the NW on a Stude Mobil Mentor Tour.

James

The Bell Collection
                          Bellingham, WA.
                          Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                          Bellingham, WA.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudebakerGeorge

BTW..that meal was a Philly cheese sandwich..seems that they don't have such things in JawJuh..I recon it kind of 'confuses' the JawJuh digestive systems...&lt;G&gt;
                            He didn't like a Philly Cheesesteak??? That's like the 7th Wonder of the (New) World! I guess he wouldn't like a Coney Island hot dog smothered in chili or an Italian sausage with all the peppers & onions...Mmmmmm, might have to make a midnight snack...

I bet he eats those nasty, soggy boiled peanuts and those runny grits. I'm still trying to find someone south of the Manson/Nixon line who actually doesn't look at 'Crispy Hashbrowns' as an oxymoron .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudebakerGeorge

He didn't like a Philly Cheesesteak??? That's like the 7th Wonder of the (New) World! I guess he wouldn't like a Coney Island hot dog smothered in chili or an Italian sausage with all the peppers & onions...Mmmmmm, might have to make a midnight snack...

I bet he eats those nasty, soggy boiled peanuts and those runny grits. I'm still trying to find someone south of the Manson/Nixon line who actually doesn't look at 'Crispy Hashbrowns' as an oxymoron .

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X