body spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body spacers

I need to know the size of the spacers that go between the frame and the body for my 51 starlight coupe project, HELP, HELP, HELP

If you did not save, measure and mark the ones you removed, this may be a difficult task because the tire casing pieces and metal shims are custom fitted to make the body fit the frame individually on each car.

They are a "use as required" item.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I took a truck mud flap and cut it in squares punched a 1/2 inch hole in the middle. And a piece of 3/16 belting and done the same. The rest of the mud flap is in front of my drill press. Nothing wasted.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
      SDC Member 1985

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

If you did not save, measure and mark the ones you removed, this may be a difficult task because the tire casing pieces and metal shims are custom fitted to make the body fit the frame individually on each car.

They are a "use as required" item.

StudeRich
        I bought some muffler straps to cut but I did not realize that each car was spaced to order. I was hoping that there was a specific height.

Comment

Think of them more as shims...

The tolerance on modern cars has vastly improved -so they serve more as a spacer/insolator nowadays.

But the frames and bodies of old cars were hand fitted together -some went together easily and some did not. Some required more shimming here while others needed more there.

I bagged and tagged all the shims/spacers that came off my '54 Commander. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason or particular pattern to their use.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

I tagged the rubber & metal shims & numbered a corresponding sketch. My plan was to use the old steel spacers and cut new rubber ones from a mudflap (which I did). When I got to re-mounting the body; mice ate some of the tags and half of the drawing... I then went on to plan B and a lot of trial and error.

duane miller

Comment

Working...
            X