Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Misinformation

Pulled this out of an item on ebay:

American Motors Corporation introduced the "trim, spirited" Studebaker Lark Convertible in 1960. In that year it was touted as being the only convertible available in the "convenience-size" car field. (Do I read this as "green...ala 1960....but I digress). It offered a powered top and a choice between the six cylinder or a "more powerful V8,"....so much for the green concept. You also had a choice between conventional, overdrive or automatic transmission.

So the next time you're at a car show and some guy comes up to and explains that Studebakers were built by AMC you'll know where it came from...

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
    1961 Lark Crusier
    1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

The question is: where the heck did this guy get this garbage? [xx(]

Self appointed Auto Aficionado maybe?

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

A few years ago at a car show the folks in charge placed my Studebaker in the Nash/AMC class. I told them that Studebaker was its own entity and had no relationship to the cars in the class assigned. The party in charge said, "They are all the same thing."

A friend had his immaculate 1962 Rambler Classic entered in the category. It had won several national awards. I figured his pristine car would win, but I also knew that if his car lost to a Studebaker while he was entered n the Nash/AMC class, I would never hear the end of it. His car received a first place and my car received a trophy for second place and was I ever glad!

It was amazing that those dedicated car buffs running the show didn't know better.

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Last year a friend and I took our Hudsons (his '49 Commodore 8 and my '50 Commodore 8) to a local show. We went up to register and there was only the big 3 categories available (Ford, Mopar, Chev. Buick, Olds, Pontiac) for the main judging. We gave them a hard time, somewhat for fun since this is not unusual for me to have this happen. However, there were also 2 AMXs and a Javeline there and they were not happy about the "no independents" available (sorry there were no Studes at the meet, so I am guilty for not taking '64 Hawk).

Anyway I got lots of attention from many of the folks stopping by and many asked how they could vote for my car for people's choice award. I told them they couldn't but maybe they could write it in.

The trophy time came around and they went through all the awards. I was more than surprised when my car won the best engine compartment. I had really made it look nice but no chrome, just stock Hudson. I think actually they felt guilty that I got a lot of votes but they had no trophy they could give me. As a side note there were no Oldsmobiles, and only one Buick GS. So there were more Hudsons at the show than Buick and Oldsmobiles combined. My buddy and I got a real chuckle out of that, and I made a point of telling the organizers on my way out!

It was fun notheless to win something with all the big buck cars sitting around me!

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Dan, it's incredible how narrow minded some people are. I get the impression that the organizers of the meet were not old car people.
          Anyone with half a brain would recognize that there are cars out there not built by the "big" three.
          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I have run several car shows locally and what I did was not have it by make but by decade 20s 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. I also has specials, oldest, etc. That way everyone is on an equal playing field just like when they were sold. I get tired of the Mustang award, Camaro award, Bowtie award........ let'm compete straight up!

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
            X