Skelly's Follies....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skelly's Follies....

Ran over to Pat's this morning to help him with a couple of little things on his GT Hawk..
    Had to pull the radiator and shroud to swap in a nice big ol' 6 blade fan...
    While the front stuff was off we cleaned and serviced the fuel bowl under his fuel pump..No sweat..
    And, being the good Stude guys we are, we serviced the oil pressure valve....
    That took over an hour
    1 minute to remove he plug and spring...
    70 minutes to work the piston out of the bore.
    It wasn't frozen.
    It would move back and forth a bit, but would not come out all the way.
    When we did get it out, I serviced the bore with a new 1/2" drill to clean it (just with my fingers)..
    Cleaned up everything, and re-lubed it and put it back in...
    Smooth like [u]buttuh</u>![]
    Put it all back together and went test driving...
    Ahhhh... 100 degree's out, and Pat cruisin' with the A/C blasting
    Studelife can be good!
    Jeff[8D]
    (I'd post pic's, but I left my camera in Pat's shop[V])

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
    And, being the good Stude guys we are, we serviced the oil pressure valve....
    That took over an hour
    1 minute to remove he plug and spring...
    70 minutes to work the piston out of the bore.
    It wasn't frozen.
    It would move back and forth a bit, but would not come out all the way.
    When we did get it out, I serviced the bore with a new 1/2" drill to clean it (just with my fingers)..
    Cleaned up everything, and re-lubed it and put it back in...
    Smooth like [u]buttuh</u>![]
    Jeff: Did you use carb cleaner/solvent to dissolve the sludge "ring" that was keeping the oil pressure relief valve plunger in it's bore? That always seems to work well. (Of course, one needs to change the oil right away if you dump most of a can of carb cleaner in the relief valve bore in the course of freeing up the plunger.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sprayed some cleaner in there...yes.
      But not a lot.
      I think that Pat's 'sludge ring' was bigger than most[:0][|)]
      In any event, we "Gotter Done"[]...
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
      Jeff: Did you use carb cleaner/solvent to dissolve the sludge "ring" that was keeping the oil pressure relief valve plunger in it's bore? That always seems to work well. (Of course, one needs to change the oil right away if you dump most of a can of carb cleaner in the relief valve bore in the course of freeing up the plunger.) BP

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
        In any event, we "Gotter Done"[]...
        Jeff[8D][/b][/navy]
        [
        'Without Larry the Cable Guy to supervise?[:0] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I usually use a piece of wire bent nearly 180 degrees. Slide it in the hole in the plunger and pull the plunger out.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Tried that eleventeen times.
            The piston would move, but then hang, and the wire would come out.
            Tried a pic, and a magnet, and spray stuff...
            Eventually it was a combo of the spray and working the pison past the grunge spot..
            I sure with that hole in the piston was threaded
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I usually use a piece of wire bent nearly 180 degrees. Slide it in the hole in the plunger and pull the plunger out.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X