64 Daytona Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Daytona Convertible

Well, we finally secured the '64 Daytona convertible and brought it back to Illinois.

Can anyone give me the rundown on how it was born and about where it falls in production? We will be getting the production order, but any info in the meantime would be appreciated.

Here she is.

EDIT: Ooops, I was so excited, I forgot to add the SN 64V7512

Thanks

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

If you'll post the Serial Number, Jim, anyone with a July 1986 Turning Wheels (which includes me) will be able to tell you quite a bit about the car.

Can you tell us a little more about it? How did you come to buy it? Etc? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I must have posted my edit as you posted. This is the car my son's fiance's father was GIVEN. It took me almost a year to convince him to take it on. He'll do a great job with it. The teardown and cleanup begins tomorrow and he's taking a week off to get a running start on it. Most excited I've ever seen him, but I told him it was MY best father's day yet.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
      Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

OK: 64V7512

Originally shipped to Florida. Built September 20, 1963, the fifth of seven convertibles built that day.

Body number should be 226, engine number PJ319.

Originally Black, Red Interior, White convertible top.

Optioned as follows: Standard-Duty, Column-Shift Flightomatic, 289 cubic inch engine, 4 barrel carburetor, power steering, power [drum] brakes, non-reclining individually-adjustable front seats, whitewall tires, tinted windshield, undercoating, front bumper guards, wheel discs, front seat belts.

Certainly a nicely-equipped convertible, Jim. Pretty color combination, too.

Probably the one oddity is not having Option 33, Dual Exhausts, to go with the 289/4bbl engine. (Ironically, my own 1964 Daytona hardtop was ordered the same way: 289 with 4-barrel and single exhaust. Why do people do such silly things?)

Enjoy! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Where is it now, Jim? Where will he be working on it? It certainly is a worthy project. When completed, it would probably be midway in 1964 convertible desirability due to the nice color combo and 289 engine (i.e, not a Horizon Green 259 with straight three-speed or some such...). BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The car is southeast of me in a small town on the river, Elizabethtown, IL. Dempsey has done several nice cars, including his current 58 Chevy big block and his daughter's GT350 clone. Both cars are very clean and complete. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with this little gem.

Jim

Jim

Comment

Allow me to drool []. Some day I'll have one...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Great find! Will be alot of work, but well worth it when complete. I am looking forward to watching the progress on the forum.

Comment

[:0][}] OMIGOSH, Jim; I just realized how rare your 1964 convertible really is. We'll see if other sleuths on the forum can figure it out. You don't need a July 1986 Turning Wheels for reference; everything you need to answer the question is in the car's list of options posted earlier.

There were 417 1964 Daytona Convertibles built in South Bend (or maybe 416; see Page 10, April 2006 Turning Wheels). I don't have production records for the additional 286 1964 Daytona convertibles built at Hamilton or I would include them.

Of the 417 convertibles built in South Bend, Jim's 64V7512 is one of only 16 built without a very common option; one we normally take for granted. But Jim's convertible, here, and only 15 others, were built without it.

What very common option is missing from Jim's convertible? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

A Radio?? I don't see an antenna in those pics, either!!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

A Radio?? I don't see an antenna in those pics, either!!

Craig
                      Nope, Craig.

There were probably over 100 1964 convertibles built without radios; it's a surprisingly-high number.

And you are right; Jim's is among them.

But that's not the answer.[}] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

[brWhat very common option is missing from Jim's convertible? BP
                        The rear bumper guards.

Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

a heater?

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Comment

The lack of a heater would understandable if it were going to south Florida. A lot of cars came to Naples that way before A/C was a common option. Do we have a dealer name and location yet? This would be a great restoration for the forum to follow via photos, etc.

Comment

It's obvious in the pic. No top!!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
                              X