Ute Ebay Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ute Ebay Ad

The Ebay ad is a great read all by itself...

http://tinyurl.com/l4cwjz
    or....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...3A1|240%3A1318
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

The best eBay ad I've seen, but this is a bad market to get top $. Dick must know what he's doing. I hope he gets his price.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Gee, Dick - I thought you'd enjoy this very special Studebaker for a few years (and bask in the notoriety) before selling it.

Or are you striking while the iron is hot?

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I agree that that is a great Ebay ad.

It sure covers the history of this unique vehicle as well as several shots of the car I've not seen before.

I'll bet it's hard to sell something that has had this much time, money and emotion contributed to the build.

However, being a selfish SOB [}], I'm hoping it sells so I can watch more great builds from Dick on this forum. [8D]

Bob

, ,

Comment

That is a super ad! This should get the interest of the guys with the real money. It is unfortunate that it will probably disappear into some collection and hardly see the light of day.
          It wouldn't do for someone like me to have it because I would drive it and then someone would have to do the work all over again.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1

The best eBay ad I've seen, but this is a bad market to get top $.
            I recently spoke to a big time-big name collector car auction owner.
            He said there is still big money out there [u]for top cars</u>.

The lower end of the market is thinner than last year...in other words, they're selling fewer "average" cars.
            But prices have held fairly firm...just a 10-20% drop (especially on cars that were overpriced to begin with..MOPARS, some Ferraris, etc), but no fire sales.

This ought to be fun to watch.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1
              Dick must know what he's doing.
              As usual, I don't have a clue what I'm doing... but that has never stopped me before [^].

I'm sure the bad economy is impacting the collector car market, but I don't know by how much and in which segments. We'll see.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Or are you striking while the iron is hot?

That's part of it. The GNRS is still in most car guys' memory banks. The HRD feature is current as is the TW article and the Hot Rod TV segment.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

I'll bet it's hard to sell something that has had this much time, money and emotion contributed to the build.

Not that tough. I did this car with an understanding (with myself ) that I would sell it at some point. I wouldn't be able to rationalize the big expense over the short period of time if I had not done that.

Also, having sold quite a few very nice cars ('54 Starliner hot rod, '63 GT Hawk 4 speed, '65 Impala, '62 14,000 mile Lark, etc.) I'm probably more removed from the emotional attachment than most here.

Besides, I've had far more than my share of fun and adventure with this car. Beyond my wildest dreams.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

It wouldn't do for someone like me to have it because I would drive it and then someone would have to do the work all over again.

That's what would happen with me too. It drives so sweet and sounds so good it is hard to resist. []

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I figure you want to have the auction before that big Nick Alexander Woodie Auction August 13, when a whole bunch of large collector car money might get sucked out of the market![:0][8D]

Very nice ad; informative and "something for everyone." Every time I look at the car, I discover something new. In reading the ad, it dawned on me; the car no longer has chrome headlamp doors, and it does have tinted glass! BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                        In reading the ad, it dawned on me; the car no longer has chrome headlamp doors
                        Lee had the stock chrome headlight doors on the car when he did it, but it is one of the "departures" from the original I chose to make.

I think the chrome was an afterthought and a mistake on Studebaker's part. It broke up the (beautiful) line of the front fender. It added to the cost of the car and (IMHO) hurt the looks.

One of the great things about a custom/modified. You can correct Studebaker's MISTAKES .

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Dick on the headlight rims. That is exactly why I chose the deluxe painted head light rims for my '51 land cruiser. The ones with the stainless steel ring around the park lights. If you are going to have a big long car...might as well make it look very long. I think that the painted head light rims have that affect along with accenting the overall design of the car.

John Clary
                          Greer, SC

Are grown possums born dead in the middle of the road?
                          SDC member since 1975
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Say it isn't so

I was hoping to one day see it in person. We all should try and keep tabs on its future.

Don't know if I can snipe a bid at the last second but we'll see.

Hmmmm A studebaker investment, all paypal donations/errrrrr/investments welcome. kkad***@#%*.com (kidding)

I too, can't wait to see what comes from Dicks shop next.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                              In reading the ad, it dawned on me; the car no longer has chrome headlamp doors
                              Lee had the stock chrome headlight doors on the car when he did it, but it is one of the "departures" from the original I chose to make.

I think the chrome was an afterthought and a mistake on Studebaker's part. It broke up the (beautiful) line of the front fender. It added to the cost of the car and (IMHO) hurt the looks.

One of the great things about a custom/modified. You can correct Studebaker's MISTAKES .

Dick Steinkamp
                              I wasn't disagreeing with their removal, Dick; in fact, I agree with your reasoning.

Come to think of it, my observation proved your point: The car looked so natural with body-color headlight doors that I hadn't noticed the absence of chrome ones![:0]

You wonder if Bob Bourke might have thought about body-color headlight doors at some point in the car's design, but was overruled by others who "knew" all headlamp doors in 1953 had to be die-cast chrome plate.[}] BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X