Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive in the rain to show... or... don't go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive in the rain to show... or... don't go?

When I get up in the morning I have to make the decision.... Drive to the Atlantic Zone Meet in Harrisonburg from NJ with ominous weather forecasting...OR...stay home and go to a local show on Sunday? I'd be driving my 58 President 2 door hard top, probably a 390 point car. What to do?

Sooooo...after thinking it all through I decicded to go!! Yea... Got in the car, started up quickly, drove 50 feet and she stoped. No spark, changed the coil, still no spark. Both sides of the coil are live when the key is on, still no spark, tried to adj the points and cleaned them, still no spark. Any suggestions??????????????? Jim Rostron
    Jim Rostron

I'm going to drive a 190 point 48 Business coupe to Kansas in the rain. I go for the fun and fellowship. And all the BS.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
    SDC Member 1985

Comment

Make the drive. It will be hot and sunny in Harrisonburg.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I trailer sometimes and drive them at other times. The chance of rain has never kept me from going either way. Our convertible has scored 397 points and sits on the trailer mainly because I don't care to drive it on long trips without A/C in 90 degree weather ( consession to old age)but still gets dirty on the open trailer, it is a little bit of work but they clean up.

Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Wipers were standard in '58, weren't they? And with a President, I'd bet it has defrost as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:I'm going to drive a 190 point 48 Business coupe to Kansas in the rain. I go for the fun and fellowship. And all the BS.
            Way to answer, Carl!
            (are you providing any of the BS, by the way?)

Chris Pile
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That would be the Atlantic Zone meet of the Studebaker [u]DRIVERS</u> Club right?

Pat Casey
              55 Commander
              58 Transtar
              62 GT Hawk
              66 Cruiser
              SDC Member since 1988

Comment

If you have to ask Chris you don't know Carl very well I'll be right in there putting my 2 cents worth in.

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

quote:I'm going to drive a 190 point 48 Business coupe to Kansas in the rain. I go for the fun and fellowship. And all the BS.
                Way to answer, Carl!
                (are you providing any of the BS, by the way?)

Chris Pile
                Midway Chapter SDC
                The Studebaker Special
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I drove my Avanti back from Reedsville in torrential rain...I would avoid that experience, if at all possible, again. There were cars in the center ditch of RT78 for miles.

Defrosters don't work well in this weather without A/C to dehumidify the air.

Hydroplaning is possible with new radials and probable if you are running bias-ply tires.

Do you feel your tail lights will be visible to the idiots speeding up behind you without their lights on?

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

We all like to go in the sun but things aren't always perfect ...just take some stuff to clean her up ...worry about hail not rain

[IMG]
                    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                    1964 Daytona HT
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Wipers were standard in '58, weren't they? And with a President, I'd bet it has defrost as well.
                      Tom, Tom, Tom...

This unerring sense of perspective is exactly why I like you [8D]

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                      In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                      If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

It would depend on the forecast for the destination. I don't care to go to a car show to sit and watch the rain, never mind having to clean up the car. The increased risk of accident in wet conditions is another consideration.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Having a driver it's a no brainer here, just pick up and go and bring a small satchel of cleaning agents and wipes to polish it up at the show. . As far as I know they didn't build these things out of snow, which also resolves covering em at the meet [)]. I do know that rain brings out some minor annoying details such as gasket leaks(yeehaw, our Avanti is good for this), wipers that do an okay job, and whether the defroster is doing it's okay job of clearing the windshield, so have the optional Studebaker defroster rag ready [)].

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00016-2-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

As long as all the windows are sealed and the wipers work, go for it!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                            '63 F2/Lark Standard
                            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                            www.studebakersandiego.com
                            Clark in San Diego
                            '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
                            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Those of us who drive regularly are often caught in the rain -and, occasionally, the snow- and still manage to receive a trophy at the SDC National Meet. Like anything else, wipers, and wiper motors that are not regularly exercised will atrophy.
                              As Pat said, I would prefer to drive to and from a show in the rain than sit at a show in the rain.
                              I'm still willing to do both. Our hobby is more about the great people involved. The cars just bring us together.

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                              X