What would be worth more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be worth more?

Something odd occurred to me the other day.

GM has gone bankrupt, Studebaker never did.

If in say July of 1963 you had bought 100 shares each of Studebaker stock and GM stock which would be worth more today? (Yes, I know the Studebaker stock wouldn't be in Studebaker anymore but assuming you had just held the stock through whatever changes have happened in the past 46 years).

Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net
    Jeff DeWitt

As of today (6/16/09), Studebaker successor Federal Mogul (FDML) is trading at $10.94 per share. GM (GMGMQ.PK) is trading at $1.33 per share.

It's hard to compare though, because it's very difficult to track stock splits, etc. through all the different years and owners. I'm pretty sure though with GM at $1.33 that Studebaker stockholders would be WAY ahead of GM owners, just not sure by how much...

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I did purchase Studebaker stock in the 1963/1964 time frame and still have it. It is now only worth collector value for the certificates. I have Studebaker stock certificates from various time periods, but those are the only ones issued in my name. Corporations can be disolved and changed without going bankrupt.
      I never purchased GM stock directly (perhaps held by some mutual fund that I had).

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

As noted, GM split their stock 2-for-1 several times. They also bought and then issued stock certificates to existing GM stockholders in such companies as Electronic Data Systems, Hughes, and Raytheon. GM also paid regular dividends until early 2009.

It would be a complicated calculation to make.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary L.

I did purchase Studebaker stock in the 1963/1964 time frame and still have it. It is now only worth collector value for the certificates.
          OK, but what happened to the actual investment? We know Studebaker mergered and acquisitioned itself out of existence but each time that happened the stockholders would have been issued stock in the new company right? So although the stock CERTIFICATES may have no real value the investment does.

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

It would be a complicated calculation to make.
          I think that's a bit of British understatement!

And... just for sake of discussion supposed Great Aunt Martha bought those 200 shares of stock and put them in a safe deposit box. She recently shuffled off this mortal coil and you find yourself with those 200 shares of stock.

What happens next?

Jeff DeWitt
          Jeff DeWitt

Comment

Wallpaper.[)]
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Well, my uncle, who is a wonderful and God fearing 90 years old always drove a Ford and always drank Coca Cola. He's bought stock in both since the 40s. I wish him health and happiness. Someday we'll find out just how well he did. But I'm in no hurry....
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JeffDeWitt

quote:Originally posted by Gary L.

I did purchase Studebaker stock in the 1963/1964 time frame and still have it. It is now only worth collector value for the certificates.
                OK, but what happened to the actual investment? We know Studebaker mergered and acquisitioned itself out of existence but each time that happened the stockholders would have been issued stock in the new company right? So although the stock CERTIFICATES may have no real value the investment does.

Jeff DeWitt
                A 1 - Down the tubes.
                A 2 - Wrong.
                and - Wrong.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I guess I'm fortunate. I bought 200 shares of Chrysler in 96, which soon split & became 400 shares. When Mercedes took over, my stock became 249 shares of Daimler-Chrysler, which after they spun off Chrysler, became Daimler stock. Interesting to note that at the time of the spin off, Ford owned the Daimler name (still owned Jaguar which Daimler was a version of the Jag sedan) & gave Mercedes permission to use the name Daimler as their corporate name.

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                  X