never heard this before...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never heard this before...

Went to a parts house to get a small part for my lark, struck up a conversation with the guy behind the counter about Studebakers, and he asked me the question:

"You know what happened with Studebaker once they closed, don't you?"

I told him, "Well, they had diversified their finances in various companies..."

He interupted "-they were absorbed by Chrystler."

I lifted my eyebrow. "well, I know that they moved production to Hamilton Ontario for their last two years, but I have never heard that one before..."

The guy went on: "Yeah, most of the employees for Studebaker moved to Chrystler, and Chrytler took possession of all their manufacturing equipment and blueprints. That is where they got alot of their designs from."

He went on to say: "if you look at your water jacket on your engine block...you do know what that is don't you? (I nodded, feeling insulted) "well, if you look at the number stamped into the water jacket, then call the customer service center at Chrystler, they can get you all of the information on that particular engine and replacement parts available"

I Answered: "But the block was cast in the South Bend Studebaker factory..."

"Yeah, but Chrystler has all the documents on those Studebaker motors." He was then called away by some mechanic needing something urgent. I paid for my parts with a different guy and left.

So, I haven't really checked into it, but I am almost positive that this story can't be credible. At least I can be sure that it makes absolutely no sense compared to what I have heard and read about.

Can anyone clear this up?

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

The gentleman is a fountain of misinformation. Myth busted. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

What a load!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard
      http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
      www.studebakersandiego.com
      Clark in San Diego
      '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
      http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I was reading an article in TW several years ago about the closing in South Bend, and they mentioned to whom they sold the dies and equipment from the engine foundry and etc. It was Chrysler to whom that was sold. However, the article didn't say that Chrysler ever produced what they had bought in that sale.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I was reading an article in TW several years ago about the closing in South Bend, and they mentioned to whom they sold the dies and equipment from the engine foundry and etc. It was Chrysler to whom that was sold. However, the article didn't say that Chrysler ever produced what they had bought in that sale.
          I believe Chrysler leased Building 47/47A/48/48A for a period of time in the 1960's as a Parts Warehouse, and nothing more.

What is common to some Chrysler products, however, are some Prestolite electrical system components, ignition switches, and a few other pieces of lighting hardware.

Craig

Comment

YEah, see, I knew that there were some Chrysler products used on my Lark, (that is what started the conversation) and I was confused at the equipment transfer, as I had never heard anything about that. I was positive that the "blueprints" and "employee" statements were hogwash, though, as well as the whole "call Chrysler for info on your Studebaker motor" thing. I just needed to get my story straight, so that next time, if someone tries to throw that out, I can positively and strongly contradict them without mew being the one making a fool of myself. Thanks guys!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

He may be confusing Studebaker with AMC.
              Denny L

Comment

I think that he is mixing American Motors (Nash & Hudson) history with Studebaker history. Chrysler did buy out AMC. Many people think that Studebaker became part of AMC.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think that Denny & Gary hit the nail on the head. AMC was absorbed by Chrysler in the late '70s, but Chrysler has nothing to do with anything made by Studebaker.
                  Boy oh boy, you have to wonder where some people get these strange ideas, and then speak about them as though they were gospel.
                  Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

No matter what the hobby be it cars or basket weaving. You will run into self designated experts on everything from manure to shoe polish. Most don't know the difference between the two. Looks like you ran into one.

Comment

This past weekend I had my '70 Avanti at a car/airplane show and one guy walked up with his buddies...he was telling them it was a French car powered by a small block Chevy. I really hated to burst his bubble!

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have a 1986 Jeep made by AMC
                        quote:Originally posted by raprice

I think that Denny & Gary hit the nail on the head. AMC was absorbed by Chrysler in the late '70s, but Chrysler has nothing to do with anything made by Studebaker.

Rog

Smithtown,NY

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                        7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                        http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
                        SDC Member 1985

Comment

Guess I ought to take my overdrive to Chryzler to get it working. Dumb me.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Should have asked if he was talking about the Chrysler in Canada or China that might have made him think a little and the answer would have been great to hear...wonders will never end..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raprice

I think that Denny & Gary hit the nail on the head. AMC was absorbed by Chrysler in the late '70s
                              Chrysler bought AMC in 1988.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X