This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle problem with a Golden Hawk

Just to let you know that this was the rear axle shaft that snapped.

Comment

Just to let you know that this was the rear axle shaft that snapped.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kompressor 57
        [u]Yep</u>; that's why Fairborn Studebaker offers complete, newly-designed and manufactured flanged-axle conversion kits. See their advertisement in any recent Turning Wheels.

This is a common problem becoming more common.

If pricing around $500 seems a little tall, compare that amount with the $$$$ damage that can be done and the towing required when a tapered-axle shaft breaks at speed...or even moving from the driveway to the garage! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[u]Yep</u>; that's why Fairborn Studebaker offers complete, newly-designed and manufactured flanged-axle conversion kits. See their advertisement in any recent Turning Wheels.

This is a common problem becoming more common.

If pricing around $500 seems a little tall, compare that amount with the $$$$ damage that can be done and the towing required when a tapered-axle shaft breaks at speed...or even moving from the driveway to the garage! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I replied to your post in the Tech section :

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=7612

Yah .. its a time bomb ticking for all of us. I had
            my replacement axle checked for cracks after I found
            the bent one on my Avanti. I plan to buy the upgrade
            Fairborn kit eventually.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I replied to your post in the Tech section :

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=7612

Yah .. its a time bomb ticking for all of us. I had
              my replacement axle checked for cracks after I found
              the bent one on my Avanti. I plan to buy the upgrade
              Fairborn kit eventually.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thank you all for your comments, I have found them to be highly useful. In order to replace the snapped axle shaft I am considering replacing the existing shaft with a Ford 9 inch rear axle. Could you please let me know whether you consider the potential replacement to be sufficient or whether the Ford 9 inch rear axle may in the future also snap? Thank you again for your comments in assisting me.

Comment

Thank you all for your comments, I have found them to be highly useful. In order to replace the snapped axle shaft I am considering replacing the existing shaft with a Ford 9 inch rear axle. Could you please let me know whether you consider the potential replacement to be sufficient or whether the Ford 9 inch rear axle may in the future also snap? Thank you again for your comments in assisting me.

Comment

To answer your question....

1)Yes, the 9" Ford can be swapped in.
                    2)You will spend three to four times as much to swap a Ford 9" diff in as it would be to just put in a pair of flanged axles from Fairborn.
                    I have a 9" in my Hawk that was swapped in in the 70's and it has given me no problems. (But I probably have a only a thousnad miles on it since the swap[|)]).
                    I also have a 9" in my Coupe Express and it works great. I wheeled and dealed like heck and it still cost me over a grand to set up.
                    Dollar for dollar, the flanged axle upgrade is hard to beat. Get the axles, and a Turner brake upgrade, and you'll be all set for the same price as just the Ford 9".
                    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                    Brooklet, Georgia
                    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                    '61 Hawk (project)
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

To answer your question....

1)Yes, the 9" Ford can be swapped in.
                      2)You will spend three to four times as much to swap a Ford 9" diff in as it would be to just put in a pair of flanged axles from Fairborn.
                      I have a 9" in my Hawk that was swapped in in the 70's and it has given me no problems. (But I probably have a only a thousnad miles on it since the swap[|)]).
                      I also have a 9" in my Coupe Express and it works great. I wheeled and dealed like heck and it still cost me over a grand to set up.
                      Dollar for dollar, the flanged axle upgrade is hard to beat. Get the axles, and a Turner brake upgrade, and you'll be all set for the same price as just the Ford 9".
                      Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                      Brooklet, Georgia
                      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                      '61 Hawk (project)
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As Jeff has said, just go with the flanged axle arrangement. The Dana 44 in your hawk is more than capable and will give long service once the new axles are installed.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As Jeff has said, just go with the flanged axle arrangement. The Dana 44 in your hawk is more than capable and will give long service once the new axles are installed.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I hope that the discussion about the rear axle can contribute to increased safety with us all in Studebakers!
                            In my case the axle shaft snapped off at 55 mph and the car slid uncontrollably on 3 wheels without a working brake for 400 metres. The car was in flames and as you can imagine badly damaged. I am glad that nobody was injured during the accident.
                            To prevent this from happening to others it might be better to choose a rear flanged-axle conversion kit from Fairborn or 9" Ford which will last for longer and ensure the safety of the Studebaker drivers.
                            Thank you all again for your comments which I have found to be most useful.

Comment

I hope that the discussion about the rear axle can contribute to increased safety with us all in Studebakers!
                              In my case the axle shaft snapped off at 55 mph and the car slid uncontrollably on 3 wheels without a working brake for 400 metres. The car was in flames and as you can imagine badly damaged. I am glad that nobody was injured during the accident.
                              To prevent this from happening to others it might be better to choose a rear flanged-axle conversion kit from Fairborn or 9" Ford which will last for longer and ensure the safety of the Studebaker drivers.
                              Thank you all again for your comments which I have found to be most useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X