160 speedometer... in 1938!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 speedometer... in 1938!

I'm vacationing in Tallahassee, FL this week with "Studebaker George".

I talked him into getting his '38 Commander out of the garage. He said that all of the interior is original, and all of the paint, except for the fenders. Maybe later this week we can blow the dust off and put a few miles on it. [8D]

I noticed it has a 160 speedometer. Did Studebaker put these in their cars in 1938? And it doesn't seem likely with this car, but would it be metric? George doesn't think it's metric. But the 160 part has us confused. (He'd never noticed it before).

I know that R2 Avanti's came with a 160 speedo. But I guess Studebaker was ahead of itself back in '38.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Should be easy enough to tell if it is metric just by driving it. At 40mph it would read about 64. My guess is that it is metric, no other reason for it to read 160.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Part# 193524 Speedometer (head) Metric

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, since Studebakers can go downhill, I don't see why it couldn't be mph......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Well, since Studebakers can go downhill, I don't see why it couldn't be mph......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
          Hmmm, downhill........or dropped from a plane![}]

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

So a 1938 Stude didn't come with a 160 mile per hour speedometer?

What a let down. [)]

Comment

You know......... with those streamlined headlite pods - and those rear vent windows to relive the pressure build-up in the rear cabin, it may well BE MPH![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, I do believe that the 160 MPH speedometer was designed by the father of the guy who came up with the second gear start transmission...twenty years later...

Comment

OK guys...

So the car has a metric speedo. George said that the car came out of upstate New York. So there is a chance that the car was originally built for the Canadian market.

Is there anything else that we could check for to confirm that?

The serial tag has "South Bend" on it. Did Canadian built cars have South Bend on the serial tag?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Canada is on the metric system now, but is fairly recent (late 70's maybe). In 1938 it was not. If that is a metric speedo, it must have been meant for a European market.

Don

Comment

quote:[i]
                      So the car has a metric speedo.
                      Matt:

Can you confirm the odometer also registers in kilometers as opposed to miles? The reason I ask is the clear plastic appears to be separate from the speedometer and is one piece that includes the other gauges as well, and that part only may have been replaced at one time. As Don correctly stated, Canadian market cars didn't get metric speedometers intalled in them until the late seventies. If it actually was a non-North American market car, it may also have the word 'EXPORT' molded into the glass headlight lenses as well.

Craig

Comment

A few years ago I had a metric speedometer for '47 to '49 Commanders. I was going to put it in my '47 five-passenger, but sold the car. I later put the speedometer on eBay.
                        I once had a '92 Chrysler New Yorker with a digital dash. You could switch all readings from US to metric by pushing a button. I used to switch the speedometer to metric when I was crusing at 70 - 75 mph and then wait for my passengers' reaction (Holy xxxx, you're going 115???)

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

This shows that you guys know so little about pre WWII Studebakers. Here is a photo of the speedometer in my '38 Coupe Express. It is the performance model with the high compression head, special carb jetting, the hot cam and high speed rear end. Of course this model had to have a 200 mph speedometer!

Richard Quinn
                          editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
                            It is the performance model with the high compression head, special carb jetting, the hot cam and high speed rear end. Of course this model had to have a 200 mph speedometer!
                            Funny how it goes in 20 mph increments until you hit 140 mph, then it jumps an astounding 60 mph!! VERY clever![]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
                              It is the performance model with the high compression head, special carb jetting, the hot cam and high speed rear end. Of course this model had to have a 200 mph speedometer!
                              Funny how it goes in 20 mph increments until you hit 140 mph, then it jumps an astounding 60 mph!! VERY clever![]

Craig
                              I think somewhere over 140 is when the factory installed NOS system kicks in pushing up to that 200 mark...

I wonder if the temp gauge was in C or F?

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
                              [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

Working...
                              X