No announcement yet.

Kelly Ripa 6/11/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeepers... Smelly Rippa must have at least 20 years on me. She oughtta have at least a passing knowledge of Studebaker... "passing fancy"? I dunno. Doesn't seem like Studes were ever a "fad" thing. The dopey girl!![V]

LH

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark

I wrote Studebaker 1852 - 1966 a pretty long fancy, Studebaker and his horse took Lincoln to the Ford theater.

Better check your facts, Bob.

Comment

JBoyle has it right about Regis. I almost expected to run into him at a hotel near Notre Dame at the South Bend meet. He's there at least four times a year. I read his book. (I didn't say I paid for it ) Go get 'em Regis and do it in a Rockne! He's Only One Man!!
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Originally posted by clonelark

I wrote Studebaker 1852 - 1966 a pretty long fancy, Studebaker and his horse took Lincoln to the Ford theater.

Better check your facts, Bob.

Are you saying Lincoln didn't ride a Studebaker to the Lincoln Theater?
          http://abrahamlincolnblog.blogspot.c...-carriage.html

Chip
          '63 Cruiser daily driver
          '57 Packard wagon on the road!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I like the idea of inviting them and their crew to CR for the big one next month! Might be just the thing for them.
            I'm sure there'd be no shortage of guys willing to give Kelly a 'ride' in their Stude.

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788
              Are you saying Lincoln didn't ride a Studebaker to the Lincoln Theater?

I'm saying "Studebaker and his horse" didn't either.

Comment

We have given Kelly an open invitation to come to CA for a ride in my 1964 GT Hawk. Yes Studebakers are different by design, but not a passing fancy!

StudeRick &
                Johna, 64GTGAL
                Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1964 Avanti
                StudeRick & Johna
                Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1963 Avanti
                1961 Lark Wagon
                1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

For a better account of the carriage and what it really is:

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/exhi...d=365676101705

Also this from the SNM:

"Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln took this carriage to Fords Theater in Washington, D.C., on the evening of April 14, 1865, the night of his assassination.

The open barouche model carriage was built by Wood Brothers in 1864 and presented to Lincoln by a group of New York merchants shortly before the Presidents second inauguration. The carriage is equipped with six springs and solid silver lamps, door handles and hubcaps. The steps are connected to the doors so that they lower and rise as the doors open and close.

The Studebaker Brothers had a great appreciation for the United States and its history. When given the chance to purchase the Lincoln Carriage in 1889 Clement Studebaker moved quickly. Mr. Studebaker bought the vehicle from F. B. Brewer of New York, who had acquired it from Robert Lincoln, the Presidents son. The younger Lincoln had sold the carriage shortly after his fathers murder. Studebaker shipped the carriage to Chicago and in August 1890 put it on exhibition on the second floor of the Studebaker Michigan Avenue Repository.

The Lincoln Carriage was one of the first items entered into the Studebaker Corporations historic vehicles collection. Today it is one of the most treasured pieces in the Studebaker National Museum."

I try to be careful doling out facts on a national level, otherwise I may get a talk show job.

Comment

If I recall what I saw about the Lincoln carriage at the Studebaker Museum...The carriage was not a Studebaker. It was crafted in New York and given to Lincoln as an inauguration gift. Some time after his death, the carriage was offered for sale and J. M. Studebaker bought it for his private collection. It is my understanding that that is how it happened to come to South Bend and ultimately to the Studebaker Museum.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

Are grown possums born dead in the middle of the road?
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the Link Barnlark, that should clear it up. We should make our best effort to correct "incorrect" statements with "correct" statements.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Some folks are not into cars and maybe Kelly has never been very aware of Studebaker and just knew that they are no longer manufactured. An unscripted exchange could have caused the remark that doesn't match with reality. I would think Regis would be more likely to be aware of Studebaker, but he may have chosen not to contradict her. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her years working at the university. From observation I can see students arriving at Notre Dame, IN and having almost zero contact with the community and graduating with little knowledge about it in 1953. Through the years I think the city and the university have made a conscious effort to have more interaction and both have benefited in my opinion. I forgive Kelly for her remark...maybe she should be invited to Cedar Rapids and made an honorary queen for a day!

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bob Bryant
                          I already invited her to Both Ceder Rapids and The STF dinner. And a free stude history course. Of course the rest of you would have to vote her Queen.

As long as it don't interfer with my planned schedule she has my vote.

Comment

Don't be too hard on her, she was born in 1970 so by the time she started driving, most Studes were long gone. Sort of the same reason why I don't know a lot about Kaisers or Hudsons...if something is off the streets, you don't think or know much about them unless you're a car nut.

A quick aside. I met Regis in the mid-90s while I saw in the service, his son was a DoD civilian student of mine. He's a great guy...he comes across exactly like he is on TV.
                            He even sent my mon an autographed photo..

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by HookedonStudies

Who is Kelly Ripa?
                              Pat Casey

I picture her attending Phoenix.

+
                              +
                              =

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

On the 6/12 show, they made more of the phoney dog that sits behind Regis than in correcting a comment made the day before. Perhaps more should have been said about Regis NOT correcting Kelly than in Kelly's remark.

toyman

Comment

Working...
                                X