Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grease pencil markings-what do they mean?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease pencil markings-what do they mean?

There's a couple of original assembly line grease pencil markings on the firewall of my 63 Lark. One is an "A" and the other (right in the center just above the trans tunnel) is a "3". Any idea what they mean? I suspect the "A" is for Automatic but that's just a guess. As for the "3"?...
    Thanks
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
    64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Assembly line inspection marks; probably have nothing to do with how the car was equipped. My 53 has one above the cowl seam that looks like a P and apparently was applied before the final paint, and another below the seam. It is a 5, applied with a yellow paint marker after the final paint.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Assembly line inspection marks; probably have nothing to do with how the car was equipped. My 53 has one above the cowl seam that looks like a P and apparently was applied before the final paint, and another below the seam. It is a 5, applied with a yellow paint marker after the final paint.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

There's a couple of original assembly line grease pencil markings on the firewall of my 63 Lark. One is an "A" and the other (right in the center just above the trans tunnel) is a "3". Any idea what they mean? I suspect the "A" is for Automatic but that's just a guess. As for the "3"?...
        Thanks
        Todd
        Is your '63 a Hamilton car? And I know your '64 is. If you look real carefully, possibly at an angle above the wiper motor, you will see your paint color written (rather scrawled). In Hamilton, the used that grease pencil to mark the color of the car on the bare metal. I have seen Hamilton cars from the fifties that had markings like 'two tone' and 'solex glass' scrawled across the firewall. In the '53 that had the Solex glass, the letter 'o' in 'solex' encircled the deforster motor.

Craig

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
        64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

Thanks
          Todd
          Is your '63 a Hamilton car? And I know your '64 is. If you look real carefully, possibly at an angle above the wiper motor, you will see your paint color written (rather scrawled). In Hamilton, the used that grease pencil to mark the color of the car on the bare metal. I have seen Hamilton cars from the fifties that had markings like 'two tone' and 'solex glass' scrawled across the firewall. In the '53 that had the Solex glass, the letter 'o' in 'solex' encircled the deforster motor.

Craig

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
          64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

I don't know what they mean, but if you don't have them...I'm taking points off .

(see TT thread)

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't know what they mean, but if you don't have them...I'm taking points off .

(see TT thread)

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks
                Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
                64 Daytona 4dr Sedan
                Here's a pic of similar markings on my '54 Champion:

I don't know what these refer to, although I have not really tried to figure out any possibilities. The same car also has a "22" marked on the rear trunk panel (the panel that the trunklid 'catch' bolts to) which may have been just an inventory number for the these panels.

Another one of my Studebakers has a grease pencil marking clearly visible under the firewall paint.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thanks
                  Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
                  64 Daytona 4dr Sedan
                  Here's a pic of similar markings on my '54 Champion:

I don't know what these refer to, although I have not really tried to figure out any possibilities. The same car also has a "22" marked on the rear trunk panel (the panel that the trunklid 'catch' bolts to) which may have been just an inventory number for the these panels.

Another one of my Studebakers has a grease pencil marking clearly visible under the firewall paint.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

What do the grease pencil markings mean?

Simple, the Sharpie marker wasn't invented yet.

bada bing [}]

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

bada bing [}]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

bada bing [}]

And you'll LOSE points if you use a Sharpie instead of the real McCoy in your restoration![}]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

bada bing [}]

And you'll LOSE points if you use a Sharpie instead of the real McCoy in your restoration![}]

Comment

FWIW, Big Betha didn't have any grease pencil marks on the firewall, but some marks under the hood.

What I found when cleaning/preping for paint:

Craig

Comment

FWIW, Big Betha didn't have any grease pencil marks on the firewall, but some marks under the hood.

What I found when cleaning/preping for paint:

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X