Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthropomorphism - do you or don't you and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leon
    replied
    The Hawk was always called the Hawk, and the Champ truck was always called the Champ. But the 64 Challenger was named 'the little gold car', because of it's color and because it was small compared to the other two.

But this has gotten me thinking, and I believe I will name the Hawk 'Hoover' because of the gas mileage, and the Champ 'Crusher' because it almost certainly will crush me to death someday as much as I am under it.

Leave a comment:

• DilloCrafter
    replied
    Steve, I have a Pontiac Vibe, too. It hasn't had a name yet, but maybe "Orphan" fits.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
    Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    Some of my vehicles get named, some don't. Usually, though, they do, probably because if some do, all ought to (to be equitable!). Some of the names stick while others do not. My old Neon was called "Dino", for several reasons, and the name stuck. My Lark is "Betty"...keeping to a Flintstones theme (prehistoric lady in blue!) and that name also has stuck. However the Vibe, though named "Jessie", usually gets called "the Vibe" or occasionally "the pretend Wagonaire"...the name doesn't seem to stick with that car. Why? Dunno...

S.

Leave a comment:

• R3 challenger
    replied
    Back in the early 1970s, I had a rusty '64 Challenger six-cylinder 2-door that somehow got named "Herkemer"....not sure how or why. My usual thinking on this is that automobile companies spend considerable time (and sometimes $$$) in thinking up effective names for their vehicles, so why not use that? I remember Cousin Bob writing to me in the fall of 1963 saying something like "Boy, Studebaker sure came up with some juicy names for their '64 models....Challenger, Commander, etc."

Having said that, we've had a lot of fun with the Stude Tomato and Plain Brown Wrapper, or Wrapper for short (or PBW in print).

George

george krem

Leave a comment:

• DilloCrafter
    replied
    No, I don't think I would ever apply a special name to my truck.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
    Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Leave a comment:

• Skinnys Garage
    replied
    I grew up around my uncles (mine for the last 30 years) '59 Lark that had Rambler hubcaps on it. Because I was a pretty bright little kid [^] I picked up on those large "R's" from the hubcaps and determined that it must be a "Rudebaker". All the adults got a big kick out of that and never let me forget it, so in my book it's name has been "Rudy" for as long as I can remember.

Skinny
    Watertown, SD

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    A friend's then six year old daughter named my '57 Commander 'Bluebird'.
    Now that I have the build sheet and learned it was originally GRAY and white, I may need to re-name her!

On the way home from Kansas City with the 'new' Cruiser, Nikki started commenting back to the GPS, calling it 'Thelma'. I asked 'If the GPS is 'Thelma', where's 'Louise'?'
    Nikki's answer? 'You're driving her!'[8D]

I've been known to talk to them. No, they haven't answered back... Not yet![:0]

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
    Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
    '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50
    '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
    '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Leave a comment:

• fstst56
    replied
    My folks bought a brand new '61 Lark 2-door hardtop that was a robin-egg blue. After it became an old car we called it "Old Blue"

I bought a '55 wagon when my kids were little. It was green & white. We named it "Barney"

I now have a nice '63 Avanti. If I ever name it I guess I'll call her "Marilyn" (As in Marilyn Monroe) 'cause she is so beautiful & sexy!

Leave a comment:

• raprice
    replied
    I usually don't name my cars. However, my Lark is referred to as "Stude".
    rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    Never anthromorphised.

We all drove "sleds" in the late 80s. These were meant more as insults than affections.
    '70 Coronet 383 - "Helsled" (mine)
    '81 Civic, blue - "Smurfysled"
    '84 Olds w/velour seats "Luxosled"
    '83 Mustang Turbo "Redsled"
    '78 Nova "S.A.M.F.y-sled" attributes of owner, not car.

The Wagonaire got a few nicknames from others, from "The Vanity" to the "Flying Gold Brick" (Krazy Kat reference).

The Hawks are just "The Hawk."

Andy
    62 GT

Leave a comment:

• sasquatch
    replied
    My 2R15 came with his name rusted into the drivers door.

Rick
    Kingman, AZ

"Leroy"

Leave a comment:

• d-funct
    replied
    I've never cared for giving human names to cars. The previous owner had a name for my 57 Champion, but I don't even remember what it was.

The only car I've ever regularly called by a name other than that given by its maker was a 1976 Malibu, and then the only reason for that was our family owned a 1979 Malibu at the same time, so we called the 76 the "Packard".

On the other hand, my 58 Provincial has inspired a few names from others - the most obvious being "the Ghostbusters Car", but my favourite is "Christine's Spinster Aunt".

John

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Old Spot was named by an SDC friend from Michigan. I usually just call it the 52. It's the only car that I've ever had with a name.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    I thought back to the vehicles I had owned in the past.

I can say I never named one before.
    It was always

The truck
    The car

OR

The Grand Prix
    The Toyota

And I think most males do this, I would call any vehicle I had a SHE but never gave a name.

She's been a good truck
    She has issues.
    She has a flat tire.

Even The Lark was called just that The Lark

Think that's why I decided to give this transformation a name/title.

ChopStu

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1927...253197,00.html ChopStu Stew

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Hawk
    replied
    My wife's '73 VW Kombi is called 'Storm', it had the name when I met her. Her explanation - Storm by name and stormy by nature, when I'm working on it, it gets called all sorts of things, none of them nice[:0]

My '56 International pick up gets 'Murray'. I bought it off a fella called Grant Murray, but just didn't look like a Grant.

My son's '66 Valiant ute gets 'Val' for obvious reasons, but my '62 Hawk, just gets 'The Hawk', go figure

Cheers

Matt Brisbane
    Australia

Leave a comment:

Working...
X