Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthropomorphism - do you or don't you and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studeken
    replied
    never named a car before, either, but when I got my 61 Lark wagon I was told that his name was Edgar J. Studbucker, had been for at least the previous 25 years, so Edgar he's been for the 10 years i've had him.

Ken Pyle

Leave a comment:

• Clem64
    replied
    See below. Too many vehicles around this place to call them "The this and The that".

Dean Croft
    Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    You might say that my Wife and Mum started me naming my cars. Robin used to call her Fleetwood Queen Mary (as it was as big as...) and Mum used to call her '56 Chevy wagon, Bessie. Hence, when I got my '56 Parkview, and being she was basically the same colour, she was christened, Ol Bess. I've named a few of my cars and some have been named for me. My '52 was named 'Frumpy the unloved Stude' by my Pastor. I named my '62 sedan Sweetie, because that's what she was like to drive. My '62 Champ pickup made a whinnying sound on the driveway (bad right front bearing) and was basically named by forum members Mister Ed.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Leave a comment:

• bridgegaurd
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by jjones

I have called my vehicles several different expletives over the years, and I am sure I will continue to do so, but so far I haven't named one.

Jeff Jones
    Tucson Arizona
    1947 M-5
    Well i'd name your truck Nesbit cause cause worth having anytime.

Leave a comment:

• hotrodstude
    replied
    the 10-ton(m-123a1c)i was asigned to while i was stationed in thailand i had the paint shop paint it the darkest o/d i could get away with.it looked black.i pen striped it in gold and painted the unit numbers and stars in gold and painted "the beast of bangkok". i loved that truck it could move the world.used to move tanks and heavy equipment,745 cubic inch cummings v-8 with a sliding gear mack trans and mack axles. one tought truck.only draw back was gas mileage.4 mpg with no load. 4 gallons a mile with load.any time there was an inspection top would send me and my co-driver on a road trip.you could find me at the king diamond hotel in bangkok,except for getting to the hotel,and leaving going back to camp.other than that i've never named any of my cars.call them good girl or bad girl.

Leave a comment:

• buddymander
    replied
    No. Because they won't come when I call them.

Leave a comment:

• bridgegaurd
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Greetings, SDCers,

Anthropomorphism is the attribution of uniquely human characteristics to non-human creatures and beings, natural and supernatural phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts.

Have you ever given a vehicle a name? If so why?
    The wagon i bought was sitting in a yard on Midge drive, i couldn't help myself Midge was it.

One of my trucks is named Old Gringo it's worn, and has character like it's namesake.

One is named Ol Snort don't know why just because i guess.

The blue one i picked up while in Guam and have only looked at once is nameless.

My Chevy/Saab/VW uplander has many names!

Leave a comment:

• Hippie
    replied
    Never human names, although I had considered calling the Commander "Ike" for a brief period. Had a'72 Chevelle SS that was Ontario Orange with black vinyl top and black stripes I called "The Great Pumpkin". I love that color but it looks good on so very few cars.....

Analog man in a digital world.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Parker
    replied
    I will name them as long as it might irritate anybody that I would do that. Before this I could take it or leave it -- but now naming them has a purpose. I may even branch out and start naming the nameless cars that belong to other people.[}]

By some reckoning the movie named "CHRISTINE" should have been named "CREEPY RED 1958 PLYMOUTH FURY".
    The Pixar movie "CARS" would have lost a lot of its pace if the vehicles had been referred to by their make and model. The wrecker might have been "Generic 1955 truck" instead of "Mater".
    Instead of referring to the "Brown Wrapper" we could specify "George Krem's 1964 R3 Challenger".
    The list could go on with Garlits' Swamp Rat, and such, but I am far too lazy to devote any more time to it.
    Maybe you could start another thread to list all the famous car names.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Leave a comment:

• jjones
    replied
    I have called my vehicles several different expletives over the years, and I am sure I will continue to do so, but so far I haven't named one.

Jeff Jones
    Tucson Arizona
    1947 M-5

Leave a comment:

• jnormanh
    replied
    Every car, bike, dog, cat, bird, snake and rabbit I've ever had was named, and each had their own distinct personalities, likes, dislikes, and quirks. The four crows who show up at exactly 8 AM every morning for their ration of stale bread and dog food are Eenie, Meenie, Mienie and Mo. They all know their names, and they tell us which brand of food they prefer.

Anthropomorphism? That's a myth, a way for homo sapiens to pretend they're somehow superior to dogs, cats, crows and Studebakers. Don't believe a word of it. Dogs can run faster and smell better than I, birds can see better, cats can hunt better, 'coons are smarter, and elephants and Studebakers live longer.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    I never give them people names, just the Stude. It works as I only have one...right now.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    My '58 Commander is 'Christine'. Why? Cause she's a '58 and has her own personality.

Like my granddad stated above.. We have too many cars. If he said "get the Hawk out", I'd have no idea which one he was referring to.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Does 'Yellow POS' count as an anthropomorphistic name?[:0][]

Leave a comment:

• Tennessee hillbilly
    replied
    Mine is named Studebaker Lark. That's what I call it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X