Full Flow Flathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Flow Flathead

I getting ready to go over to Lowe's to find a plug to put into the outlet of my oil pump on my 56 185. Then I'll run a line from the outlet on the outside of my pump to a 57 289 filter and then from there back to the oil gallery. Then I'll just plug the return line hole in the side of the oil fill tube. I AM concerned with too much pressure on a cold morning blowing the filter right off. It needs a pressure relief valve. Is there already one in there somewhere? What's that thing up near the front behind the timing gear cover? It has about a 7/8" head.

Quote: "What's that thing up near the front behind the timing gear cover? It has about a 7/8" head."

A pressure relief valve.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If I read this correctly, you are trying to plumb a partial flow filter into an engine, that never had a full flow filter, as a full flow filter. The partial flow filter system that you plan on using for full flow has a restrictor in the lines to control the oil through the filter. I can't imagine that you will get enough oil through the restrictor for all of your engine's needs. If you remove the restrictor, I think that you may be asking too much of that filter system.
      My basic question is: Why do you want to attempt this? The correct partial flow filter system for that six is more than enough with modern oils, light use and frequent oil changes.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If I understand you correctly, you are thinking that the external oil line on your pump is the main oil outlet from the pump and that by placing a filter in that line you will obtain a "Full Flow" oil filter. That line along with any other external connection will always give you a "partial flow" or "bypass flow" situation. The "Positive flow" or "Full Flow" from the oil pump to the oil galleries are all internal. In any case, it sounds like you are installing a "spin-on" filter and I like that idea. If your engine is capable of developing enough pressure to blow the filter, you are in rare company.Just make sure that you purchase a fitting with the appropriate flow restriction so that you don't lose oil pressure.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well Gary...were we on the same page?
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Full Flow? So you're blocking the aperture where the pump feeds the gallery and forcing all the oil thru that eighth inch pipe thread outlet? Good luck with that! I could see this having potential IF there's enough meat to open that pipe plug outlet to say, 3/8ths inch AND blocking the outlet to the gallery.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a custom oiling setup on one of my 289's with dual filters and a reverse flow oiling system for the rocker shafts (you can shut them off)...
              I put adjustable valves on the lines so I could 'adjust' them (or shut off the rockers when I was racing)...
              During some...uh...'testing', I blew a couple of standard ol' spin on filters off the mounts...
              My hood will NEVER rust...
              Pic's are somewhere...
              Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

So Jeff...at what pressure did the filters blow?
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Studerich--A pressure relief valve? Excellent. That should save the filter. Biggs--There's enough meat to open the outlet to 3/8" and the opening to the gallery is machined. It looks like a 7/16" fine thread allen head plug would be best. Studegary--Glad you mentioned that restrictor;I better drill it out. Now what about the restrictor for the lifters? Where's the best place to get one?

Comment

I'd say you simply cannot use a bypass filter unit in a full-flow application. I really doubt the seal would hold.

Now, I DID once convert a partial-flow 170 OHV six to full-flow. I bought an after-market remote oil filter base that accepted a PH8 filter, IIRC. Plugged the oil pump outlet like you suggested, and ran a 3/8" hard line to the new filter base, and from the new filter base, a 3/8" hard line ran back to the main oil gallery. This engine did plenty of miles, but was eventually retired for reason of bad rings. The filter system didn't leak.

If you simply MUST have a full-flow filter on your flathead, I'd suggest you go that route.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

gordr--so you're saying to run 3/8" line, right? the rest is the same, I think. I'll be using a spin on filter on the remote I got with the 57 Silver Hawk I bought. I thought it was what came originally on it. I sure don't want to use the original canister filter that came on the six. I was really considering running the stock six lines if I could find the restrictor and remove it or drill it out.

Comment

Studegary--I don't want ANY particles reaching my bearings. If a tiny particle of bearing or timing gear or crank, rod, piston wears off, it can go straight to the crankshaft journals. What good is clean oil if the crank isn't protected?

Comment

Buddy, there are spin-on BYPASS filters out there, the Fram PB50 is one, and that might be what came on your Hawk. If it's plumbed in with thin tubing, like brake line tubing, it has to be a bypass type.

Now, the Hawk might have had a full-flow remote filter added as an after-market conversion, and if you are sure that's what you have, it'd be OK to use that, I expect.

Comment

So, gordr, did you bore out the outlet of the oil pump? Mine has a 1/8" size fitting. I guess I need to bore that to 3/8" and also bore an inlet port to the gallery to 3/8? as well?

Comment

I really don't see what you intend to gain from all this trouble. My father drove a 1940 Chevy until 1969 with NO oil filter at all. He just changed the oil often. Our Studebaker engines don't take the oil from the bottom of the sump. Therefore, most heavy crap will settle to the bottom of the sump to be drained with the next oil change. The main bearings in our engines are made of rather soft material and small debris that manages to flow into these areas will embed into the bearing material and cause very little wear. I am currently running two flat head six's with no filter. I am planning to re-install filters and they will be stock by-pass style filters. If you are going to accumulate enough debris in your engine to cause engine failure, you'll probably have enough to clog the inlet screen and cause failure anyway. I think that most premature engine failures are due to problems other than well filtered oil. Like running hot, improper choice of oil, improper oil change intervals, or over-stressing and abusing the engine.

John Clary
                              Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                              SDC member since 1975
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X