Nu Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nu Finish

A couple of you recommended "Nu Finish" in another thread recently. Today I applied a coat of it on my '58, and I'm impressed with it. It took a while, a '58 sedan is a big car. It's hard to get 51 year old paint to shine, but this stuff did a fairly decent job. (You can see the reflection of the Ford truck in the rear quarter panel.) After I finished, the car was left outside in a rain storm, and the wax did a really great job of beading off the water. Now I have to wait and see if it really lasts a year like the label states.

BTW, I didn't lick it to see if it has an orange flavor. I'll take Lark Parker's word for it.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Matt, every time I see a good picture of this car...I WANT IT!! (especially now that it is shiny!)

On a side note: I have this book titled "Cars of the Fabulous 50's" and on the page for 1958 Studebakers, there is a picture spread (3 pictures) of a car exactly like yours, same paint, body, everything. At least it looks just like yours. I could not believe it when I saw it!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

I don't get tired of seeing photos of this car.[]

Gee I'd look great, in a Stude 58!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I can tell that it's not the rainy shot you had when you got it, unless you're really good. That's funny, my NAPA near work ordered it for me and I just picked up a bottle today! We'll compare notes in a year.

Comment

y'know, I just realized, that's pretty close to the "bronze" color of my new Impala, which is the last car I used nu-finish on. It's still beading two months later... even in the epic rain we've been having here the last few weeks...

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hey Matt...I'll buy the stuff and supply the polishing rags. All you have to do is hop in that fine looking shiny car and drive up the interstate. You can supply the energy and elbow grease and (we) can get my '55 C cab shiny again!

John Clary
            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone. Tutone, I have that same book. The car is a Champion, but otherwise identical to mine.

Dave, no doubt your ragtop will look MUCH better in a year. Mine has 51 year old paint and gets driven in the rain. [)]

John, I'll be heading up near Atlanta in about a week with the car, for a Stude get-together. It'd be nice if I could go east and visit your place. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, for some reason I thought you lived close to Atlanta. After looking up Hazelhurst, you are about 300+ miles from me. In that case you get a pass on driving over to polish my truck.

John Clary
                Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

I have the same book! I had almost forgotten about it. I bought it when Matthew was very young. It would keep him occupied for hours on end. I just went and found it and sure enough There is Matthew's car. We even got a magnifing glass to check the tag#. It is not a GA. tag, and the car in the book is a Champion, Matthew's is a Commander. Other than that, It appears to be identical. NT

On a side note: I have this book titled "Cars of the Fabulous 50's" and on the page for 1958 Studebakers, there is a picture spread (3 pictures) of a car exactly like yours, same paint, body, everything. At least it looks just like yours.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Neil Thornton
                  Hazlehurst, GA
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '56 Sky Hawk
                  '51 2R16 dump truck
                  Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I don't know what I did wrong in the above post. It was supposed to be ahead of Matthew's last one. Tutone, I didn't mean to steal your post. I'm still trying to figure out this infernal contraption!!! NT

Neil Thornton
                    Hazlehurst, GA
                    '57 Silver Hawk
                    '56 Sky Hawk
                    '51 2R16 dump truck
                    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

The '58 is looking good Matthew.
                      What a chick (or old man) magnet you have.

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO
                      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

I put some nu-finish on my brand x I first clayed the car and then used a cleaner-wax and then I appelied the nu finish , time will tell, it says on the bottle to apply a 2nd coat in 30 days for extra protection,has any one put a 2nd coat on? did it make a diffrence??

Joseph Kastellec
                        Joseph Kastellec

Comment

quote:Originally posted by G T Joe

I put some nu-finish on my brand x I first clayed the car and then used a cleaner-wax and then I appelied the nu finish , time will tell, it says on the bottle to apply a 2nd coat in 30 days for extra protection,has any one put a 2nd coat on? did it make a diffrence??

Joseph Kastellec
                          I use NuFinish on our everyday cars. I usually do it once per year. The cars are garaged and not washed excessively. The finish stays nice over a year. Last Spring, I did my Acura and then about a month later did it a second time. It got the two times mostly because the first time was a rush finish due to a storm starting. Both cars still look good and water beads well on them. Besides home washes, one has been washed at the dealer and the other has gone through commercial washes. I plan on doing them both again this year, but haven't got aroundtuit yet (not a high priority item). [Today, I was fighting with a mouse nest and an active bee hive under the hood of a car that hasn't been used in 10 months.]

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"Champ Shine"?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                            '63 F2/Lark Standard
                            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                            www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X