STP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STP

what did "STP" STAND FOR WHEN IT FIRST came out?

i was told it stood for STUDEBAKER TRUCK PRODUCTS.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW?

Scientifically Treated Petroleum.

Comment

Scientifically Treated Petroleum is correct, but I've also heard it stands for "STudebakerPackard", which while making some sense, is no more than a coincidence as the STP brand name predates Studebaker buying Chemical Compounds, which was the maker of STP.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

thanks guys. you ended that urbal ledgon

Comment

Yeah, I always hoped that it stood for STudebaker Packard, too. There was a previous thread about this, I was gonna post it, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

http://www.stp.com/history.html

STP History
            Scientifically Treated Petroleum
            quote:Originally posted by hotrodstude

what did "STP" STAND FOR WHEN IT FIRST came out?

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

How funny!

Years ago, must have been 35 years ago or so, I was at a Studebaker meet with my Dad, and someone said that STP stood for "Studebaker Top Performance". All these years, until this very moment I thought that's what it meant!

Myth Busted!

Steve
              Minden, Nevada

1950 2R5 truck
              1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project
              Steve
              Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

I remember when Studebaker had a contest for what STP stood for & they gave the example of "Studebakers Tickled Pink" in the ad. I wonder who won & with what name? In their early ad's on TV, especially on "Mr Ed" they stated the scientifically treated petroleum meaning, remember the screwdriver example? Ahhhhhh, memories!

60 Lark convertible
                61 Champ
                62 Daytona convertible
                63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2)
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

This is going to be terribly politically INCORRECT, but . . .

When I was in high school in the mid-`60's, all the guys picked up STP stickers at the local auto parts stores. We stuck them in the back windows of our cars, and although we knew it was an oil treatment, we said it stood for (forgive me) Start Teenage Pregnancies.

See, I told you it was politally (or even politely) INCORRECT!

JohnP, driving & reviving
                  an early Lark
                  sigpic
                  JohnP, driving & reviving
                  60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

The earlier cans of STP oil treatment stated something like "German formula or developed" on them.
                    I knew it to start out as Scientificaly Treated Petroleum, but after they diversified, I believe that they went with Scientifically Tested Products.
                    I remember a lot of people breaking oil pumps because they didn't follow directions and just poured a can of STP oil treatment in along with the oil during an oil change rather than slowly pouring it into a warm, running engine.
                    STP motor oil is the the only oil that I had lubrication problems with, on several different engines.
                    I remember, in 1960, when I had a service station, someone pulling in with a rough idling car and asking for STP. As we poured it in, the engine smoothed out.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I remember the commercials with Andy Granatelli dipping a screwdriver blade into a can of motor oil and still being able to hold it, then dipping a different screwdriver blade into a can of STP and not being able to hold onto it. It was a very effective commercial...it got the point across very well...probably one of the more effective demonstrations of a product ever.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by allstateguy

This is going to be terribly politically INCORRECT, but . . .

When I was in high school in the mid-`60's, all the guys picked up STP stickers at the local auto parts stores. We stuck them in the back windows of our cars, and although we knew it was an oil treatment, we said it stood for (forgive me) Start Teenage Pregnancies.

See, I told you it was politally (or even politely) INCORRECT!

....and along the same lines, we said it stood for Sweet Tasting....er, something or another.[]Later a barroom buddy thought it stood for Studebaker Test Products.As I was to find out, both were incorrect.

Comment

Working...
                        X