This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Admin. bldg. on 10 most endangered

There was a thread a while back on the fate of the Studebaker Administration building in South Bend. It has now been placed on the 10 most endangered list.

I received this email from Larry Swanson and he asks:
    "Any ideas anyone?"

http://www.historiclandmarks.org/new...most06-10.html

How can SDC save this building? I think we should try.

Don Cuddihee

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

I'd like to see it saved. Sadly, like so many structures that were symbols of this country's manufacturing might, if city fathers see a chance to make a buck.....[V]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd like to see it saved. Sadly, like so many structures that were symbols of this country's manufacturing might, if city fathers see a chance to make a buck.....[V]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd say don't worry. There are good signs it will be saved.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I'd say don't worry. There are good signs it will be saved.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Of all the buildings in the "Studebaker Corridor" probably HALF of downtown South Bend, THIS is definetely THE one to save! I wonder if the City whom Studebaker GAVE this to, charged $1.00 per year to the former tennant: the S.B. School System like they did on the Engineering Bldg. lease to SASCO? If they had charged what they should have, maybe there would be enough money to upgrade it to current standards? ...Anyway it does NEED to be SAVED!

quote:Originally posted by lstude

There was a thread a while back on the fate of the Studebaker Administration building in South Bend. It has now been placed on the 10 most endangered list.
            "Any ideas anyone?"
            Don Cuddihee
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Of all the buildings in the "Studebaker Corridor" probably HALF of downtown South Bend, THIS is definetely THE one to save! I wonder if the City whom Studebaker GAVE this to, charged $1.00 per year to the former tennant: the S.B. School System like they did on the Engineering Bldg. lease to SASCO? If they had charged what they should have, maybe there would be enough money to upgrade it to current standards? ...Anyway it does NEED to be SAVED!

quote:Originally posted by lstude

"Any ideas anyone?"
              Don Cuddihee
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The membership of this club has the wherewithal to effectively save this building. It's a crying shame that the museum purchased (at market value) two buildings when they could have had this one for a dollar. Yes, yes, I know the argument that it's an old building. The Asbestos scare tactics won't work on me. Most of that stuff can be effectively sealed in where it is and never be a problem. The only place it can be is wear surfaces like counter tops and floors. There was very little to no Asbestos tile used at the time of construction of this building.

So the main argument against this building is bunk. Apathy amoung our members will cause this last vestige of the company to be lost.

It's so frustrating to be poor...

Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The membership of this club has the wherewithal to effectively save this building. It's a crying shame that the museum purchased (at market value) two buildings when they could have had this one for a dollar. Yes, yes, I know the argument that it's an old building. The Asbestos scare tactics won't work on me. Most of that stuff can be effectively sealed in where it is and never be a problem. The only place it can be is wear surfaces like counter tops and floors. There was very little to no Asbestos tile used at the time of construction of this building.

So the main argument against this building is bunk. Apathy amoung our members will cause this last vestige of the company to be lost.

It's so frustrating to be poor...

Lotsa Larks!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I already stated in an earlier thread that I have spoken to the people now selling the building and the only asbestos to be found is around some pipes for heating in the basement. This is a NON ISSUE! I am confident the building will be saved one way or another. It's as solid as a rock and there are indications that it will be saved.

I am told that any purchaser of the building will have to agree to certain conditions, like J.M.'s office must be preserved. It is in great condition.

Comment

I already stated in an earlier thread that I have spoken to the people now selling the building and the only asbestos to be found is around some pipes for heating in the basement. This is a NON ISSUE! I am confident the building will be saved one way or another. It's as solid as a rock and there are indications that it will be saved.

I am told that any purchaser of the building will have to agree to certain conditions, like J.M.'s office must be preserved. It is in great condition.

Comment

[/quote]

I most certainly hope it is not only saved, but preserved 'as is' on the top floor as well. The President's and Vice President's Offices are most impressive with those marble fireplaces.

The President's Office is on the right...

Craig

Comment

[/quote]

I most certainly hope it is not only saved, but preserved 'as is' on the top floor as well. The President's and Vice President's Offices are most impressive with those marble fireplaces.

The President's Office is on the right...

Craig

Comment

Craig, what a great photograph! Thanks for sharing! I was in the building probably 15 years ago, but I don't remember that detail.

I see that the national meet has some "tentative" time scheduled for tours of this building. I think this tour would be a "sellout"! I'd plan on going, for-sure.

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Craig, what a great photograph! Thanks for sharing! I was in the building probably 15 years ago, but I don't remember that detail.

I see that the national meet has some "tentative" time scheduled for tours of this building. I think this tour would be a "sellout"! I'd plan on going, for-sure.

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X