Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinnys Garage
    replied
    It's been a while since I've updated my '60 Marshal thread, but it's got more info about the car.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...arshal-Updates

As far as the "surviving condition" goes, it's in pretty tough shape. Milwaukee wasn't kind to it with a lot of rust............
    Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by mmagic View Post
    And, from the surviving condition it must have had as much use as Obama's $1.1 million busses.
    WHY oh WHY must we go there? I hate to see one of the most interesting threads here get locked because current politics has infiltrated into this topic!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• mmagic
    replied
    This reads like a special order for an extremely obese council man or department head in the city. From the axle ratio I would deduct it was more for personal use than official duty like tending parking meters. And, from the surviving condition it must have had as much use as Obama's $1.1 million busses.

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Welcome aboard. I hope you get as much out of this forum as I have already.
    Has anyone ever seen a Hawk Ploice Car? Probably look like the Batmobile????
    Good Roads
    Brian

Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Leave a comment:

• Skinnys Garage
    replied
    Thanks Dave, any leads would be great. I've narrowed down the type of lights and siren that will match the cars in the TW photo. I bid on a light today, but just didn't dig deep enough into the paypal fund and lost out. They show up for sale regularly, so I shouldn't have too much trouble coming up with something. I believe that a few models from Federal Signal will give me the look I'm after.

Skinny
    Watertown, SD

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Originally posted by Skinnys Garage
    ".... do the cars in the photo have the emergency lights (cherries) mounted on the roof? The holes are there on mine and I would love to find the original style light-siren setup if possible."

Our local police chief maintains this car. From Memorial Day:

[img][/img]

I can ask if he has a connection for the light!

Leave a comment:

• 50Champ
    replied
    quote:[i] Over the years I had a '50 Champion 2-door sedan (only 6 cylinder Stude I ever had!)
    I heard those '50 Champion 2 door sedans are real nice cars. Welcome to the Club....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    Thanks Craig! Just shows ya how much I know! [:I] I DO know that Studebaker should have been offering the general public any/every performance option they had for their new Larks, (including a Paxton). Yep, I know that initially they were more interested in marketing the car as an economical ride, but I still think they missed great sales opportunities. To test the waters, they could have put just a few together for the bigger dealers to put on their showroom floors, to bring in the lookers, like the "big 3" guys do. That's how they marketed the Mustang so successfully, show 'em the "big guns", sell 'em a 6 stick...

If we would have had R1, R2, R3 & R4 Larks starting in '59, just think how different automobile history would be. The "big 3" were already well into their own respective performance images. I'm positive that the light weight Larks, packin' a 275 horse motor, 4 speeds and TT rear ends would have been BIG hits. It would have been sooooo easy! Those features were basically just "off the shelf" items for Studebaker. Oh well.... [V]

Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Sonny
    That leaves some options as to your choice of light, skinny. Trippe, Dietz and Signal Stat all made the things, shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Also, a question for the historians... Didn't Studebaker put together a few Marshal prototypes and sent them out, all over the place for police departments to test? Then, when they were returned to Studebaker they sat by the engineering building for a long time before everybody just lost track of 'em.
    The Studebaker literature I've seen states they used Beacon Ray/Federal Signal lights. I believe those Marshals you are referring to were 1964 models and they made 30 of them.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    This '60 Lark Marshal stuff is REAL interesting! One observation... It looks like the "gum ball machines" were probably added at the police department garage. Look at the picture, two have a "lip stick" shape/profile and three have a much more squared off top shape. I'll bet they just went down to the local NAPA and ordered them. I'm sure that if Studebaker would have installed them they would have been identical. That leaves some options as to your choice of light, skinny. Trippe, Dietz and Signal Stat all made the things, shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Also, a question for the historians... Didn't Studebaker put together a few Marshal prototypes and sent them out, all over the place for police departments to test? Then, when they were returned to Studebaker they sat by the engineering building for a long time before everybody just lost track of 'em. Could these be those cars? It would make sense, instead of building more Marshals, paint what was already sitting around and sell the bunch to one police department. Just a thought...

Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Leave a comment:

• Skinnys Garage
    replied
    Jacob, I've got family in Clark too, next time your back look me up, I've always got time to talk Studebakers! Here's a link to my update post, I haven't done much with it yet, but some day.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=29636

Skinny
    Watertown, SD

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    Skinny, I always hoped someone would show up with an early Lark Marshal, and yours looks like a real honey of a car despite needing some TLC. Best of luck with it and keep us apprised of your progress!

BTW, I have relatives in Clark. Used to stop in Watertown pretty regularly, although it's been a few years since my last visit.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    I note that California is still using giant light assemblies on the roof of their marked cars. New York State went to a very low, flat light assembly on the roof of their dark blue Ford Interceptors (called Crown Victorias by some). I went to a parade on Saturday and the marked state police Interceptors leading the parade ,didn't have any roof light assembly, just lights in the grille, windshield, rear window, etc.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Studedude
    I am beginning to see/understand the problem! Buying from non Americans, and having non Americans build every thing we buy is the American thing to do, 'cause there is no such thing as... uh... I give up. Enjoy your Toyota/Honda/whatever!
    Oh yeah.....I forgot those Crown Vic's were made in CANADA!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    un-American.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

Working...
X