X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

3. It sure took them long enough to build it; it was specified almost three months before the final assembly day! Sales weren't that good in late spring 1960, so you wonder if the 289 engine held things up until they got some 289s on their way to the Lark line for the 1961 Cruiser? I wouldn't think so, but I'm trying to speculate as to why the long production delay.
    With all that special order equipment and color, I wonder if it was originally entered as a Quotation for the City of Milwakee first, and then underwent nearly three months of "budgetary approval" before the order got placed!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Interesting too that the front seat cushion is listed twice-items # 58 & 90!
    Hmm.....maybe THAT'S why it states to 'mount in the rear-most position'!![8D]

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Interesting too that the front seat cushion is listed twice-items # 58 & 90! Great info & may I add my welcome also! Thanks so much for sharing & adding to our knowledge. Makes me need to find the picture of my first car, also a 59 Lark.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Scott, I know it's a pain to look, but even though your production order doesn't specify a Twin Traction, what does your differential tag look like on that 44?

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    What a neat 60, Love that Lark

Leave a comment:

• Skinnys Garage
    replied
    Thanks again to everyone that's commented on my cars and garage. The pic with the '60s was taken a few years ago before I started "filling" in the spaces with "stuff" The pic with my '59 buried is that same part of the garage now. The other side out of frame has a bunch of cool stuff in it also including my brand X (second car I ever owned), a second TV and AC! I've got to go for now, but I'll try and post some more this evening.

Skinny
    Watertown, SD

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Welcome! I am envious of that clean garage. [^][8D]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Clean[?] Hell, I'd be ecstatic just to have a garage!

Oh yeah, and welcome! Is that dapper young fella on the trike you? I used to have one of those too! Wore it out completely!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    welcome to the forum and the club.

Were a different breed, especially us Lark lovers. [][:0][8D]

ChopStu

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1927...253197,00.html ChopStu Stew

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    "Neat" Production Order indeed.

While there are many interesting curiosities, I note four:

1. The car was tagged for a snowy climate (Milwaukee; we assume Wisconsin), but Twin Traction was not specified. That's odd.

2. The 3.07:1 axle would indicate high-speed road intentions, not necessarily city patrol. You do become curious as to the intended use!

3. It sure took them long enough to build it; it was specified almost three months before the final assembly day! Sales weren't that good in late spring 1960, so you wonder if the 289 engine held things up until they got some 289s on their way to the Lark line for the 1961 Cruiser? I wouldn't think so, but I'm trying to speculate as to why the long production delay.

4. In all honesty, I believe that is the first postwar, two-page Production Order I've seen. The P.O. for the Cambridge Grey / Red Leather-trimmed 1956 Golden Hawk my Dad sold new (S/N 6032356) is crammed all around the margins with notes it was so complicated, but they did fit it all on one page. By 1960, perhaps they figured they were making enough money they could afford a second sheet of paper for a given car, if necessary!

It is really great (and miraculous) that this car survives. A fleet order for such a car going to salty Milwaukee would seem to be a sure kiss of death, but this one dodged the bullet...er, salt truck...good!

Again, Scott; congrats on an interesting car and welcome aboard. BP

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    That is one interesting PO! Your codes are interesting, too. I have a 289 in my '60, too, but it is an early '62 version from a GT Hawk.
    I am fascinated by how they listed the 289 with the dual exhaust. Mine came with the power kit (dual exhaust w/4 barrell carb) and was simply listed as code 26: Power Kit. My dealer ordering chart only lists codes 17 through 80 for passenger cars only. Can't help with code 90. Studebaker Wheel will be able to, however, if he spots this. That's the first that I've seen an alternator on a 1960 PO. I bet your 4664 is a fleet deviation. I couldn't find it in any of my literature, though. I would love to have all those 1960 special code and number charts.
    Thanks for posting that historical purchase order. [^]
    Like BP said, we've been waiting 50 years to not just say, "could have been ordered with a 289 engine." We now have proof.
    Also proof of never say never with a Studebaker. [8D]

Leave a comment:

• ChampTrucking
    replied
    Neat! I wanna play Studebakers in your garage!!

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    Welcome! I am envious of that clean garage. [^][8D]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Leave a comment:

• whacker
    replied
    Hello from Sioux City, if you are ever in town, look me up!

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

I scanned the production order exactly as it came from the museum except for whiting out the VIN#. Any X-ing out or typed in print was all done at the factory. I wasn't completely surprised when I first saw the PO because nearly all of the things on the list are still on the car, but don't get me wrong, I was very happy!
    Thanks for posting that! Indeed, most interesting car! Can you reach the pedals with that seat mounted in the 'rearmost position'??[:0]

Craig

Leave a comment:

• R3 challenger
    replied
    Welcome to SDC! Love your Larks....that's a cool '60 289 2-door. I was with my dad in a Studebaker showroom on February 27, 1960, when he special-ordered a Colonial Red 1960 Lark Deluxe 2-door sedan. Only a few options: 259 V8, Power Kit (dual exhaust & 4-barrel), heater and HD springs. I still have all the original paperwork. If we had waited one month we could have ordered the newly-available 289. Darn.

Good luck, & hope to meet you sometime.

George

george krem

Leave a comment:

Working...
X