Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting the photo Craig! If you look really close to the second car you can see the outline of the spotlight in the down position, so I'm guessing that they all had spotlights. I contacted Richard about the photo and he sent me the info on the back of the pic with the file number for the Studebaker archives. It indicates that this is photo #3 in a series, so there my be more pics of these very cars. I'm going to contact Andy and see if he will check the file for me and have some prints made from the negatives. The holes for the light and antenna on my car are all in the exact position of the photo. Now I suppose I'll have to go through my wheel collection and find one that takes that amount of weight, so I can match the pic!!

Skinny
    Watertown, SD
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Here's additional information from Tom Beckman that was included in his original e-mail alerting me to this possibility. (Tom lives not too far from the subject location):

"The police station in that photo is on Vliet Street and is just east of the Wauwatosa/Milwaukee dividing line. This is about 3 miles from where I work.

I did the engineering on an addition to the building a while back, so I recognized the photo location. It is now known as the Radio Repair building."

Thanks again, Tom. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A friend of mine is a Deputy Sheriff and when he got his new Crown Vic a couple years ago it came with the special ordered police package, but no "jewelry". He had the option of installing all the lights, radios, graphics etc.(purchased from a patrol supply house by the department) himself or having the local service center for the cars do it. He's a car guy, so he did the install himself. I'm guessing that this is the way it's been done for years and that the cars didn't roll out the door with these parts installed. They may have had the spotlights installed by there service dept along with all the other cop car stuff and that could explain the missing spotlight on the build sheet. But maybe the deviation 4664 does indicate a fully "dressed" cop car. I'll keep digging for info. The only sad part of this saga is now my car isn't so special there are 4 more just like it!!!!!

Skinny
        Watertown, SD

Comment

It's unique because it survived. Cool piece with an interesting history.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

A friend of mine is a Deputy Sheriff and when he got his new Crown Vic a couple years ago it came with the special ordered police package, but no "jewelry". He had the option of installing all the lights, radios, graphics etc.(purchased from a patrol supply house by the department) himself or having the local service center for the cars do it. He's a car guy, so he did the install himself. I'm guessing that this is the way it's been done for years and that the cars didn't roll out the door with these parts installed. They may have had the spotlights installed by there service dept along with all the other cop car stuff and that could explain the missing spotlight on the build sheet. But maybe the deviation 4664 does indicate a fully "dressed" cop car. I'll keep digging for info. The only sad part of this saga is now my car isn't so special there are 4 more just like it!!!!!
            Don't feel bad!! CHP goes through approximately 800 new cop cars a year!! One of the stops for the Friday AM ASC tour at the 2003 International Meet was the CHP facilities at Sacremento. We got to see the prodution line where brand new Crown Vics got dressed with graphics, lights, push bars, etc.

Craig.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage:

The only sad part of this saga is now my car isn't so special there are 4 more just like it!!!!!

Well - there WERE 4 others. But you now, in all likelihood, own the only extant example. Take cheer in that!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard
              http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
              www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R3 challenger

Welcome to SDC! Love your Larks....that's a cool '60 289 2-door. I was with my dad in a Studebaker showroom on February 27, 1960, when he special-ordered a Colonial Red 1960 Lark Deluxe 2-door sedan. Only a few options: 259 V8, Power Kit (dual exhaust & 4-barrel), heater and HD springs. I still have all the original paperwork. If we had waited one month we could have ordered the newly-available 289. Darn.

Good luck, & hope to meet you sometime.

George

george krem
                I believe that for the 1961 model year Larks, the 289 was only optional on the Cruiser (for normal, retail delivery).

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage:

The only sad part of this saga is now my car isn't so special there are 4 more just like it!!!!!

Well - there WERE 4 others. But you now, in all likelihood, own the only extant example. Take cheer in that!
                  Even if a second, or a third one happened to surface, it would not be a bad thing at all. Two or more exactly identical cars parked next to each other at an SDC meet would draw more crowds than just one by itself, especially they're 'special order' cars that will most likely have sequential serial numbers!![^]

Craig

Comment

More information about this arrived today from Tom Beckman. Tom heard from Keith Kichefski. Here is what Keith adds to the discussion:

[mailto:keithk55@yahoo.com]
                    Subject: Skinny's Milwaukee Lark.

Hi, Tom. I never signed up for posting on the forum, but I thought I would chime in. As I recall, all uniform squads for the City of Milwaukee were white. The cars ordered for detective use were various colors throughout time.

This is still true today, although some uniform squads are being repainted to black and white to suit the new Police Chief. At one time on the Tracks Ahead TV show on PBS, they had a video segment of the Electroliner passenger train, in color. It showed one of the white Lark Milwaukee squads, rounding a corner in the background. I'm sure the video is on the net someplace.

Even though Skinny's Lark shows extra foam in the seat, I was told the officers assigned to the cars complained of back-aches. This probably lead to better seats starting in 1962.

The lack of Twin Traction doesn't surprise me. My 1964 Marshal didn't have TT either. It is my understanding, on an icy street, it could cause the car to spin out, if both wheels broke loose in a turn.

I was told by Jane Neustedter, the daughter of the owner (Eric Bonow) of Vliet Street Motors, that they sold the fleet order for those 1960 Larks to Milwaukee. In fact, the zone manager asked them, as a favor, to take two of the 1964 Marshal demo units. She reluctantly did, figuring they would be hard to sell. She said both sold quickly.

Mine was tagged for the State of Illinois. The sister car was tagged for the State of Wisconsin. The Wisconsin car was an oddball, as it had stick on the column. That was originally WI highway patrol grey with black. For what it's worth, the WI highway patrol continued to buy cars with stick on the column, up to 1967 Chevy Biscaynes with 427. The first automatic cars were 1968 Plymouths with 440.

As you know, Andy [Beckman; Tom's brother from the SNM] had tracked down the 1964 Larks, the city of Milwaukee tried out. As far as I know, Gerry Garske's Challenger is the only one of those to survive.

Here is the dealer's address:
                    Vliet Street Motors, Inc.
                    6127 West Vliet Street
                    Milwaukee (Wauwatosa) 13, Wisconsin
                    Ph. GLenview 3-6110

(s) Keith Kichefski

Thanks, Tom and Keith, for the additional info. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma

More information about this arrived today from Tom Beckman. Tom heard from Keith Kichefski. Here is what Keith adds to the discussion:

"... As I recall, all uniform squads for the City of Milwaukee were white. The cars ordered for detective use were various colors throughout time."

One thing is clear from that P.O. about color, it was originally green as it is today. This is a good one to sleuth. Where was this car's original destination in the city fleet, if those police cars were actually White Sand?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                        In fact, the zone manager asked them, as a favor, to take two of the 1964 Marshal demo units. She reluctantly did, figuring they would be hard to sell. She said both sold quickly.

The sister car was tagged for the State of Wisconsin. The Wisconsin car was an oddball, as it had stick on the column. That was originally WI highway patrol grey with black.
                        This car was at the International Meet in South Bend in 1983. It has the HD column shift was from Wisconsin at the time. This car also appeared to be a very light gray originally.

Craig

Comment

Keith is probably right on the color for Milwaukee's police cars being white. I looked very close at the PO where the X-ing is and it clearly shows it was originally ordered White Sand with Velvet Black on the next line without the wheels note. That could mean that my car is NOT in the photo unless the light green looks about the same in a black and white photo. I got an e-mail back from Richard at TW and he gave me the Studebaker archive file number for the cover photo. There is a possibility that there are more photo's of these cars as the cover shot was listed with a number 3 (possibly a series of pics). I e-mailed the number to Andy at the archives with hopes of purchasing a copy of one or more pics of these cars (even if mine's not one of them). Who knows maybe mine is the only green one (or 289 one)! I looked at the car today and the doors themselves do look like they were resprayed early in it's life. There is a faint over spray on an oil change sticker with 26600 miles, but no tell tail signs of any lettering. Thanks again for every ones input and help. I'll keep digging.

Skinny
                          Watertown, SD

Comment

I could be starting to see things with all this excitement, but in the old police photo, does the second to the last car behind the "Chief" look like the color is a little bit darker shade than the front three? Like I said, I'm probably seeing things, but if more photos surface it could help with the ID.

Skinny
                            Watertown, SD

Comment

Scott, I've seen Jonquil Yellow look like White Sand in black and white photographs, but I would think Hawaiian Green would be more light gray than that TW print looks. That's without seeing the factory photo in person, though. I've spent more than a few hours staring at B&W negs and prints over the years under an enlarger and in the fix, but those police cars look like White Sand to me.
                              Your car sure had a ton of heavy duty options added to be a common city car, or something seemingly light duty. I'm sure county and city officials & workers probably had radios, etc., to necessitate the alternator. It could have been an unmarked detective's car..who knows. The repainted doors could have been to cover the "police." I hope yours is one of those in the TW picture, or at least one of the versions you may soon receive.
                              It's still cool as heck, whatever it may have been.

Comment

Thanks Dave, Your convert is pretty darn cool in my book too. If my convert would have been as nice as my Marshal, I probably would have done something similar to yours, but it needed everything including outer frame rails. My convert leaves early next week, so I can get the Marshal back in the main garage and refresh my memory on what it needs. I plan on shopping for parts at Cedar Rapids and order some stuff from SASCO while I still can! I hope that situation resolves itself in a good way. The holes in the roof of my Marshal line up with the "cherry" and antenna on the cars in the old photo, so I don't think it was to sneaky of an unmarked car unless something else was mounted to the roof.
                                On a different note, I've got to let everyone know that I wish Ted a speedy recovery. I've been drag racing for about 30 years on and off myself and I am very aware of what Ted has done in the Studebaker community and for Studebaker performance junkies. While I chose to use my brand X (460 Torino) for my drag racing fun at the track, my old 4bl 259 with a 3.31 TT humbled many a brand X back in the '80s at the stoplights (that was legal way back then right?) Anyway I hope to meet some of you at Cedar Rapids and check out your cars in person. I made it to the Redwing and Omaha international meets and had a great time. Maybe I'll have a car ready for South Bend in a few years.

Skinny
                                Watertown, SD

Comment

Working...
                                X