No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Interesting too that the front seat cushion is listed twice-items # 58 & 90!
    Hmm.....maybe THAT'S why it states to 'mount in the rear-most position'!![8D]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

3. It sure took them long enough to build it; it was specified almost three months before the final assembly day! Sales weren't that good in late spring 1960, so you wonder if the 289 engine held things up until they got some 289s on their way to the Lark line for the 1961 Cruiser? I wouldn't think so, but I'm trying to speculate as to why the long production delay.
      With all that special order equipment and color, I wonder if it was originally entered as a Quotation for the City of Milwakee first, and then underwent nearly three months of "budgetary approval" before the order got placed!!

Craig

Comment

I will throw my hat in as an avid Lark lover! Love that Marshall!! Like BP mentioned, it looks like it might have been used for "pursuit" use!! Fun fun! Welcome!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Now that the salt is off the roads, she is getting back into regular rotation!

Comment

"Hello everyone, after about 30 years of dragging my feet, I finally joined the SDC."[:0]

Well Skinny, you've gone thru a BUNCH of shoes, or you've got some bodacious callouses on your feet! Either way, welcome to the fold. Cool cars![8D]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

BINGO, SCOTT! If you had been an SDC member three years ago, you would have seen your car as one of the five 1960 Lark Police cars, lined up for their official Milwaukee presentation, shown inside the back cover of the March 2006 Turning Wheels!

Yep, take a look: By every specification we can see in that period black & white photo, yours was undoubtedly one of those cars. The colors look light (Hawaiian Green would photograph light in B&W), black wheels, front & rear bumper guards, etc. Check it out.

(With thanks to Forum Lurker Tom Beckman, Studebaker National Museum Andy Beckman's older brother. Tom sent me a PM, saying he "thought he remembered a photo of those cars in a Turning Wheels article," and I was able to find it.) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Now, that's cool.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the March '06 TW photo! If I remember right, I remember seeing that photo and thought that's probably what my car looked like back in the day. What I didn't know then was that my car was from Milwaukee, so I didn't make the connection. I need to get that issue or a copy of the original photo - if my car IS in the shot how cool would that be![] I'll need to move a few thing this weekend and check out the tags on the 44. I know I checked it once and I don't believe it has a TT, but the older I get the more my memory gets clogged up with "useless" information, so I can't remember for sure. By the way, I was asked if that was me on the trike next to my Lark and the answer is yes. That seat position note on the production order is kinda funny, I guess they didn't trust the dealership to handle it! Anyway thanks again to everyone for all the posts. Maybe I'll have to snap a picture of my Offy equipped (intake and valve covers) '63 full flow 289 that's going in my '59. I was wondering how well an R1 cam would work with a stock '59-'60 torque converter. If I can get a little lope out of it without chugging at the stoplights, I might put one in.

Skinny
                Watertown, SD
                Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage
                  I need to get that issue or a copy of the original photo - if my car IS in the shot how cool would that be![]
                  I believe Richard Quinn can help you out with obtaining a copy from the original negative. And he may have more from the Milwaukee PD Studebakers in his archives.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, I'll send him an e-mail - can't hurt to ask. Bob, do the cars in the photo have the emergency lights (cherries) mounted on the roof? The holes are there on mine and I would love to find the original style light-siren setup if possible.

Skinny
                    Watertown, SD
                    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

Bob, do the cars in the photo have the emergency lights (cherries) mounted on the roof? The holes are there on mine and I would love to find the original style light-siren setup if possible.

Skinny
                      Watertown, SD
                      Yes; the picture is excellent. It shows the huge sirens on the RF fenders and bubble gum machines in the center of the roofs. (Five seemingly identical cars lined up for a group photo.)

As Craig said, I'm sure Dick Quinn will be able to sell you a copy of the print. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BINGO, SCOTT! If you had been an SDC member three years ago, you would have seen your car as one of the five 1960 Lark Police cars, lined up for their official Milwaukee presentation, shown inside the back cover of the March 2006 Turning Wheels!

Yep, take a look: By every specification we can see in that period black & white photo, yours was undoubtedly one of those cars. The colors look light (Hawaiian Green would photograph light in B&W), black wheels, front & rear bumper guards, etc. Check it out.
                        Okay Bob, you got my interest up enough to go and look for my March 2006 TW. At that, I may as well scan it and post it here. After staring at this picture, it appears only the nearest and MAYBE the rearmost car has a spotlight mounted on it. And I see Scott's car still has a spotlight mounted in the exact same location as the foreground car!![:0]

Craig

Comment

There's an interesting element of tire technology to be seen on that first car, Craig. Tire manufacturing has become so precise that tires today almost never need as large a balance weight as can be seen on the RR of that car.

Even the cheapest of today's tires rarely need more than an ounce, maybe an ounce and a half. But that weight on the subject car looks to be every bit of 2.5 ounces, and that's the weight we can see on this side of the wheel! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks, Craig, mine are buried in plastic containers in the basement. What a great shot and how great that this car is still around....and with a, FINALLY, SDC and new Forum member. [8D][8D][8D]

Comment

Well, Craig; I wonder about the spotlight issue. The Prodction Order for Scott's car does not specify a spotlight. (AC2918 is a Stratoline Exterior Rear-View Mirror; the only item not described on the P.O.)

So Scott's car may be one of the three cars without a spotlight and it was added later, or it may have been built with the car and not specified on the Production Order. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Well, Craig; I wonder about the spotlight issue. The Prodction Order for Scott's car does not specify a spotlight. (AC2918 is a Stratoline Exterior Rear-View Mirror; the only item not described on the P.O.)

So Scott's car may be one of the three cars without a spotlight and it was added later, or it may have been built with the car and not specified on the Production Order. BP
                                I wonder if "Refer to Deviation 4664 on Special Equipment" can be located. Perhaps the spotlight and the siren is that 'special equipment'.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X