This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 vrs 64 Avanti

Which car is more collectable, 63 or 64 R2 Avanti in the same condition, if a difference why?

Square headlight "real" 64's are worth more because of the fewer numbers built and improvements.

JDP
    Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net
    http://stude.com
    My Ebay Items
    http://www.stude.com/EBAY/

64 GT hawk
    64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Square headlight "real" 64's are worth more because of the fewer numbers built and improvements.

JDP
      Arnold Md.
      Studebaker On The Net
      http://stude.com
      My Ebay Items
      http://www.stude.com/EBAY/

64 GT hawk
      64 Commander 2 dr.
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'll agree with JDP, however, some think the 63 is closer to Lowey's original "vision". Personally, I like the round headlights and the lack of the (obviously) fake wood on the instrument cluster and console.
        Mechanically, there isn't much difference in the cars, but if you want a 63, you might want a later one as many of the changes and fixes were progressivly introduced during the cars production run...rather than just waiting for the 64s. Also many cars have been updated through the years. My car was made in late January of 63, yet has rain gutters which the history tells me were introduced a couple of months later.

If you haven't seen them, I'll suggest a useful few web sites.
        The Avanti Owners Association:
        http://www.aoai.org/

And a pair of private sites...

For a good history of all things having to do with the car (concept, ads, contempoary road tests, survivors registry) including a timeline of running production changes:
        http://www.theavanti.com/
        Here's a link to the production chganges page:
        http://www.theavanti.com/running_changes.htm

And for a site with photos, a price guide and history:
        http://www.avantisource.com/

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I'll agree with JDP, however, some think the 63 is closer to Lowey's original "vision". Personally, I like the round headlights and the lack of the (obviously) fake wood on the instrument cluster and console.
          Mechanically, there isn't much difference in the cars, but if you want a 63, you might want a later one as many of the changes and fixes were progressivly introduced during the cars production run...rather than just waiting for the 64s. Also many cars have been updated through the years. My car was made in late January of 63, yet has rain gutters which the history tells me were introduced a couple of months later.

If you haven't seen them, I'll suggest a useful few web sites.
          The Avanti Owners Association:
          http://www.aoai.org/

And a pair of private sites...

For a good history of all things having to do with the car (concept, ads, contempoary road tests, survivors registry) including a timeline of running production changes:
          http://www.theavanti.com/
          Here's a link to the production chganges page:
          http://www.theavanti.com/running_changes.htm

And for a site with photos, a price guide and history:
          http://www.avantisource.com/

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My '64 is serial number 5400, placing it less than 300 from the end. It has the desirable upgrades including the rain gutters and the thick padded seats. Of more concern to me would be the condition of the frame and of the hog troughs. If you have rot there you will quickly be upside down.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

My '64 is serial number 5400, placing it less than 300 from the end. It has the desirable upgrades including the rain gutters and the thick padded seats. Of more concern to me would be the condition of the frame and of the hog troughs. If you have rot there you will quickly be upside down.

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lube_salesWhich car is more collectable, 63 or 64 R2 Avanti in the same condition, if a difference why?
                I searched for and bought the 63 R3 because it looked better to me and was more "retro." No accounting for taste, but this hopefully will provide the "rush" to sustain me through years of restoration.
                On another note, as part of my pre-purchase research I collected about 20 sales/non-sales of Studebaker Avantis. For reasons I do not understand, I have continued it, with about 50 records. I do not see a selling-price differential between 63 and 64. All other things being equal, the variation is well within statistical noise of the sample I have.
                (Which is a weasely way of saying that if you collect sales data on Studebaker Avantis, over a different span of time, you may come to a different but equally valid result. I will happily compare statistics with anyone with detail records of 50 or more individual sales. Statistics only get better when the sample size grows.)

Terry, North Texas
                1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
                (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
                http://sterkel.org/avanti
                1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
                2000 VW Jetta GLS
                1999 Toyota rice burner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lube_salesWhich car is more collectable, 63 or 64 R2 Avanti in the same condition, if a difference why?
                  I searched for and bought the 63 R3 because it looked better to me and was more "retro." No accounting for taste, but this hopefully will provide the "rush" to sustain me through years of restoration.
                  On another note, as part of my pre-purchase research I collected about 20 sales/non-sales of Studebaker Avantis. For reasons I do not understand, I have continued it, with about 50 records. I do not see a selling-price differential between 63 and 64. All other things being equal, the variation is well within statistical noise of the sample I have.
                  (Which is a weasely way of saying that if you collect sales data on Studebaker Avantis, over a different span of time, you may come to a different but equally valid result. I will happily compare statistics with anyone with detail records of 50 or more individual sales. Statistics only get better when the sample size grows.)

Terry, North Texas
                  1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
                  (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
                  http://sterkel.org/avanti
                  1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
                  2000 VW Jetta GLS
                  1999 Toyota rice burner

Comment

Terry,

I suspect that you sample was obtained from "public" records, i.e. e-bay sales or other auction formats. Mine was a private sale, I saw it advertised and struck a deal with the owner. I wonder if there is a price differential between the open market (i.e. private) sales and those on e-bay?

Gary

Comment

Terry,

I suspect that you sample was obtained from "public" records, i.e. e-bay sales or other auction formats. Mine was a private sale, I saw it advertised and struck a deal with the owner. I wonder if there is a price differential between the open market (i.e. private) sales and those on e-bay?

Gary

Comment

Some numbers:
                        4,463 Stude Avanti's, ('63 & '64)
                        809 '64 Avanti's, (756 w/square headlights)

1,558 R2 Avanti's, ('63 & '64)
                        281 '64 R2 Avanti's

Although prices are about the same for '63 and '64 at present, I expect the '64's to be more valuable in the future because of their rarity.
                        Slightly different production numbers are out there. Unsold '63 cars were sold as '64's, with the factory's blessing, at the end of the '63 model year. After the production line closed, several "EX" engineering cars were converted to production spec, assigned production serial #s, and sold.
                        My vote for most collectable,(aside from a real R3), would be a '64 R2, four speed. Factory AM/FM radio and tilt wheel are rare and very desirable options, available only in '64. I personally think power windows are trouble. Stude made no R2's with air conditioning.
                        Mike M.

Comment

Some numbers:
                          4,463 Stude Avanti's, ('63 & '64)
                          809 '64 Avanti's, (756 w/square headlights)

1,558 R2 Avanti's, ('63 & '64)
                          281 '64 R2 Avanti's

Although prices are about the same for '63 and '64 at present, I expect the '64's to be more valuable in the future because of their rarity.
                          Slightly different production numbers are out there. Unsold '63 cars were sold as '64's, with the factory's blessing, at the end of the '63 model year. After the production line closed, several "EX" engineering cars were converted to production spec, assigned production serial #s, and sold.
                          My vote for most collectable,(aside from a real R3), would be a '64 R2, four speed. Factory AM/FM radio and tilt wheel are rare and very desirable options, available only in '64. I personally think power windows are trouble. Stude made no R2's with air conditioning.
                          Mike M.

Comment

Wow Guys, Thanks Very much for all this great data and opinion. It has helped and just solidifyed my thoughts.
                            Merry Christmas

Comment

Wow Guys, Thanks Very much for all this great data and opinion. It has helped and just solidifyed my thoughts.
                              Merry Christmas

Comment

Working...
                              X