Avanti values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti values

I've noticed Avanti's values are heading up for no particular reason on ebay lately, going well over reserve. This is a nice car, but the seats are not stock and yet it's going way over the reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...lenotsupported

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

With a blower, AM/FM radio, and tilt steering column, who has time to look at the seats?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That looks like a great car and a rare '64, the AM & FM and Tilt is rarer still and R5409 is quite late. The seats look close to correctly re-done the only thing that jumps out at me is the pleats are a bit overstuffed.

It appears to have an after market MSD type Electronic Ignition system, it does not look like the Studebaker Prestolite Unit that was Standard on R3 and optional on R Series, if not all V-8's, I call that an improvement. [^]

Time will tell if it's in Great enough demand to sell for $28,000.00 or more though.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

JP,

By seats not being stock, I guess you mean the vinyl coverings as they don't look stock to me but are nicely done. It appears to me the head liner looks different that stock unless a late model was done this way. I think a clean R2 with tilt and AM/FM (rare/late model) may be the reason or maybe someone just really wants it.

JP, you sell a lot of cars, here's a question on Avanti values for you if you please. If someone nicely restores an Avanti but modifies it with supercharger & AC, safe high back seats and shoulder belts, 4 wheel disc brakes, electronic ignition, and Tremec 5 speed does that Avanti because of safety and performance improvements bring more value than one that is just restored to its original condition?

I apologize if I open a can of worms here but I am curious.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

JP,

By seats not being stock, I guess you mean the vinyl coverings as they don't look stock to me but are nicely done. It appears to me the head liner looks different that stock unless a late model was done this way. I think a clean R2 with tilt and AM/FM (rare/late model) may be the reason or maybe someone just really wants it.

JP, you sell a lot of cars, here's a question on Avanti values for you if you please. If someone nicely restores an Avanti but modifies it with supercharger & AC, safe high back seats and shoulder belts, 4 wheel disc brakes, electronic ignition, and Tremec 5 speed does that Avanti because of safety and performance improvements bring more value than one that is just restored to its original condition?

sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

okc63avanti-

My $.02 is that an Avanti with the mods you listed would definitely be a marketable car.

Would I take an original R2, modify it and expect it to bring stock value -no.

Would a modified R1 bring stock value -yes, I believe so.

I've been paying attention to modified Avanti sales over the last few years because I'm doing quite a bit of modification to my '63.

In the end, all you need is one buyer. Just keep the mods tasteful and you'll be fine

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

JP,

Nope, it will hurt badly. If you want those items, buy a Avanti II.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

And if this Avanti R2 was a four speed it would sell for more, less or the same?

Comment

Once it is modified to that extent, you just have to find the one buyer that likes the same combination, wants to buy it, has the money, etc., all at the same time.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa

And if this Avanti R2 was a four speed it would sell for more, less or the same?
                    4 speeds bring a premium over the Powershift.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Hmmm... AFAIK, Avanti II's didn't come with superchargers and 5-speeds.

I don't think anyone would have a hard time selling a '63/'64 Avanti with those mods. Superchargers, air conditioning, 4-wheel discs and overdrive are definitely A-okay in my book!!

Lots of people these days want classic style coupled with modern conveniences, safety, and reliability.

And these people typically have more and are willing to spend more for just such a car.

Granted a perfectly restored stock R1 Avanti would bring good money, but it's nothing like the kind of money some "modernized" cars bring when done properly.

Just my opinion.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

Hmmm... AFAIK, Avanti II's didn't come with superchargers and 5-speeds.

I don't think anyone would have a hard time selling a '63/'64 Avanti with those mods. Superchargers, air conditioning, 4-wheel discs and overdrive are definitely A-okay in my book!!

Lots of people these days want classic style coupled with modern conveniences, safety, and reliability.

And these people typically have more and are willing to spend more for just such a car.

Granted a perfectly restored stock R1 Avanti would bring good money, but it's nothing like the kind of money some "modernized" cars bring when done properly.

Just my opinion.

I would agree with Will. Tastefully modified Studebakers generally sell for more than pure stock ones. I sell VERY few Studebakers to long time Studebaker purists (even pure stock Studebakers). Far more to folks with an interest in ALL cars. In addition, the hot rod/custom crowd is FAR bigger than the Studebaker crowd.

IMHO, the mods outlined by OKC63Avanti would add to the number of potential buyers and add to the value of the car.

The exception would be the high back seats. Again, MHO, they would look out of place in the car and turn off both purists and non purists. Same with things like cutting up the dash to put in a modern stereo (if you have to have one, hide it), big wheels and rubber band tires, etc.

Quite frankly, even a well done SBC engine transplant (especially an LSx) would ADD to the number of potential buyers. Right or wrong, many are afraid of the 50 year old Studebaker engine.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have to agree with JDP,
                          if you want modifications, go with an Avanti II

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fstst56

I have to agree with JDP,
                            if you want modifications, go with an Avanti II
                            I agree...when I decided to jump back into the Avanti market after selling my R1 years ago, I went with an Avanti II just for that reason. Since all Avanti II's were more or less custom ordered and built cars, I could change anything and it really wouldn't affect the value too much, as long as it was done in good taste. More modern conveniences...CD player built in, newer engine, fuel injection, colors, carpets, etc., all were done to to suit me, not some point system for originality.

If I had bought another Stude, I know myself well enough to know I would have wanted it as original as possible and just didn't want to go that way this time.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

My experience has been that modifications not easily undone have hurt the values on my Studebaker Avanti sales. With a Avanti II's it's not a problem. For example I sold a Avanti II with AC and a added supercharger for well over market.

JDP/Maryland
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X