No announcement yet.

The 1999 Packard Goes on sale May 26, !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1999 Packard Goes on sale May 26, !

A new press release say's that the V-12, all-aluminum overhead valve, fuel injected with a racing heritage, 525 c.i.d. 573 HP and 593 Ft. LB. torque on dyno Powered, 1999 Packard will go on sale May 26, on ebay!

Hey that IS my Birthday, anybody up for a much appreciated B-Day Gift? [)]

Here is the Website link for the 1999 Packard which we have heard about before, the Co. had planned a Sport Coupe and a Convertible in addition to the Sedan, but apparently that did not work, ...surprise!

This appears to be for real, no joke.

http://www.packardmotorcar.com/index.html

NEWS RELEASE
    The Packard Twelve Concept automobile will be offered for sale on eBay starting
    May 26th, 2009.
    This one-of-a-kind automobile is offered for sale by Packard Motor Car Company, owner of the Packard trademark for automobiles and parts.
    This is the only true Packard automobile produced since 1956, on its own Packard-designed and built frame and chassis, body, and suspension components. It has a modern aluminum V-12 engine, full time all wheel drive, and aluminum body and chassis.(Inserted from Specs.
    The structure is extremely robust, with heat treated extruded aluminum main frame rails/door sills, door header rails, and A, B and C columns, and heavy extruded windshield and rear window headers, and yet the complete dry weight of the automobile is only 3750 lb.(end Insert)
    This fine automobile may be viewed at www.packardmotorcar.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Already a thread going with pic's on the Stovehuggers forum

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=29288
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ugh, what a DOG. They would have been better off seeking styling cues from the 30s rather than the 50s. I think the 50s styling was one of the reasons they went belly up.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Already a thread going with pic's on the Stovehuggers forum
        Yeah, I guess now that I think about it, a 1954 to 1958 Packard IS a Studebaker/Packard Product, however a 1999 might be a bit of a stretch!

On the other hand, who reads that non-Studebaker stuff, not me!
        StudeRich

Comment

It t'was just an FYI
          I didn't take it as a Stude/non-Stude thing at all.
          (You miss sooo much staying in your own room Rich[]).
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
          Yeah, I guess now that I think about it, a 1954 to 1958 Packard IS a Studebaker/Packard Product, however a 1999 might be a bit of a stretch!
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

He couldn't get a Bail-Out????

Ebon...

"I sweat alot to keep others cool"

Comment

Are you serious?? I don't get what that proves, bragging about not being involved with the rest of us... some kind of macho thing, I'm guessing??[|)]

Like Jeff said, you're missing out on so much... hope that "cool" feeling is worth it to you![8D][)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Are you serious?? I don't get what that proves, bragging about not being involved with the rest of us... some kind of macho thing, I'm guessing??[|)]
                Not at all Bob, it's a Studebaker thing! If you have the time to peruse the Studebaker Specific, the Technical, the Stove Huggers, the Racing Studebakers Site, and the Studebaker Truck Site, all the more power to ya!

But I am not skimmer who can actually quickly scan all that stuff for the highlights or a speed reader, I read every word of every post of the topics of interest to me, to understand where the poster is coming from, so there is no way, I can read all the tools and techniques and other Auto related things over there that I would like to, the GM/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota chit chat, is of no interest!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich

Comment

Glad I looked quite some time before dinner.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

With their QUESTION Dave, with their question! If I knew that, maybe I would know what I am doing next!
                    StudeRich

Comment

I thought the last true Packards made were in 1958 ?? At any rate, it looks like my Hawk look that much pertier...

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Did anyone look at the chassis pictures of the 1999 Packard? BOTH the front and rear suspensions are independent and sprung by a single leaf spring running across the car as in the rear suspension set up in the newer Corvettes or as in the 1949 Studebaker's front suspension. So, I might guess the ride won't be like the '55, '56 Packards with torsion bar self leveling ride.

JimsLeadCommander
                        JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Looks like a bloated Ford Taurus. Not appealing to me at all.

Comment

A new press release say's that the V-12, all-aluminum overhead valve, fuel injected with a racing heritage, 525 c.i.d. 573 HP and 593 Ft. LB. torque on dyno Powered, 1999 Packard will go on sale May 26, on ebay!

Hey that IS my Birthday, anybody up for a much appreciated B-Day Gift? [)]
                            Happy Birthday is all i can afford. be interesting to see what this one will bring. Ugly or not is by individual opinion of course. But as a one off it should bring some chaching.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by bonehead007

I thought the last true Packards made were in 1958 ?? At any rate, it looks like my Hawk look that much pertier...

The last "true" (Non-Studebaker body based) Packards were completed on Monday June 25 1956. After that the Conner Avenue plant was closed and all car production moved to South Bend which in any case, couldn't build a car as wide as a Packard due to the narrowness of the SB production line.

They did the best with what they had, and had sales picked up in the latter years Packard Production would likely have restarted of course this never happened. Packard sales were 75,000 to Studebaker sales of 350,000 (Packard A History. . . .Kimes pg 616).

The corporation was run by Curtiss-Wright and lost $95 million during the first half of 1956, Roy Hurley trimmed its net worth from $119 million to $23 million, basically keeping the defense business for C-W and the rest was left with SP which began a diversification program that kept the company in business post the 1966 end of car production.

Bob Palma may have a different opinion, but I agree with the remarks on page 618 "Let the Fifty-Fifth and Fifty-Sixth Series Packards be James Nance's memorial.

John Clements
                              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                              Lockleys South Australia
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/3188334...58071811/show/
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X