This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Golden Hawk

This eBay vendor got it a little wrong on the 0-60 times on the Golden Hawk. Studebaker did advertise the 0-60 time, but I can't find that ad. I think it was 9.8 seconds, but I am not sure.

Studebaker claimed in its advertising the Hawk would 0 to 60 mph. in 17.7 seconds!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-...QQcmdZViewItem

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

I have a book with copies of old road tests. According to it, a '56 GH did 0-60 in 9.6 seconds and a '57 GH did it in 9.0 seconds. Both cars had an automatic transmission. I'm sure individual cars or drivers could make several tenths of a second difference, but 17.7??? I believe that 17.7 figure was for a flat head 6 Lark. My book showed a flat head 6 Lark at 17.9 and an OVH 6 at 14.0 seconds for 0-60. I can just see raising the hood of a Golden Hawk to show off your shiny new flat head 6. Now that would put the fear into anyone who wanted to race!

Comment

I have a book with copies of old road tests. According to it, a '56 GH did 0-60 in 9.6 seconds and a '57 GH did it in 9.0 seconds. Both cars had an automatic transmission. I'm sure individual cars or drivers could make several tenths of a second difference, but 17.7??? I believe that 17.7 figure was for a flat head 6 Lark. My book showed a flat head 6 Lark at 17.9 and an OVH 6 at 14.0 seconds for 0-60. I can just see raising the hood of a Golden Hawk to show off your shiny new flat head 6. Now that would put the fear into anyone who wanted to race!

Comment

Sounds like a quarter mile time that would go with the mid 9's 0-60 time.

It's somewhat "dating" to think we look at cars like the Golden Hawk as FAST, but many 4 cylinder econo-boxes of today will post similar times. [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sounds like a quarter mile time that would go with the mid 9's 0-60 time.

It's somewhat "dating" to think we look at cars like the Golden Hawk as FAST, but many 4 cylinder econo-boxes of today will post similar times. [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:It's somewhat "dating" to think we look at cars like the Golden Hawk as FAST, but many 4 cylinder econo-boxes of today will post similar times.
            Sad, but true. I was behind a 66 GTO convertible at a stop light last summer and next to him at the light in the other lane was a Porsche Boxster ( not an econobox, but not the fastest Porsche, either). Both had their tops down, and I knew that it was going to be a race. Sure enough, when the light changed they both took off. The GTO was loud, bouncing up and down and twisting and squeeling tires at shifts, but it couldn't keep up with the Porsche which was just quiet and fast.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:It's somewhat "dating" to think we look at cars like the Golden Hawk as FAST, but many 4 cylinder econo-boxes of today will post similar times.
              Sad, but true. I was behind a 66 GTO convertible at a stop light last summer and next to him at the light in the other lane was a Porsche Boxster ( not an econobox, but not the fastest Porsche, either). Both had their tops down, and I knew that it was going to be a race. Sure enough, when the light changed they both took off. The GTO was loud, bouncing up and down and twisting and squeeling tires at shifts, but it couldn't keep up with the Porsche which was just quiet and fast.

Comment

I found the ad that gives the times. The 17.7 seconds is the 60 to 100 time, which also seems a little slow. I also found a Quaker State ad. I wonder if anyone ever noticed the the woman was in a Golden Hawk?

Comment

I found the ad that gives the times. The 17.7 seconds is the 60 to 100 time, which also seems a little slow. I also found a Quaker State ad. I wonder if anyone ever noticed the the woman was in a Golden Hawk?

Comment

Yep, engines today do crank out a lot more horsepower than in the "good old days". These days, one hp per cubic inch is very commonplace where way back when it was the goal of every hot rodder. Now days, a 500cc motorcycle is as fast or faster than the 1000cc "superbikes" were in the mid-late 70's. Like it or not, that's progress and we're working with the limitations imposed by 50-70 year old engine designs. On top of that, cars today have 4-6 gears where the oldies had 3-4. Combine that with lighter weight and it's pretty obvious we'd better stick with cruisin' because acceleration is out of our league. Unless you want to spend a small fortune that is.

Comment

Yep, engines today do crank out a lot more horsepower than in the "good old days". These days, one hp per cubic inch is very commonplace where way back when it was the goal of every hot rodder. Now days, a 500cc motorcycle is as fast or faster than the 1000cc "superbikes" were in the mid-late 70's. Like it or not, that's progress and we're working with the limitations imposed by 50-70 year old engine designs. On top of that, cars today have 4-6 gears where the oldies had 3-4. Combine that with lighter weight and it's pretty obvious we'd better stick with cruisin' because acceleration is out of our league. Unless you want to spend a small fortune that is.

Comment

Dont want to steal a thread but looking at 0-60 speeds put me to wondering what a stude would do with todays computerized fuel injection systems.Has anyone ever attemped to try this on a stude 289?

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Dont want to steal a thread but looking at 0-60 speeds put me to wondering what a stude would do with todays computerized fuel injection systems.Has anyone ever attemped to try this on a stude 289?

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

wondering what a stude would do with todays computerized fuel injection systems.
                            IMHO, ONLY the addition of a computerized (Port type) fuel injection system wouldn't do much for 0-60. You'd have a better running engine (and cleaner running), but I can't see it any faster than the right 4 bbl jetted correctly.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

wondering what a stude would do with todays computerized fuel injection systems.
                              IMHO, ONLY the addition of a computerized (Port type) fuel injection system wouldn't do much for 0-60. You'd have a better running engine (and cleaner running), but I can't see it any faster than the right 4 bbl jetted correctly.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X