Missing money, found Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing money, found Studebaker

I was catching up my checkbook register today when I realized that a deposit slip receipt was stamped irregularly so that the amount of the deposit wasn't printed. Had to run an errand that took me within a few blocks of the bank, so decided to just drop by and have them look up the amount. Got that errand done and had pulled out of the parking lot onto the street when WHAM BAM a Hawk turned onto that same street headed the other way. I tried to make a friendly wave to him, but wasn't sure he saw it. Made one heck of a u-turn to get to going the same direction and just barely had it in my view about 4 or 5 blocks away. Saw him turn, so I turned where I thought he had. Wrong street. Went down a whole block and then turned so I went down the next street. Figured I had lost him, though. Went slowly down that block and there it was, inside of a garage. whew! Got out and rang the doorbell and introduced myself as the crazy guy who was waving and he said he saw me. Started the Stude conversation and had a great 15 minute time. A 1957 Silver Hawk, 289, factory leather, 3 speed with OD, 7.50x15 tires, and on and on. A really nice car. Not restored, just maintained. He needs the doors and trunk worked on and that's about it. Black with off-white fin inserts. He bought it 5 years ago from a man in Sweetwater, Texas who had the original bill of sale from Ball and Ball Motors in Cisco, Texas in March, 1957. For those of you unfamiliar with Texas, Sweetwater is town and Cisco ain't. Can't believe Cisco actually had a dealer in it. My dad went to junior college there. wow. Oh, and that is where Hilton's first hotel property is. Sure is a nice car. He doesn't care to join the local or national club, though. Maybe someday, I got his name.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Nice catch!
    I am sorry, but I can not believe the "...1957 Silver Hawk...factory leather..." part. 1957 Golden Hawk 400s had factory leather. I can not imagine a Silver Hawk with factory leather. I would have to see the build sheet. It is probably either a re-done interior or the interior is vinyl.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"Missing Money. Found Studebaker."

Funny, that normally happens in the reverse order...

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Nice catch!
        I am sorry, but I can not believe the "...1957 Silver Hawk...factory leather..." part. 1957 Golden Hawk 400s had factory leather. I can not imagine a Silver Hawk with factory leather. I would have to see the build sheet. It is probably either a re-done interior or the interior is vinyl.
        Oh, I don't know, Gary. Studebaker was after all, the Burger King of car companies (LOL).

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Bob, My name is Dean Pearson And I am allways going through the stude forum. Was thrilled to see mention of sweetwater Tx. and Cisco. I grew up in Abilene and am very familiar with all these little towns. Currently I live in Murrieta Ca. but have extensive family in Cisco,Ranger and Eastland My grandparents lived in Buffalo Gap Tx. ever been there?
          What town do you actually live in?

Comment

Gary, you guys know more than I about these things. The owner had the original bill of sale (not production order) which listed all the features. The upholstry line read something really close to "leather/vinyl seats". The owner did not offer to open the door so I didn't see/touch the seats. I told him how to get the PO and he seemed like he would do that. I'm going to try to remember to invite him to a meeting of some sort, so maybe I can touch the insides someday.

Dean, I live in Lubbock. Been to Sweetwater a lot of times, Cisco a few times, go through Ranger and Eastland any time I go toward East Texas, and have heard of Buffalo Gap but can't swear I have actually been there. My dad went to Cisco Junior College before WWII, so I hear stories about it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dean pearson
              but have extensive family in Cisco,Ranger and Eastland My grandparents lived in Buffalo Gap Tx. ever been there?
              What town do you actually live in?
              I lived in Abilene between 1997 and 2004, as both a memeber of the Air Force, and for a few years after retiring.

Great people and a fine place to live. As I neared AF retirement, I got into old cars with Jeeps and my Bearcat. A good friend, retired AF, did my Jeep and helped me with the Bearcat. A guy can get most antique car stuff done there for very reasonable money. Sadly, it's not much of a "car town" (..not many shows) though a local radio station does sponser a fine cruise night every year.

Yes, I know where Buffalo Gap is...it was 16 miles south of my house.
              I drove the Bearcat there a couple of times...one memorable drive was the Sunday after 9/11/2001. It was good to see the country, get some fresh air and relax a bit after that terrible week.
              I had a Coke at the gas station-convenience store that had a real Buffalo out front.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Texas has some cool names for their little towns. MA1951 and I towed a 51 Commander from Cameron Tx. to Jesup Ga. years ago. I remember going through "Cut and Shoot" Tx. but we didn't stop there. NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

I was catching up my checkbook register today when I realized that a deposit slip receipt was stamped irregularly so that the amount of the deposit wasn't printed. Had to run an errand that took me within a few blocks of the bank, so decided to just drop by and have them look up the amount. Got that errand done and had pulled out of the parking lot onto the street when WHAM BAM a Hawk turned onto that same street headed the other way. I tried to make a friendly wave to him, but wasn't sure he saw it. Made one heck of a u-turn to get to going the same direction and just barely had it in my view about 4 or 5 blocks away. Saw him turn, so I turned where I thought he had. Wrong street. Went down a whole block and then turned so I went down the next street. Figured I had lost him, though. Went slowly down that block and there it was, inside of a garage. whew! Got out and rang the doorbell and introduced myself as the crazy guy who was waving and he said he saw me. Started the Stude conversation and had a great 15 minute time. A 1957 Silver Hawk, 289, factory leather, 3 speed with OD, 7.50x15 tires, and on and on. A really nice car. Not restored, just maintained. He needs the doors and trunk worked on and that's about it. Black with off-white fin inserts. He bought it 5 years ago from a man in Sweetwater, Texas who had the original bill of sale from Ball and Ball Motors in Cisco, Texas in March, 1957. For those of you unfamiliar with Texas, Sweetwater is town and Cisco ain't. Can't believe Cisco actually had a dealer in it. My dad went to junior college there. wow. Oh, and that is where Hilton's first hotel property is. Sure is a nice car. He doesn't care to join the local or national club, though. Maybe someday, I got his name.

Why in the world would a Studebaker owner not join a Studebaker specific organization? answer========= He does not want TW to appear in his mail box once a month. Membership fee is miniscule and seems like to him too good to be true. May be a Lone Wolf. May be anti-social. Wishes to entertain himself with the notion that he may have the last remaining Studebaker on the planet and doesn't want his acquaintenances to think otherwise.. You probably busted this guys bubble. Doesn't have an extra 20 bucks. Gets all his tech info off of the net. Doesn't like small or large gatherings. I think you have to be a national member before joining a chapter. More junk mail. jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Yeah, we live in Texas and there definitely are some fun names for towns (I have driven through said "Cut and Shoot" a few times). Other favorites are Dime Box, Reklaw (it's walker spelled backwards, as their signs proclaim), and of course distant sounding ones like China, Nome, Paris, Idaho and Moscow (when the gas station and post office are the same building you know it isn't a metropolis). I go to school in Nacogdoches, not exactly a normal name either...oh well, back to Studebakers.

A guy in the subdivision next to us in Spring Texas had a GT hawk for a while that I was quite excited about. I am pretty sure he never joined the club but it was neat to see him with a Studebaker in addition to his usual Trans am. It wasn't a show car, but was in okay shape, then somebody seemed to have bashed in the windshield with a baseball bat, he sold it soon after.

Spence Gaskin

Comment

While you on the subject of Texas I was down near Killeen in 2003. My buddy and I bought a 63 Daytona Convertible and R2 Superhawk off a guy named Bo Markham, just wondering if anyone knows if big Bo is still residing down there. Cheers Brian.
                      Brian Greenall
                      Melbourne, OZ
                      sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Why in the world would a Studebaker owner not join a Studebaker specific organization? answer========= He does not want TW to appear in his mail box once a month. Membership fee is miniscule and seems like to him too good to be true. May be a Lone Wolf. May be anti-social. Wishes to entertain himself with the notion that he may have the last remaining Studebaker on the planet and doesn't want his acquaintenances to think otherwise.. You probably busted this guys bubble. Doesn't have an extra 20 bucks. Gets all his tech info off of the net. Doesn't like small or large gatherings. I think you have to be a national member before joining a chapter. More junk mail. jimmijim
                        It doesn't make sense to me either, but I run into this quite a bit. There is a guy in the area who has a 1939 Champion and beautiful 1930's Dictator or something. I have never met the guy or seen his cars, but word came to me about him ans his cars, through an AACA member. The fellow lives in a town were two very active Studebaker guys live and neither even knew he or his cars existed. I called him and he sounded sort of interested. I sent him newsletters for a few months, but he never joined. He is not a member of SDC or our local chapter.

I have met in person folks who have Studebakers and just will not join up with us. At first this sort of hurt my feelings a bit, it I have come to understand that some folks are just not "joiners" and simply don't want to be bothered.

Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapte
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

When I drove my driver stude in the 70's, I drove it for the loner image: didn't join clubs and just had to be different. When I bought a basket stude 30 years later, there was an SDC license plate surround in the trunk and I chuckled. So that's what happens to SDC cars? When I started to restore the car, I went on the web and found this forum. Then I realized what the club does and I joined. I can't believe the help and support I've found, and being a member makes my car no less special. Thanks all.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                          X