This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Go-Devil

So! Studebaker was also a pioneer in snowmobiles!
    This photo is from 1924 and is on the online database of photos at the Minnesota Historical Society. There are several other pictures of Studebaker buildings and car shows in the Minneapolis area on the site.

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I nominate him for lifetime membership in the 'Hole In The Hood Gang"
    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I nominate him for lifetime membership in the 'Hole In The Hood Gang"
      Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
      Brooklet, Georgia
      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
      '61 Hawk (project)
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I looked up "accident waiting to happen" in the dictionary, and this picture was there [)]

(actually I think he needs a bigger air foil if he ever expects to get that thing off the ground )

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I looked up "accident waiting to happen" in the dictionary, and this picture was there [)]

(actually I think he needs a bigger air foil if he ever expects to get that thing off the ground )

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I wanna see that guy in the front cockpit keep his hat on when they give that baby the gas.[8]

Can anyone make out what's written on it. Looks like "2 weeks Sunday ______________ Dept."[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I wanna see that guy in the front cockpit keep his hat on when they give that baby the gas.[8]

Can anyone make out what's written on it. Looks like "2 weeks Sunday ______________ Dept."[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Looks like "Chuck @ Adv. Dept." Maybe a contact in Advertising?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard
                http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                Clark in San Diego
                '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

Looks like "Chuck @ Adv. Dept." Maybe a contact in Advertising?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard
                  Clark in San Diego
                  '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                    Can anyone make out what's written on it.
                    I think it says...

"2 minutes later
                    these guys were dead"

(actually, I think it says

"2 wks Sunday
                    Charge adv Dept"

maybe a joy ride charged to the company?)

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                      Can anyone make out what's written on it.
                      I think it says...

"2 minutes later
                      these guys were dead"

(actually, I think it says

"2 wks Sunday
                      Charge adv Dept"

maybe a joy ride charged to the company?)

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Is that even a Studebaker engine? Or is it a Liberty airplane engine? Either way, it looks like a pre-1920 design to me.

I don't think Studebaker Corp. had a hand in it, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Looks to me that maybe it was built/sponsored by a local Studebaker dealer.

Snowplanes like this were popular do-it-yourself projects in those days, and a number of them survive in museums on the Prairies here in Canada. They are really only practical in open country on flat ground. Hills, bush, and wire fences bring them to a halt.

This one almost looks like its intended for use on a frozen lake; the skis are awfully small for deep snow on land.

Biggs is right, the guy in the front cockpit will lose his hat in a hurry, and lose his nose to frostbite about 5 minutes later, LOL.

Seems to me a lot of the propellor's thrust will be lost in backwash against the bluff bows of that thing, too. I think Armand Bombardier really did have a better idea.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Is that even a Studebaker engine? Or is it a Liberty airplane engine? Either way, it looks like a pre-1920 design to me.

I don't think Studebaker Corp. had a hand in it, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Looks to me that maybe it was built/sponsored by a local Studebaker dealer.

Snowplanes like this were popular do-it-yourself projects in those days, and a number of them survive in museums on the Prairies here in Canada. They are really only practical in open country on flat ground. Hills, bush, and wire fences bring them to a halt.

This one almost looks like its intended for use on a frozen lake; the skis are awfully small for deep snow on land.

Biggs is right, the guy in the front cockpit will lose his hat in a hurry, and lose his nose to frostbite about 5 minutes later, LOL.

Seems to me a lot of the propellor's thrust will be lost in backwash against the bluff bows of that thing, too. I think Armand Bombardier really did have a better idea.

Comment

This thing seems like a contradiction. We have what was obviously a streamlined plane fuselage of the day but there is no cowling above the ski crossmember or around the engine. I agree with Gord that those ski's look more at home on an ice boat. I would hate to be in it at speed when a good crosswind hit. [:0] As the saying goes, you could [:X] your a** goodbye!

(I have been waiting for a chance to use the kissie one )

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

This thing seems like a contradiction. We have what was obviously a streamlined plane fuselage of the day but there is no cowling above the ski crossmember or around the engine. I agree with Gord that those ski's look more at home on an ice boat. I would hate to be in it at speed when a good crosswind hit. [:0] As the saying goes, you could [:X] your a** goodbye!

(I have been waiting for a chance to use the kissie one )

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                              Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Working...
                              X