Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look like a Studebaker Buggy?

Hello all,

Still doing research on my Great-Great Grandfathers Studebaker business. I came across this picture of his Produce Company Store in 1906. To the far left of the main picture is a small horse drawn carriage. I also included a zoomed image. Anyone out there think this might be a Studebaker brand carriage? There was a hardware store in Wenatchee Washington at that time that sold the Studebaker brand....it's conceivable this also could be one.

Sorry about some of the picture quality...the original that was scanned was not of the best quality!

1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Well, George, from such a small picture it's really hard to tell you much of anything except that the vehicle is a Piano Box Buggy. It has rather stout wheels and sits a bit higher than average and just might have rubber tyres. These indicate a good maker, possibly Studebaker, but only possibly.

The Ubiquious Piano Box Buggy was the most common vehicle made in the late Nineteenth Century. They were comfortable to drive, cheap, light and very sturdy. The design was easy to mass-produce and hence every major manufacturer made them. Now, going by the numbers, since Studebaker produced wagons and carriages toward the end of the Nineteenth four to one to any of their closest competetors (and there were very few of those), then you have a four-to-one chance this is a Studebaker.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
    X