I want one, only $12,500.00 Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want one, only $12,500.00 Roadster

Some day, Some Day you will be mine either one Roadster new $12,500.00 Phaeton $13,500.00

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

The roadster sure looks nice. Were any of the production Excaliburs Stude powered? I know the prototype had a Stude 289.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

As I understand it, the Excalibur was a spin off from the "Studebaker SS" concept prototype that came from the mind of Brooks Stevens. The original prototype was the only one that was Studebaker powered.

I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Jon Stalnaker
      Editor, Hawk Talks
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I think you could buy them as a kit car, A friend here in California has one on a hawk frame and R-2 powered,Years back I was at the Brooks Stevens museum in Wis. and he had #1 and #2 there and also a 74 with 25,000 miles and the 454 engine and wanted $22,000.00 for it I really wanted it but time was not right, I sat in his office with him for over a hour talking about Studebakers and the Excalibur, he said there were more Excaliburs built than Avantis and Avanit ll's, some place he gave my a list of production by years, he was a special person we talked about an hour and my sister-in-law took pictures when we got home we found her camera didn't work and nothing came out, I said no problem I want to go back again anyway, he passed away that next Jan. so never got them again, I had met him twice and that might be for a extra topic...Bob

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Hi, Bob,

Agreed, the Studebaker SS and it's Excalibur derivative is beautiful to look at. However, If you haven't driven one, do yourself a favor and put a few highway miles and around town miles on one before you buy it. I know of two instances where this wasn't done and great unhappiness ensued. One guy bought a roadster, brought it home and took his wife for a ride. Her ride lasted less than a mile and she would never get in it again. Her verdict; The low-cut doors didn't feel safe, the wind blew her hair, it rode rough, was noisy, looked old. The other owner I knew said his phaeton was the most time-consuming car to detail he'd ever owned. He like to take it to car shows, but all the chrome, external exhausts and wire spokes and louvers and nooks and crannies took him ten times as long to clean as his previous Avanti.

Your car, your money, your decision; due diligence is recommended prior to purchase.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Jack ya I know how the little ones ride like a lumber wagon, and trying to keep up with either would be a problem but they sure have a nice look at least to me...Bob

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

grandpa grandpa!!!!!! i want 1!!!!!!!!

Comment

Who is this new dude, trying to be my grandson???, I just found one but have sold the 53 to get it, I know you would not mind..

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

As a Series 1 SSK owner... find, drive, buy... laugh all day long!!!

Comment

Do they all come with those Broken axles?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Huh? I guess I must be old and feeble, StudeRich. I don't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                        Some day, Some Day you will be mine either one Roadster new $12,500.00 Phaeton $13,500.00

Castro Valley, CA

Well I don't know what else to call it, broken axle, bent spindles? Bent wheels? What?
                        Those Wheels must have 3 to 4 Inches of Negative Camber!

Of course it may be a bad picture scan angle.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-19-2013, 05:21 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Like the old Indy racing pix, I just shut out artifacts of the photo process without thinking about it... sorry!

Comment

If you look at the right rear it looks similarly. With a solid rear axle that would be impossible so I expect its a camera angle thing.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Btw, for accuracy, only the Series 1 X's (1965-1969) had solid rear axles (Spicer/Dana 44 limited-slips, complete with traction bars). With the Series 2 came not only a new frame but all-independent suspensions--front AND rear, courtesy of Corvette.

Comment

Working...
                              X