Removing Paint Plastic Model Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Paint Plastic Model Stude

I have a hard to find 1/32 scale Avanti AMT plastic car that was assembled and painted with a brush. Looks kinda bad. Is there a solvent that will remove the paint but not melt the plastic? Lacquer thinner would not work. I am that smart.

Hi

GoJo hand cleaner worked for me, repeated applications.

Steve

Comment

Easy Off oven cleaner. Don't leave it on too long though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I've heard brake fluid will work.

But like the others have said, anything that will remove paint isn't likely to be kind to plastic...

BTW: I'm pretty sure the 1/32 scale Avanti was made by Revell, not AMT.
        AMT's was the standard 1/25th...you can buy them at S-I.
        The 1/32nd scale kits didn't have opening hoods or engine details.

As a kid my brother had all the Revell 1/32 scale car kits: Avanti, 60 T-Bird, 63 Corvette HT...the Avanti was my favorite and was red. Later in the 60s, they added cars like the Camaro, Mustang and Opel GT.
        A few years back I was in a small town and found a NOS Revell 1/32nd Opel GT kit...I had no idea it was so rare, but I hear all the Revell 1/32 kits are.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Depending on condition you could possibly wet sand with fine grit and reprime and paint with Testors model paint. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

brake fluid is the stuff for stripping a plastic model. in fact I believe I did just that when I wasn't happy with the paint on... an Avanti model kit, years ago.

IIRC, I then painted it to my satisfaction and then somehow irreparably broke one of the windshield pillars before I ever got it together, no doubt trying to do something cool and custom...

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The box says AMT. I could not find a date on the box.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa

The box says AMT. I could not find a date on the box.
                I stand corrected..it is AMT...[:I][:I][:I]
                I must be getting old!!!!

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I don't know if the type of plastic used for these kits is or has been the same all the time [?] It occured to me if you have some of those frame or tree pieces the parts are attached to from another kit left around (that normally get tossed) you could soak them in the solvent you want to test and see what happens. If they get melted or whatever, its no loss of a valuable item...

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

pick up a copy of "fine scaler modeler" they have ads for paint removers and other topics. they also have a web site but try fine scale modeler.com and it should come up or the squadern shop.com

Comment

Hate to strech this thread but when I home in Ohio visiting I went up in the attic and found my 63 corvette plastic model. It is one thet is about 36 inches long. It needs work. Does anyone know where I can go to get a value on it?? I remenber getting it for xmas and Santa (wink wink) bought it a Kroger grocery store. Back then a lot of the big models were sold in the Grocery stores at xmas. Thanks

Comment

Be careful with the brake fluid and the Easy Off. Since the model train parts are plastic as well, it will do a couple of things. Depending on the maker of the train parts it will
                        Remove the paint without a problem
                        Remove the paint and soften the plastic
                        Remove the paint and turn the plastic to mush

I would suggest using the solvent in light application with a toothbrush until the paint peels up from underneath.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00015-2-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Brake fluid works.

Also, a product called Wesley's Bleach White which is used to clean whitewalls! It is sold here at local Murray's and Pep Boys in gallon jugs. Pour the Wesley's into a container large enough to submerge your model body. Put the body in the Wesley's and leave overnight. The next morning you will have nice white plastic.

Frank Remlinger
                          SDC# A004602R
                          Frank Remlinger
                          Detroit, Michigan
                          SDC# A004602R

Comment

When I was kitbashing some Lionel made American Flyers cars a while ago a fellow train modeler suggested PineSol to strip paint from plastic, and yes it works. Fill a bucket with PineSol, toss in the plastic piece and let it soak. After a day or two use a soft brush and wisk the paint off. Some paint might take longer

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
                            The Replacements.
                            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                            The Replacements.

Comment

Wesley's usually works for me. Use an old tooth brush, or the like, for stubborn spots. Just soak like Frank says.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X