Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Studebaker Power in National Press!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Studebaker Power in National Press!

More good news on two fronts: Studebaker emerges further from the shadows and onto the national hot-rod scene:

1. 'Just got my subscriber's copy of the March 2007 Ol' Skool Rodz in this morning's mail. At least one Studebaker-powered feature: a 1937 Ford pickup rod (heavily modified) built and owned by West Vancouver, British Columbia Shop Owner Laurie Peterson.

The pickup's motive power, shiny and well-exposed, is, to quote the article's text..."A 289 engine that came out of the '63 Studebaker Hawk his Dad owned, and in which Laurie learned to drive. He says, 'It not only looks right [damn straight![}]], but it's cool to have Dad's old Studey motor up there.'" [^]

He modified a Cadillac dual-deuce manifold to fit the Stude, and topped it with a pair of Rochester 2-bbls. He bought a set of Studebaker/Offenhauser NOS valve covers on e-bay and hand-built a set of baffled headers that look real cool. [] He had the headers nickel-plated.

(Our SDC roster shows a Roy Peterson in West Vancouver BC, who is listed as owning a 1963 Hawk. Anyone know Roy, and if his Hawk's engine might have found its final resting place in a customized '37 Ford pickup?)

2. Hemmings Muscle Machines / Hemmings Classic Car photographer Roy Query of Indianapolis contacted Ted Harbit this past mild weekend (December 16/17, 2006). 'Seems as though 'Ol Roy (isn't that Sam Walton's dog's name[?]) wanted to come up to Ted's and do a photo shoot of The Stude Tomato...and drop off the standard Hemmings forms for Ted to fill out about the car!!! [] Nothing cast in stone, here, but they don't send photographers out on photo shoots just to pass the time.

(For any newbies: The Stude Tomato is Ted Harbit's 1963 Lark Custom 2-door R2/4-speed, Certified Stock for The Pure Stock Drags and one of two notorious spoilers at the event. You'll read all about the September 2006 Pure Stock Drags adventures in the February 2007 Turning Wheels.)

Ted also reported Roy wanting many shots of The Tomato doing burnouts, and the resulting smoke being so thick around the car...and wafting off into the barren corn fields...that Ted couldn't even see Roy doing the photographing! [}]

(Ted is not fond of excessive burnouts and generally considers them a bit much braggadocious showmanship, as opposed to being anything useful, so he was relieved when that portion of the shoot was over. Ted said the tires got so hot they picked up gravel as he drove the car back into the garage...and thank goodness for flanged axles! [:0])

The beat goes on! Cheers. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

1. 'Just got my subscriber's copy of the March 2007 Ol' Skool Rodz in this morning's mail. At least one Studebaker-powered feature: a 1937 Ford pickup rod (heavily modified) built and owned by West Vancouver, British Columbia Shop Owner Laurie Peterson.

The pickup's motive power, shiny and well-exposed, is, to quote the article's text..."A 289 engine that came out of the '63 Studebaker Hawk his Dad owned, and in which Laurie learned to drive. He says, 'It not only looks right [damn straight![}]], but it's cool to have Dad's old Studey motor up there.'" [^]

He modified a Cadillac dual-deuce manifold to fit the Stude, and topped it with a pair of Rochester 2-bbls. He bought a set of Studebaker/Offenhauser NOS valve covers on e-bay and hand-built a set of baffled headers that look real cool. [] He had the headers nickel-plated.

(Our SDC roster shows a Roy Peterson in West Vancouver BC, who is listed as owning a 1963 Hawk. Anyone know Roy, and if his Hawk's engine might have found its final resting place in a customized '37 Ford pickup?)
    That truck was at GoodGuys Puyallup last July. Also at the Seattle Roadster show and other major hot rod events. Here it is at Puyallup...

It is truly a FIRST CLASS job. Quite creative.

I was Stude shopping in West Vancouver, BC, yesterday (West Vancouver is actually north of Vancouver...go figure). I bought a BEAUTIFUL '63 4 speed Hamilton assembled GT from John Liepins. John is the second owner and bought the car in 1975. (Still has the original numbers matching 289, though [^].)

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

That truck was at GoodGuys Puyallup last July. Also at the Seattle Roadster show and other major hot rod events. Here it is at Puyallup...

It is truly a FIRST CLASS job. Quite creative.

I was Stude shopping in West Vancouver, BC, yesterday (West Vancouver is actually north of Vancouver...go figure). I bought a BEAUTIFUL '63 4 speed Hamilton assembled GT from John Liepins. John is the second owner and bought the car in 1975. (Still has the original numbers matching 289, though [^].)

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

That truck was at GoodGuys Puyallup last July. Also at the Seattle Roadster show and other major hot rod events.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        THANKS, Dick! That's the One! []

'Glad to see Laurie got such nice coverage in a national magazine. Not only does Ol' Skool Rodz give it 7 1/2 full-color pages inside[], but I forgot to mention it is on the front cover of the magazine, too! BIG spread, and the Stude V-8 is dead center the biggest thing on the cover.

(Man, I hate to admit it, but the main reason I didn't notice the Stude engine on the cover was because I was studying the -ahem- feminine decoration sitting on the truck's cowl with one spike heel wedged in an intake manifold runner!) [}]

[8D] Cool! [8D] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

That truck was at GoodGuys Puyallup last July. Also at the Seattle Roadster show and other major hot rod events.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA
          THANKS, Dick! That's the One! []

'Glad to see Laurie got such nice coverage in a national magazine. Not only does Ol' Skool Rodz give it 7 1/2 full-color pages inside[], but I forgot to mention it is on the front cover of the magazine, too! BIG spread, and the Stude V-8 is dead center the biggest thing on the cover.

(Man, I hate to admit it, but the main reason I didn't notice the Stude engine on the cover was because I was studying the -ahem- feminine decoration sitting on the truck's cowl with one spike heel wedged in an intake manifold runner!) [}]

[8D] Cool! [8D] BP

Comment

Alan Mayes who is the editor at Ol' Skool Rodz used to live in Indiana and not that far from South Bend...Thus the magazine has given every now and then reasonable space to Stude-powered rods. Eg. in one of the older issues ( #3 in 2004 ) there is a neat 4-page coverage on a Stude-powered Track nose roadster "Studetracker". And sure there are some 53-55 coupes every now and then in event features etc. in the magazine!

This is what Alan e-mailed to me when I submitted some materials to him two years ago:

" Pekka , I did not know that you were a Studebaker lover. My previous home was in Indiana, only a hundred miles from the old Studebaker factory. I have always loved Studebakers and actually was considering several of them when I bought my Edsel...."[8D]

Well, let's hope that Alan gets tired with his 1959 Edsel....

Golden Hawk 1958
            President State Coupe 1955 (Mild Kustom)
            sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Alan Mayes who is the editor at Ol' Skool Rodz used to live in Indiana and not that far from South Bend...Thus the magazine has given every now and then reasonable space to Stude-powered rods. Eg. in one of the older issues ( #3 in 2004 ) there is a neat 4-page coverage on a Stude-powered Track nose roadster "Studetracker". And sure there are some 53-55 coupes every now and then in event features etc. in the magazine!

This is what Alan e-mailed to me when I submitted some materials to him two years ago:

" Pekka , I did not know that you were a Studebaker lover. My previous home was in Indiana, only a hundred miles from the old Studebaker factory. I have always loved Studebakers and actually was considering several of them when I bought my Edsel...."[8D]

Well, let's hope that Alan gets tired with his 1959 Edsel....

Golden Hawk 1958
              President State Coupe 1955 (Mild Kustom)
              sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Hudson Terraplane front grill ??
                64 Champ long bed V8
                55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

64 Champ long bed V8
                  55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                  53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Yep, Hudson/Terraplane front grille. Perhaps Dick has a detail photo of it...if not, there is a detailed one in the Ol' Skool Rodz article. BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Yep, Hudson/Terraplane front grille. Perhaps Dick has a detail photo of it...if not, there is a detailed one in the Ol' Skool Rodz article. BP

Comment

Perhaps Dick has a detail photo of it...if not, there is a detailed one in the Ol' Skool Rodz article. BP
                        Sorry...that's all the pictures I took of this truck.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Perhaps Dick has a detail photo of it...if not, there is a detailed one in the Ol' Skool Rodz article. BP
                          Sorry...that's all the pictures I took of this truck.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                          X