Boycott South Bend!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boycott South Bend!!!

Guys can't we do something about the SASCO situation? We have @ 12,000 members in SDC and more Studebaker drivers that are not members that travel to SB for meets. I think we must try to petition the city to keep SASCO open if that don't work, maybe drastic measures must be made such as dealing with the city to have all International meets in SB in return for extending SASCO's lease. If that doesn't work we should NEVER host another meet in SB of any kind. The economics of an Int. meet have to be substantial not to mention smaller meets.

While I realize why the meets move around, and many won't be able to travel to SB every year, maintaining parts to keep our cars & trucks moving around is more important. Also the SB meets are usaully the largest. It may be time to play hardball with SB if we fail we fail, but at least we tried.

Just thinking out loud, let me know your thoughts, I'm sure I havn't completely thought this through so let me know what i've missed.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Guys can't we do something about the SASCO situation? We have @ 12,000 members in SDC and more Studebaker drivers that are not members that travel to SB for meets. I think we must try to petition the city to keep SASCO open if that don't work, maybe drastic measures must be made such as dealing with the city to have all International meets in SB in return for extending SASCO's lease. If that doesn't work we should NEVER host another meet in SB of any kind. The economics of an Int. meet have to be substantial not to mention smaller meets.

While I realize why the meets move around, and many won't be able to travel to SB every year, maintaining parts to keep our cars & trucks moving around is more important. Also the SB meets are usaully the largest. It may be time to play hardball with SB if we fail we fail, but at least we tried.

Just thinking out loud, let me know your thoughts, I'm sure I havn't completely thought this through so let me know what i've missed.

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

Please don't, we did pressure South Bend once, but not this time. Dennis is one of many that has to be out of there buildings and Dennis is not interested in another move at this point. He wants to sell what he can, then hopefully have a big vendor pick up the rest.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

1. Folks don't negotiate very well with a gun to their head. Threatening SB most likely won't have the desired results...may have the opposite results.

2. SB is going to do what is best for SB. We'd have to show that having a couple of thousand folks in SB for a week every year for an IM would bring in more revenue, more tax dollars, and make SB a cleaner, better place to live than the renovation they have planned for the old Stude plant area. I don't believe we could show this. It's a business problem and we won't get anywhere making it an emotional issue.

It is sad that SASCO has to vacate. I wish they didn't. I like dealing with Dennis and his crew. They have been great for the hobby and will be sorely missed if it ends up they don't just relocate. A lot can happen in the next year.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree that 'negotiating' with the city in this way would have minimal impact. But the city put Dennis in that building. It's like a little kids game of 'Indian Giver'.

I personally will spend no money in the City of South Bend other than the museum or a vendor. If I'm there in 2012, I will tell you now I'll be staying in a hotel/motel outside the city limits. I also think this should be the last swap meet there. Again, put it in a neighboring town so the museum is a short drive away.

Heck, I might just stay in Michigan instead of Indiana.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I for one understand your thinking Dick, but also don't like this City or any other City only thinking their way is always the best and most times they are wrong, If they don't think keeping some part of Studebaker around other than the Museum they are wrong and should try and help, If this does go down I have no interest in another national in South Bend proper, but in another town close so the museum would get our help but not the city I'am all for that. I really enjoyed the last national at South Bend Phil Brown and crew did a super job and know how to do things right, can't say that for the 2002 meet there . The City doesn't deserve any thing from us if they let this happen and having it close where another town would gain I like that idea , lets keep something going on this subject...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Tom and Bob,
            That's called "cutting off your nose to spite your face" .

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I live nearby and honestly the town is a dump anyway. Other than the museum and SASCO, I have absolutely no reason to go. I live in Porter county, about an hour away and we would be more than happy to host the Studebaker meet. If Dennis could find a building, who would move his stuff andhow long would it take?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Tom and Bob,
                That's called "cutting off your nose to spite your face" .
                Dick, it's called voting with your wallet. Studebaker stuff is the only reason for me to go to South Bend. I understand knocking down abandoned buildings, but putting a viable company out of business to put another strip mall in or a parking lot isn't right either.

Being in a motel/hotel outside of South Bend will just let me drive my car more. Personally I'd talk to the owners of the test track and ask about hosting the National Meet as far as showing off the cars, judging and a swap meet. There has to be hotels close by.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDC

If Dennis could find a building, who would move his stuff andhow long would it take?
                  As I understood it from the last crisis, semi-truck load after semi-truck load. I personally would be willing to rent a U-Haul truck (large) for a week to move parts, but you'd need a small army of medium duty trucks to move everything.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Why the City of South Bend wants to put an honest employer (and a bonafide "Studebaker tourist" destination) out of business boggles the mind. It was cruel of the city to offer Dennis the current building while at the same time plotting and planning to get rid of everything in the old Studebaker corridor, including, in time, SASCO. I wouldn't pressure the city. I have a feeling in a few years the city will realize it shot itself in the head. Let's be thankful we have a world-class museum. Let's visit it and support the museum and, if you have a mind to, stay overnight in a "South Bend-adjacent" city while you're there. With any luck Dennis can find the means to relocate at least some of his parts into a new venue outside City of South Bend control.

John Waddell
                    Studedude1961

Comment

The last move took 1500 LTL loads. This was in the citys plan as they had a 10 year lease. Jim

Comment

1500 Light Truck Loads is a lot of U-Hauls![:0] The logistics of it are... paralyzing.[8][V]

Still... it could be done...

This kind of thing is not uncommon though. I have a friend in Mo. who was involved in saving the historic downtown area of her city from just such a mindset as South Bend. And that downtown wasn't the dump that South Bend is described as. In fact, they'd restored the buildings and part of it was re-done as a pedestrian mall. The area had a tenancy ratio of 80%, which is respectable. However, the Feds offer redevelopment money for any area the city deems 'blighted.' So, what's happening to SASCO is reprehensible, but not unexpected.

As to that little historic district in Mo? They drove the city off and were able to preserve it.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Write the city.
                          Express yourself, it's a (more or less) free country.

They might have an option.
                          Maybe contacting the local Congressman wouldn't hurt if Federal redevelopment efforts are helping cause this. Dennis might get some help from the feds...maybe the small busines admin could help..if he wants to move.
                          If he wants to pack it in, that's his choice and it's up to us to buy what we need and hope other vendors take the rest.

See Ed Reynolds post on the other SASCO thread.
                          He doesn't see mass scrappings of stock.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I don't agree with the gun to the head don't work.
                            Enemy forces were always more compliant with guns
                            to their heads. But, the way it sounds it's a mute
                            point anyway. Sounds like they are ready to quit.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I wish we never went back for a meet. The town is a dump. Haveing the show and vendors far away from the hotel is stupid. Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X