Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a body part (for the car this time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a body part (for the car this time)

Took the '51 to the strip Saturday and there was a strong head wind and must have been too much for the right side rocker moulding as I saw it was gone when I unloaded it yesterday.

It is illustration 2119-10 part number 289154. I'm going over Wednesday (next time the strip is open) and see if I can find it. It may be mangled even if I do find it.

It is the same on all '51 and '52 Champions and Commanders, four doors, two doors, Starlight Coupes, and Business Coupes (W, F, C, and Q models). May be the same on some earlier years but I don't have an earlier book.

If anyone has one and might be coming to South Bend this week end, please email me ( tedharbit@aol.com ) or call 765-948-5051.

Thanks

Ted

Most 1951 Studes were engineered to go 100 mph, were you speeding Theodore, weve told you and told you.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Ted saw some video of how fighter pilots drop their fuel tanks
      to lighten the craft and reduce drag when they go into combat.

He is always willing to try another new idea.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Ted, Why do you tease us like that ??? How was the racing? Any new records? Have you lightened that car yet? I'm eager to see what it'll do with a few hundred pounds lopped off of it. C'mon, man, give.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Is this what you need Ted?

The 2 "smooth" ones are 76 1/2" long
          The other is about the same length... but I think it's '42-'49

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

That appears to be it. Mine is 76" long. The front is closed and the back is open. Go ahead and send the right one (289154) and let me know how much to send or I can payment back with the delivery guy.

Thanks.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

Is this what you need Ted?

The 2 "smooth" ones are 76 1/2" long
            The other is about the same length... but I think it's '42-'49

Ray

Comment

Ray, the flat end is the front. The curved is the rear.

I'd like to add that I always thought these mouldings were odd in that they end so abruptly at the front and don't progress onto the lower edge of the front fenders. I know some earlier cars (50 maybe - too lazy to haul out the parts book!) did have a pointed frinish piece for the lower front fenders. But they're not the same size (width) as the 51-52 style.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well Sal, I really didn't want to have to divulge any of this. It was the first time out this year and I decided to take the '51 to the strip. Got everything ready, had the car ready to load onto the truck, got in and battery was dead. That should have been the signal to stay home but I pushed the car back to the garage where I could hook up the charger and get it started. Put the charger and extension cord in the trunk, loaded up and took off.

Got to the strip, unloaded, charged the battery for about 15 minutes then drove it over to be teched. That all went ok. First run I had a .186 reaction and the car came out ok but about 20 feet out I must have been out of the "groove" as it started spinning and going to the left. I knew I had over revved it before I got out of it and straightened out. So much for that run.

Next I found the exhaust temp battery was dead (little 9 volt battery) so didn't get any reading on that. Had another battery in the glove box and put it in and next run, found it was dead also. Would come on for about 10 seconds then die.

Second run I thought I would up the boost a pound or so and found I couldn't set the pressure regulator for some reason. I would set it and it would read what I wanted and next time it would be way off. Anyway on the second run I was really improving as I had a .209 light. I had my hand on the shifter and when I took off it jerked my hand back so immediately went into second gear. Then about halfway down the track it started popping and carrying on and I looked at the pressure gauge and it was at about 24 pounds! Normally don't go over 18 pounds. Had to back off so this run was not worth much either.

Came back and lowered the pressure regulator so don't know where it's at now and eliminations are up next. There was a 10.67 on the dial board from the last time I ran last year so I decided to just leave it at that. Had to run a Mustang dialed at 11.11. He had a .046 light so I knew I could catch him so I waited and got a .274 light! Figured if I ran many more times I would run out of gas setting on the line waiting to go. With a light that bad, the race was already over.

Anyway, caught him and hit the brakes before the finish line. Probably killed about 10 mph but still broke out with a 10.43 @ 125.4 mph. Coming back the return road I noticed the amp gauge was at discharge. When I got back to the pits I found the belt was gone. By this time I was wondering what else could go wrong. I had another belt in the trunk so put it on but was done for the night unless I wanted to buy back in and figured with my fabulous lights, no sense in that.

Loaded up and came home and after showering, decided to look at the video of the gauges. I told Mary Ann when I got home I either have to admit I'm too old for this and give it up, or the operation really took a toll on me, or I'm going to have to start going a LOT more for practice.

When I looked at the video I about had to shower again when I saw what happened on the first run. Found out the rev limiter was not working either and the tach went to 8000 rpm before I got out of it!
                I try to keep it no more than 7000 and usually shift at 6500.

Not done yet. There was about a 20-25 mph head wind and Sunday when I unloaded it I found I lost the right rocker chrome strip.

So now you can see why I wasn't too thrilled to relay any information and the only records set were the worst reactions ever and more things gone wrong in one night than ever before.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Ted, Why do you tease us like that ??? How was the racing? Any new records? Have you lightened that car yet? I'm eager to see what it'll do with a few hundred pounds lopped off of it. C'mon, man, give.

sals54

Comment

Sorry about all that, Ted...but look at it this way. You got all your "bad luck" over with in one night! [8D]. Next time out...no problems and 00 lights

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ted, Yeah, I'll have to agree with Dick on this one. Now you're ready for the season. It does not appear that anything else could go wrong for you. All in all, though, the car is still together after the over-rev so that's a testimony to the great build. Not to mention the 24 lbs of boost. HOLY MOLY. How many other cars would survive that ???? Great work Ted. You're my hero, win or lose on the track. Keep up the good work. I really do love hearing the stories.

sals54
                    sals54

Comment

A bad day racing is still better than working, I dont go racing very often anymore but we had a antique nationals here in Tulsa, we had 3 ET bracket classes I was in #2 i was prepared to go this time,i worked on my car all week before the meet (a 34 Chev 3/w coupe street rod). I won the #2 bracket and won best street rod. I felt good after someone got on to me about makeing a big burn out,(He told me it wasn't a top fuel car). after winning the class we had to run against the other brackets for top bracket. I was thrilled and got to the line and pulled a bad RT..603 0n a .500 light. but still had a great weekend, Taught myself to be better prepared for the next time i go race.
                      I could never compare myself with what you do Ted your amazing with what you have done with a Stude and had fun for a life time.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                      X