This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did they do this??

Having similar issues with the 1961 Lark we just purchased. Bulbs just hanging. gas guage didn't work cause they routed the wire under the bumper? They had rags on the windshield wipers cause they didn't change the blades. The drain was plugged in the cowl. Screws loose for choke.Fuel pump, couldn't find manual so they cut the metal line off rerouted with reg. hose put electric pump on. No filter so it was shot.
    Its amazing just a few hour work TLC and common sense and 100 percent improvement.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    61 Lark VIII
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Having similar issues with the 1961 Lark we just purchased. Bulbs just hanging. gas guage didn't work cause they routed the wire under the bumper? They had rags on the windshield wipers cause they didn't change the blades. The drain was plugged in the cowl. Screws loose for choke.Fuel pump, couldn't find manual so they cut the metal line off rerouted with reg. hose put electric pump on. No filter so it was shot.
    Its amazing just a few hour work TLC and common sense and 100 percent improvement.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    61 Lark VIII
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Why did they do this??

Have you ever bought an old car and found "things" that previous owners did or neglected that makes you ask why? I'm getting a lot of this with the 64 I just purchased:
      The front seatbelts were removed, but the rears weren't. I bought a pair from Stude Int'l and they bolted right into the factory anchors. One hiccup however- the original passenger outboard anchor bolt was broken. I had a bear of a time removing it! How the heck that got broken in the first place, I'll never know!

The washers are another one. I noticed the plunger and resevoir were still present. I couldn't see any nozzles so I ordered new ones. I figured they were removed for another project in the past. Nope- I found them covered in paint below the cowl grill and the washer hozes cut and left in the cowl. The hole for the washer hozes to the engine compatment was filled with "dum dum".... I should have them up and running tomorrow when I get replacement hoses from work. Even the "T" was sitting in the cowl!

The right rear brake drum looks like it came off of an AMC. A NOS one has been found and is out at the machine shop getting pressed onto the original hub

Dash lights were hanging outside of the guages

The dome light just needed a bulb to start working again-the socket was empty!

A block heater plug was hanging from the front bumper bracket-only it led nowhere!

The choke coil screws were loose. No wonder I had a hard time starting it in the cold! The heater tube from the manifold was also disconnected!

A fuel line was dangling dangerously low from under the car- it was a 10 minute job to reroute it. The hose at the tank was also leaking-a loose clamp.

The lower rad hose had been leaking for quite some time. 17 bucks for a new hose and a clamp fixed that up.
      It's kind of like saving a neglected puppy from the pound![}]

Do people get so sick of their old cars that they can't be bothered to fix these minor issues? It's almost as bad as my first car that had quarter panels made out of bondo and beer bottle caps!

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
      64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

Why? Because to most people, cars are an appliance, and if it is new, lends them prestige because they can let everyone know what they can afford to drive. For the less affluent, keeping it running until they cn trade is all that matters, and whatever it takes to get it going is the extent of it. They just don't see things the way you do. Most cars do end up in the crusher before they are worn out, because only a few willingly make repairs, and even fewer do it right.

Comment

Why? Because to most people, cars are an appliance, and if it is new, lends them prestige because they can let everyone know what they can afford to drive. For the less affluent, keeping it running until they cn trade is all that matters, and whatever it takes to get it going is the extent of it. They just don't see things the way you do. Most cars do end up in the crusher before they are worn out, because only a few willingly make repairs, and even fewer do it right.

Comment

I've found those type of things often with old cars in general. At some point in time (often sooner than later), maintenance becomes a real secondary thing and as things break they are left broken or "fixed" as quickly and as cheaply as possible to keep the car operable.

I found the opposite on this '60 wagon I'm working on. All factory equipment in place and working. No "extra" holes or short term fixes. (this is NOT to say the car isn't worn or tattered in places, just not cobbled up).

The ONLY think I've found that was not right was the generator bracket. The stud in the water manifold that holds the lower end of the generator swing arm bracket had broken off at some point. The owner chose not to try to remove the broken stud and had welded an extension on to the original bracket to tie it in to a bolt on the thermostat housing. I removed the broken stud and got the correct bracket from StudeRich. Now back to 100% original . This one is rare, however, and most of my inexpensive ones have been like Todd's and Anne's.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've found those type of things often with old cars in general. At some point in time (often sooner than later), maintenance becomes a real secondary thing and as things break they are left broken or "fixed" as quickly and as cheaply as possible to keep the car operable.

I found the opposite on this '60 wagon I'm working on. All factory equipment in place and working. No "extra" holes or short term fixes. (this is NOT to say the car isn't worn or tattered in places, just not cobbled up).

The ONLY think I've found that was not right was the generator bracket. The stud in the water manifold that holds the lower end of the generator swing arm bracket had broken off at some point. The owner chose not to try to remove the broken stud and had welded an extension on to the original bracket to tie it in to a bolt on the thermostat housing. I removed the broken stud and got the correct bracket from StudeRich. Now back to 100% original . This one is rare, however, and most of my inexpensive ones have been like Todd's and Anne's.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Couple of things found on my Lark:

- Heater valve stuck mostly shut, so heater hoses disconnected and a loop installed on the water manifold.
                - Speedo cable core removed and sleeve left disconnected.
                - Parking brake cable cut off right at the frame clips on both sides. Equalizer and other e-brake hardware missing.
                - Can't find tapered lug nuts? No problem - just use flat-backed nuts with big washers behind 'em, and torque 'em down real tight! [xx(]
                - Horn circuit melted down, replaced with length of brown Zip cord.
                - Fuse holder completely removed from heater switch circuit, bare wires dangling.
                - Ignition switch probably broke, so it was replaced with a generic switch with an 8-point screw collar.
                - Twin-Traction emblem removed from trunk lid and affixed to grille. Holes in trunk (thankfully) not filled.
                - Window regulator busted; window held up using girl's hair bungee.

So far we've come - so far to go!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard
                http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                Clark in San Diego
                '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

Couple of things found on my Lark:

- Heater valve stuck mostly shut, so heater hoses disconnected and a loop installed on the water manifold.
                  - Speedo cable core removed and sleeve left disconnected.
                  - Parking brake cable cut off right at the frame clips on both sides. Equalizer and other e-brake hardware missing.
                  - Can't find tapered lug nuts? No problem - just use flat-backed nuts with big washers behind 'em, and torque 'em down real tight! [xx(]
                  - Horn circuit melted down, replaced with length of brown Zip cord.
                  - Fuse holder completely removed from heater switch circuit, bare wires dangling.
                  - Ignition switch probably broke, so it was replaced with a generic switch with an 8-point screw collar.
                  - Twin-Traction emblem removed from trunk lid and affixed to grille. Holes in trunk (thankfully) not filled.
                  - Window regulator busted; window held up using girl's hair bungee.

So far we've come - so far to go!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard
                  Clark in San Diego
                  '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

I believe the most common sign of neglect is windshield scratches
                    cause by being to lazy or cheap to purchase new blades.I've been at this 30 yrs. & I don't thiks there is much I havnt seen or heard about
                    i always said the biggest part of restoring a vintage car is fixing up what someone else has screwed up

Comment

I believe the most common sign of neglect is windshield scratches
                      cause by being to lazy or cheap to purchase new blades.I've been at this 30 yrs. & I don't thiks there is much I havnt seen or heard about
                      i always said the biggest part of restoring a vintage car is fixing up what someone else has screwed up

Comment

There's too busy or too lazy and then there's just plain stupid (often times farmers). The latter are the guys that take safety shields off of moving parts on machinery and toss them. One old boy I knew removed the power take off shield on a grain dryer and ended up losing both legs above the knees. After things healed up he hobbled around on his stumps and looked like a sawed off elephant. As a result I've spent plenty of time in salvage yards looking for replacement shields. My legs are snow white and hairy and hence not very sexy, but I want to keep them that way. By the way, if you get your legs cut off and you die years later and go to heaven, are your legs their waiting for you???

Comment

There's too busy or too lazy and then there's just plain stupid (often times farmers). The latter are the guys that take safety shields off of moving parts on machinery and toss them. One old boy I knew removed the power take off shield on a grain dryer and ended up losing both legs above the knees. After things healed up he hobbled around on his stumps and looked like a sawed off elephant. As a result I've spent plenty of time in salvage yards looking for replacement shields. My legs are snow white and hairy and hence not very sexy, but I want to keep them that way. By the way, if you get your legs cut off and you die years later and go to heaven, are your legs their waiting for you???

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff
                            My legs are snow white and hairy and hence not very sexy,
                            Hey, I resemble that remark [)]. Just the other day someone asked me..."Dick, are those your legs, or are you riding a chicken?" [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff
                              My legs are snow white and hairy and hence not very sexy,
                              Hey, I resemble that remark [)]. Just the other day someone asked me..."Dick, are those your legs, or are you riding a chicken?" [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X